So I made the appt. for Buster's neuter...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
Since I got Buster 6 months ago, I have been putting off taking him to the vet. It's not that I didn't want to, but vets in my area are very expensive, so I was trying to save up money for him.

But a few months ago he started spraying me and acting aggressive towards other people in my family. Lunging and 'growling'. I figured it had to be done sooner than later.

I wanted to take him to just an exotic vet in my area, but they quoted be $650 dollars for the neuter and the check up. I finally found a place about a mile from my house, and found out they took rabbits. They quoted me $425 for everything. I am nervous about taking him to a 'regular' vet. The vet tech didn't seem to know much about rabbits either. He told me to not feed buster before hand, the vet corrected him saying rabbits do not need to fast. So I am glad the vet knows what he's doing. :)

I figured since it was so close it would be good, if there's a problem, it's nice to know I can go up the street for help.

So he is ready to go on Wednesday April 11 at 9:30 in the morning. They also said he will be ready to pick up in a few hours and won't have to stay overnight.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just wanted to know what kind of things I should take for Buster. Should I bring his 'bunny doll'? Should I give him a shirt or piece of cloth with my scent. And what should I feed him when he wakes up?

Also how long do I have to keep him from jumping up on my bed? Can I give him space to run? What kind of behavior changes can I expect after? Should I keep his doll that he humps away from him?

Sorry, I have never had to do this before, so I am very nervous:?

Anyway thanks for anyone that has any input:bunnyheart

Hope everybody and every bunny is doing well :biggrin:
I know this is a busy weekend for a lot of rabbits, it being Easter and all... :D

For what to take to the vet with him, you can take a towel or something as long as it is clean. Basically don't take a towel that has been used for a week and is cover in pee, poops, fur etc, a shirt with your smell should be fine. Take some pellets and hay for him to have before and after surgery. If he is used to veggies, you can take some of those too. I would avoid taking anything that he will usually hump as you don't want to encourage that right after surgery. You may want to ask the vet if there is anything you can't bring just in case.
For when he wakes up, offer hay, pellets and veggies. If there is a special treat that he likes, you can offer a bit of that to encourage him to eat too. He might not eat right away, but should start to nibble on food shortly after surgery.

When you bring him home, use towels or other soft bedding and avoid shavings or similar beddings. Also try to keep hay contained so it doesn't irritate the incision.
Keep him confined for at least 5-7 days and no jumping up for at least 10 days. Don't let him run around too much until about 10-14 days after, but you an give him some more space. I would keep anything he humps away from him as he heals, but after about 10 days it should be ok to put back.

I just wanted to say good luck with Buster's neuter. Thumper just got neutered on Monday. He had a little bit of a rough go but is now bouncing back! Let us know how Buster does. Make sure he comes home with pain meds. Get him eating as soon as possible, lots of hay. :)

You New York people sure have to pay a lot for things. Neutering males is a lot simpler than spaying, so I wonder what THAT could cost there.

He'll do fine & you'll be glad that you did it. It'll take a few weeks for the hormones to disappear, even though none are being produced, but he'll be back to normal eventually.

I just wanted to update everyone on Buster. He just got home from his neuter. He seems to be doing great!
As soon as I put the plate of food down, he started eating like a vacuum. He must have been starving. He also has already peed and I am waiting for him to poop.

I took everything out of his xpen that he could jump on so he can't hurt himself. He has been exploring and hopping around his xpen. I hope he continues to act normal. He is a resilient little guy. :bunnydance:

Thank you everyone for the advice, it put my mind at ease. :D

So glad it went well for Buster. And thrilled to hear he's sucking up his food right away. In a week, it will be a thing of the past for him.

Dobby took about 2 weeks to start to calm down and loose those hormones. Kreacher took a bit longer, about a month.

Definitely worth the money to neuter. Now the "love" spray will be gone and he won't be so possessive of you with family members. All will be able to enjoy sweet Buster.

Again glad all went well for Buster.

K:)

Latest posts

Back