So, I found these pellets *help/advise*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyasb

Reaction score
I found these pellets that my local feed store has. Would I be able to feed my bunnies it?

[align=center]Complete Rabbit Pellets
For Growing and Breeding Rabbits
[/align]

[align=center]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]

[align=left]A&M Rabbit Pellets is a complete feed that contains a balance of nutrients which will serve as the sole ration for nursing and fattening rabbits.[/font][/align][font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]

[/align]

[align=center]-Guaranteed Analysis-[/align]

[align=center]
[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Crude Protein, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]17.00%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Crude Fat, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]3.00%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Crude Fiber, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]17.00%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Crude Fiber, not more than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]19.00%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Calcium, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]0.75%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Calcium, not more than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]1.25%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Phosphorus, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]0.65%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Salt, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]0.75%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Salt, not more than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]1.25%[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Vitamin A, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]10,000 IU/LB[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Vitamin D3, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]500 IU/LB[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Vitamin E, not less than[/font]
[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]30 IU/LB[/font][font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/align]

[align=center]-Feeding Directions-[/align]

[align=center]
[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Feed three to six ounces of A&M Complete Rabbit Pellets daily on a regular feeding schedule. Greens and hay are excellent supplements. Do not overfeed greens. Keep fresh water available at all times.[/font][font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/align]

[align=center]
[/font]

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]Availability: 5/32" pellets, sacked.[/font][/align]
That's all the info that the site gives. Is it okay? Yes/no? It says that it's for 'fattening' up rabbits, but if I rationed it would it be okay? And if so, how much would I have to ration(as in amount per pound)?

Is that the only type they had? Are they able to order other types? 17% protein is pretty high for a pet rabbit that isn't breeding (or an angora or young Flemish). It might be ok if properly rationed and the rest is made up for with hay and veggies, but it might also be more likely to cause cecal problems aka poopy butt than a 15-16% protein pellet.

Many times the same brand will make multiple types of feed for different uses. Like this one is for fattening up rabbits (probably aimed at meat breeders), others are basic pellets meant for pets, and still others aimed at improving fur quality and muscle tone for show rabbits. Usually the most noticeable difference is in the protein amount. At the store I buy from, they're referred to in their protein amounts instead of the brand name to make sure people get exactly what they wanted. Ask if they can get anything with 15-16% protein.

Hi there! How old is your bunny?
The protein is a quite high, especially since it's minimum 17% (So you don't know if it's higher). Which may cause problems with excess cecals and weight issues for older bunnies. The fat is up there too.

I'm guessing there isn't a list of ingredients? That's always good to look at as well :).

Personally, this pellet may be too high protein and fat for an adult house bunny (since it's made for quick growth and fast fat). But, if you are only feeding a very limited amount, the pellets probably wouldn't make too drastic of an impact.

Well, the feed is made here in stillwater at the milling co. I'll call tomarrow to see is maybe they have a different type of feed. We also have an Atwoods here, and I'm going to take a trip to see if they have any good pellets, but thier stuff is pretty pricey.

I don't know anything about the A &M pellet . it is for meat and breeding rabbits but is probably still a better choice than the Small World.

Keep looking around; you may be able to find something else....

:nerves1i like reading labels,and this product is clearly indicated for nursing doe,s and fattening rabbits,.that alone should rule out use for domestic bunnies,..however in comparing purina mills brand-1-800-277-8941 and dels farm supply rabbit feed,-- the numbers do not seem too irratical,..bottom line is what the label says and making sure there is more fiber than fat/protien,,pellets---i feed one ounce per pound of body weight,.with a diet of -70%-orchard/timothy grasses/hay,.a change of diet-pellet- is also warned on the label -due to theintestinal flora adjustment,.sincerely james waller

Well, I called yesterday and these pellets are amazingly cheap: a 50lb bag is $10 and a 10lb bag is only $3. The lady said that they could be used for pet rabbits.

Not that I'm saying that I will buy these pellets, but if I was to buy them, would I have to feed them more greens than pellets?

I'm confused because these pellets have only 1-2% more protien than other pellets you can find at pet stores.
Could it really hurt my bunnies?

1% difference in protein can really change things. I've seen obvious differences in rabbits whose pellets are changed up or down 1-2% protein. For example, my timothy pellets are 14% protein compared to a typical alfalfa pellet at 16%, huge difference. Especially for my sensitive-tummy bun.

Do you already feed a variety of vegetables? If so, you could probably feed a few tablespoons of pellets a day plus unlimited grass hay and a lot of veggies. My rabbits that are on a similar diet get about 3 cups of veggies a day (although they are on timothy pellets). Make sure to do any diet changes slowly, including introducing the pellets and increasing the amount of veggies.

Back