Socks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharda Hartley

Reaction score
I was just curious if my rabbit's behaviour is typical and means something, or if he's a weirdo. He seems to hate it when people wear socks. If he catches someone wearing socks, he will grab it and proceed to drag them off as best he can. This has led to some nipping of guest toes, which is more startling then painful. So is this a thing? Or does my rabbit just feel very passionate about the freedom of toes?

Hilarious! Warn your guests, I guess, lol. Sounds like a quirk of your particular rabbit. When my rabbits Nala and Gaz were little, they had a penchant for chewing on pant seams. In fact, about six and a half years ago, I made a thread very similar to this one about it! Sometimes rabbits (and other pets) can get really weird about the things humans wear. When I do "tent time" with my sugar gliders, little Hurricane goes nuts if I'm wearing a wrist brace (like for carpal tunnel) or even a bandaid! She starts pulling the velcro straps off or peeling back the bandaid, lol.

One thing you can do if you wish to discourage this behavior is that, right when it happens, gently press the rabbit's head down to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds. This mimics the way that a momma rabbit would discipline a kit, so they know what it means (whether or not they CARE is a whole different thing).

Hilarious! Warn your guests, I guess, lol. Sounds like a quirk of your particular rabbit. When my rabbits Nala and Gaz were little, they had a penchant for chewing on pant seams. In fact, about six and a half years ago, I made a thread very similar to this one about it! Sometimes rabbits (and other pets) can get really weird about the things humans wear. When I do "tent time" with my sugar gliders, little Hurricane goes nuts if I'm wearing a wrist brace (like for carpal tunnel) or even a bandaid! She starts pulling the velcro straps off or peeling back the bandaid, lol.

One thing you can do if you wish to discourage this behavior is that, right when it happens, gently press the rabbit's head down to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds. This mimics the way that a momma rabbit would discipline a kit, so they know what it means (whether or not they CARE is a whole different thing).

Thank you for the reply! I know that digging at your pant leg means "You are in my way! Move stupid human! I am the alpha bunny and you should do as I say!" And thought the sock thing could be something simular. We just bought slippers for guests, so its not a big issue. Your bunnies and gliders sound adorable.

I had one that would do that if my family or I had fleece pants on. And I have another that if I have a shirt on that has raised lettering then she would try to take it off, now I just don't wear that type of shirt around her and when the other was alive we wouldn't wear fleece pants when he was out.

Back