Solid, dark yellow urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natschu

Reaction score
My bunny has been a bit grumpy today and thumped once or twice, but we expect it's because of the construction outside. I noticed his pee on the litterbox mat today and it looks like butterscotch. He usually is okay with peeing in the litterbox but for a while he has been peeing on the rug outside (he is not neutered yet, 7 months old).
He is drinking water regularly but not as much as I'd like him to be. He eats regularly, leafy greens twice a day and some pellets. He is in a very large x-pen and gets a lot of free roam time. Can someone please advise, is this a UTI?

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_190940.jpg
    IMG_20201109_190940.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8
My bunny has been a bit grumpy today and thumped once or twice, but we expect it's because of the construction outside. I noticed his pee on the litterbox mat today and it looks like butterscotch. He usually is okay with peeing in the litterbox but for a while he has been peeing on the rug outside (he is not neutered yet, 7 months old).
He is drinking water regularly but not as much as I'd like him to be. He eats regularly, leafy greens twice a day and some pellets. He is in a very large x-pen and gets a lot of free roam time. Can someone please advise, is this a UTI?
Hi, this looks like not peeing but like marking territory, he is 7 months old now and this is natural for an unneutered rabbit. I can't explain it scientifically but their marking urine is often different than normal colour, what I see in your pic I would say it is normal marking and little cloudy maybe because an excess of Calcium in his diet, but I wouldn't worry much honestly, except of if you see other symptoms of urinary tract infection.

I would make sure he drinks enough water though.

One of my rabbits in my avatar had UTI once about two years ago and she was very unwell.
Fresh cranberries with warm water helped a lot, as well as keeping her warm and protected from droughts and cold floor.

If there's no other indications of UTI I would say it's just him marking his territory, hope he is doing well apart from that.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your quick reply :)! What would other signs of UTI be? He sometimes pees inside or outside of his litter box. Also, what is some advice you can give for helping him drink water? I've tried cleaning the bowl everyday.

Hi, this looks like not peeing but like marking territory, he is 7 months old now and this is natural for an unneutered rabbit. I can't explain it scientifically but their marking urine is often different than normal colour, what I see in your pic I would say it is normal marking and little cloudy maybe because an excess of Calcium in his diet, but I wouldn't worry much honestly, except of if you see other symptoms of urinary tract infection.

I would make sure he drinks enough water though.

One of my rabbits in my avatar had UTI once about two years ago and she was very unwell.
Fresh cranberries with warm water helped a lot, as well as keeping her warm and protected from droughts and cold floor.

If there's no other indications of UTI I would say it's just him marking his territory, hope he is doing well apart from that.
Thank you so much for your quick reply :)! What would other signs of UTI be? He sometimes pees inside or outside of his litter box. Also, what is some advice you can give for helping him drink water? I've tried cleaning the bowl everyday.

If the urine is actually thickened and gel like, creamy texture(not just the color), or pasty and/or gritty, then that indicates a condition called bladder sludge. A UTI will also occur concurrently with bladder sludge, so he likely would have that as well. It can make the urine look a beige or a brown color. There may also be spots of blood in the urine.

With bladder sludge and a UTI, signs could be lack of appetite, lethargy, straining to urinate, behavior indicating discomfort(such as unusual grumpiness, thumping), tooth grinding, other unusual changes of behavior, pee accidents, thickened urine, dribbling urine, beige or brown colored urine, bright red urine, spots of blood in the urine, urine soaked bottom.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bladder_sludge_and_stones
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection
If there are signs of either a UTI or bladder sludge, or both, I would make an appointment with a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away. For my bladder sludge prone rabbits, I found I had to reduce calcium rich foods in their diet, as well as making sure they have lots of hydration to help flush the calcium sediment out(sometimes even requiring administration of sub q fluids), and are active hopping up and down from things to help keep the calcium sediment from settling in the bladder so that it is more easily excreted.
https://rabbit.org/lowering-blood-calcium/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If the urine is a thin normal consistency but just creamy colored, then it would mean he is getting an excess of calcium in his diet, but he is not prone to it creating bladder sludge(only some rabbits are prone to this). And for that I would just reduce some of the high calcium foods in the diet so as to not overwork the kidneys. If the urine is beige or brown colored, it's possible he has a UTI. And if he is having accidents outside of the litter box, this could be why and not just from hormonal territorial marking.

Latest posts

Back