Soaking Vegetables

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fynnagin

Reaction score
Ihave read a lot on here about soaking vegetables before feeding to increase water consumption. Inmy research I have also read that soaking vegetables can decrease the vitamins and nutritional value of the vegetables.

My question is is it worth the few extra ounces of water if it means loosing nutritional value?

For routine feeding or for a sick rabbit?
Honestly, I'm no expert, but from what research I've done, a rabbit eating a diet of mainly hay and veggies tends to have far less GI problems than those who eat pellets, and also these rabbits tend to drink less, because they get more moisture in their food. So if your rabbit eats a good amount of veggies, and doesn't overeat pellets, you may not see a high water consumption.

If a rabbit is sick and you're worried about dehydration, then I've read to give them wet greens to increase water consumption. I don't see how it would cause them to lose nutritional value if you wet the greens. And I'm not sure soaking them provides any more moisture than wetting them directly before feeding.

I could be wrong.. this is just my understanding..

Thanks!
I am talking about routine feeding. My buns eat lots of hay and veggies, few pellets and seem to drink plenty. I currently just pull my prepared veggies out of the fridge and feed.
I didn't understand the whole loss of nutritional value either but read it in a few places.

I wasn't aware about that. It makes some sense, but I would imagine that the amount of vitamins lost isn't that much. I know amy27 routinely soaks her veggies for a bunny with bladder sludge issues, in order to get more water into her. I don't think she's seen problems with loss of vitamins. I like to soak some veggies when I see poops I don't like (expect stasis/slowdow), which isn't that regular anyway.

I do soak my greens for atleast an hour. The vet has never mentioned anything about the loss of nutritional value. But it does make sense. I will see what I can find out. I see the vet every month so I will mention it next time I go in about 2 weeks and will let you know what she says. I soak the greens for my bladder sludge/stone bunny and my healthy bun.

Ok this is what I found. Water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C and the B vitamin are easily destroyed by excess water, heat, air, and light. They are also affected by the pH balance (i.e., too much or too little acid) of cooking liquid/ Fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K are more stable.

Soaking food in water dissolves water-soluble vitamins and minerals. Avoid it except when absolutely necessary. If foods, such as vegetables, must be soaked or remain in water during cooking, use as small amount of water as possible and use the leftover cooking liquid in soap or in another product.

Taken from this site http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources/blocks5.pdf

I will keep looking for something better.

ETA: This is more for people who wash there veggies and then store them.

Wash vegetables just before cooking or eating. Washing them before storing can decrease nutrients, flavor and texture. Washing actually speeds up the decaying process. And, while all vegetables should be washed before cooking or serving raw, long soaking is not recommended because it leaches out water-soluble vitamins.

Wash vegetables quickly and thoroughly under cold running water, by dunking them in several changes of water in a sink, or by using a soft brush and warm water to remove clinging dirt. Be aware that this method of vegetable cleaning is as effective as any of the “special, highly advertised products for cleaning produce”, and is much less expensive.

Cut up vegetables just before cooking or eating. Nutrients are lost when veggies are exposed to light and air, and cutting them exposes more surface area to the air.

Taken from http://co.humboldt.ca.us/HHS/PHB/ProjectLean/Times-Standard/2009/August.asp

Thanks Amy!!!! Great info. I actually started looking into it when Fynnagin was not drinking as much water as I thought he should. Hmmmm, I usually wash and cut my veggies so they are ready to go at feeding time....guess I should change that.

If salad, spinach or green beans or peas are stored for a day they lose up to 40% of their vitamin C content. After another day in storage they may lose the same amount again. If salad vegetables are allowed to stand in water for a quarter of an hour they may lose up to 30% of their vitamin C content and a considerable amount of the vitamin B1 content. Vitamins can easily be destroyed. Mushrooms, lettuce, broccoli, asparagus and strawberries, for example, all lose their vitamins very quickly.

Taken from: http://www.vernoncoleman.com/vam.htm

It sounds like a lot of vitamins are lost when soaked, if not all. It is kind of concerning.

Wow!! That is a lot of loss. I agree, that is concerning.

I now know I will find other ways to increase water consumption and I won't pre-cut or wash my veggies until I am ready to serve them...to the buns and humans.

Once again, thanks for all your time in researching this.

Yikes, I don't like the sound of that at all! Especially the part about losing 40% of vitamin C after a day of storage! I mean, I know I don't get it the day it's picked when I buy it at the store, plus then I store my stuff for several days in my fridge. I guess a 10-15 min soak is better.

You're welcome Samm. I was glad you brought it up. I never really thought about it. Reading all of this kind of makes me wonder if I am just giving my buns the veggies for water consumption.

But atleast the non-water soluble vitamins are not effected. So I guess we can look at that as a good side. It is just the water soluble vitamins that are lost.

I know me too, but like you said at least we aren't losing all the vitamins.

Plus I would have anarchy if I cut out the veggies around here:duel: they do love them so!

I've been following this thread.

I had to buy some veggies today, and it was strange to stick them in the fridge without washing them first. I separated the lettuce leaves, and took the twisties off the parsley and cilantro, and discarded undesired pieces, then just put them in their containers.
We'll see if I can keep up with washing them in the morning, rather than having the pre-washed and ready to go.

My main problem right now is storage temperature. When we got our house, I was so excited because we got a mini-fridge, especially for the rabbit veggies. The temperature has never been quite right, though. The dial goes to 6; when I put it at 5.5, the temp seems too hang out around 45 degrees, which is 5 degrees warmer than the "safe" zone. However, when I turn the dial to 6, all the veggies freeze solid. I am wasting a lot of veggies, as they go bad quicker than they should. Also concerned about possible bacterial growth on the veggies.

I will be heading to the store Saturday for veggies. It will be weird to not "prepare" it. I better remember not to wash and cut them.

I have a mini-fridge at work and the temp is very hard to get right. Maybe of you put it on 5.75 tehn it won't freeze them and will get to proper temp.

Fynnagin wrote:
I will be heading to the store Saturday for veggies. It will be weird to not "prepare" it. I better remember not to wash and cut them.

I have a mini-fridge at work and the temp is very hard to get right. Maybe of you put it on 5.75 tehn it won't freeze them and will get to proper temp.
I think my biggest hurdle to not "preparing" the veg was, I like to really pick through to get out bad and undesirable pieces when I'm washing it. I am paranoid that I'm putting bad bits in the fridge now.

I'm gradually trying to ease the dial cooler. Like, turning it almost imperceptibly each day. The temp still isn't right, but there are frozen water droplets on the back of the fridge (inside) now, so I'm a bit worried. Twice I've frozen the veg, and it's such a waste of time and money when I have to run out to replace it all!

I've found that with mini-fridges the location of the veggies is what causes them to freeze--if you put them by the little freezer thing that's in there, they'll freeze. I gave up on using our minifridge for veggies and now we keep pop in there. :dunno:

My mini-fridge actually has a separate freezer compartment, with it's own door. I keep about 10 pounds of extra pellet food in there, in an airtight container.

If I can't get the temp right, I will have to decide what to switch out with the regular fridge. I like my soda at room-temperature, but I guess I could put juice and beer in there. I cannot continue wasting veggies like this.
I think part of the problem is that I keep the veggies in large plastic airtight containers. They worked really well in the previous (regular) fridge, and kept the veg fresher longer than keeping it in the bags from the store. (Also kept things tidy. I am ocd about having things organized in containers.) I know that the plastic containers aren't as efficient at holding the temperature as glass, but I can't find glass containers large enough.

Beth, I bet you could get some glass containers online. But they would probably be more expensive. Or what about using those glass casserole dishes that have the lids?

Yeah, that might be good. I got some nice Pyrex casserole dishes at the Goodwill store for cheap, plus I like their style.

Great idea, I'll have to keep my eye out for something like that.

It definitely took me longer this morning to make salads. Hopefully I can cut the time down with a bit of practice.

But I was wondering......What about those little water sprayers at the supermarket? I know those are to keep the veggies hydrated, but I was wondering how many water-soluble vitamins are lost from those things spraying the veg. They probably don't really affect the inner leaves of lettuce, but cilantro and parsley?
The sprayers were always my justification for rinsing the veg before refrigerating at home, in regards to bacteria. They've already had water on them, so I decided that rinsing them was best. Hrm.

Latest posts

Back