Socializing a Timid Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeppyTheHare

Reaction score
So I recently adopted a bun from an animal shelter in Boston and although her and my first bunny Peppy bonded perfectly in under a week and now groom each other and cuddle, I can't seem to get Clover (the new girl) to not run away from me when I try to handle her. Do you guys have any tips for getting her used to me and maybe even be okay being handled for a short time?

-Thanks!

2qbr8f4.jpg

Gaining it's trust is the important thing. What you could try is getting down on the floor so that you don't look as imposing to him. Then with a treat in hand try and coax him towards you. Of course this will take a bit. Once he's in hand range. Let him sniff you and take the treat. After a while he should then come to you, associating you as a food source. After a while you can stop with the treats and try petting him. If he lets you then after a while you can try and pick him up.

I would avoid trying to handle her and instead try to spend as much time as possible in her area looking non threatening. Try sitting on the floor reading a book/magazine or similar and let her explore you in her own time. Once she's completely happy to hop around you like you are part of the furniture then you can start gradually introducing touching :)

:yeahthat: And, don't be in a rush. Remember that you're on "bunny" time. Patience is the key. Also, some bunnies are very shy and will never be a cuddle bunny. When we first got Charlene and Bambi they were the same way. Bambi will now come to use when she is out and Charlene would let us pick her up and hold her--sure do miss her.

Latest posts

Back