So disheartening:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccajean220

Reaction score
I felt like I was making great progress with bonding with Binky but now I think I have taken two steps backwards. Binky is a fuzzy lop so I need to keep him brushed but every time I try and pick him up he freaks out. I don't want him to get hurt but he needs to be brushed out. I'm just feeling sooo bad like maybe I shouldn't have gotten a fuzzy lop as a newbie. I love him and I don't want him to suffer because of my inexperience.

Teddy is a fuzzy lop and my first bunny too. She hated me picking her up and grooming her, but now she doesn't mind it so much, and bonding is going pretty well. Just keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Houdini is an english angora and he would get all freaked out at first too. I think the big key is giving him a treat after brushing. Now he doesn't mind so much, but it took time.

*chuckles* Houdini hates his bum getting brushed too. Under his chin is even worse and he bites the comb. At least I think they feel the combs and brushes are evil, not us.

At that young you can only hand a few pellets as a treat or individual strands of hay. For some reason the same food can be so much better if we hand it to them :)

Sometimes you can just reach & remove the hair rather than using a brush. And if he's in an xpen you can sit on the floor next to him & not have to pick him up for brushing.

I have heard that some fuzzy lops have coats that matt easily when they are young. Some breeders will shave them so the coat won't matt as much until the adult coat come in.
Maybe you can find someone who is able to shave him for you. It will be a bit stressful for him, but having someone else do it means he won't be as mad at you. You can then focus on bonding with him and not worry about grooming for a little while. You can work on just running a brush over him and as the coat grows back then he should be more used to it and you can start to do more serious grooming. i find with my angora that it takes about a month or so for the coat to really need grooming or brushing again. Babies might be a big different, but you should still have a few weeks to bond with him without too much worry.
If you don't want him fully shaved, you could just get the belly done. That is an area that tends to be bad and harder to brush out, so keeping it short does help. The neck is also an area that can be good to keep short.

LakeCondo wrote:
Sometimes you can just reach & remove the hair rather than using a brush. And if he's in an xpen you can sit on the floor next to him & not have to pick him up for brushing.

lol this is what i have been doing. I look so silly following him around brushing him as he hops around:):p

Not sure if babies that young can eat this but an all time favorite of my rabbits are raisins and old fashioned oatmeal (uncooked).

nope, they shouldn't have anything but hay and pellets until 6 months. their GI system can't handle the extra carbs and it can give them the runs.

try keeping your grooming sessions short. you dont have to do the whole job in one sitting.

Slickers work well, but can be irritating to sensitive bunny skin. You might want to try out a rake or fine toothed comb as well. You can see all my combs in this picture. Obviously you don't have to run out and buy lots of grooming supplies at once, but the various tools help depending on what you are trying to do and where.

IMG_6023.jpg

I use the same brush as in the picture, at the very front of the left armrest. The one with two sides. I find it works pretty well and Teddy doesn't hate it too much either.

MiniLopHop thanks for the picture. Now that I think about it the slicker brush could have been a little much for the first time. Ill try the other brush with two sides. thanks everyone for the advice. Being a new bunny parent is quite nerve wracking!!

I buy self cleaning slicker brushes for my rabbits. I also use grooming blocks for horses. Both work wonderfully and remove a LOT of hair.

Houdini hates the flash on my camera. I didn't have enough light to take the photo without the flash. I can't believe how much of his fluff is back already. I had to brush out his legs again last night. Luckily there are always lots of snacks around so he forgives me.

Latest posts

Back