Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ejtrout

Reaction score
I bought a rabbit about 3 weeks ago from Facebook. She has been sneezing and had some nose discharge. So i talked to my local feedstore to see what they thought. I was given a cattle pill for scours and old at last resort a shot of penicillin i also have been using vetrx on her nose. I started about 3 days ago. There have been no signs of improvement.

Is it too soon should i wait longer for improvement?
A vet is no an option what else could i do at home?
Is this something other than snuffles?

Thank you!

If there is white sticky discharge it is a positive indicator of a bacterial respiratory infection. If your rabbit has an upper respiratory infection (aka. snuffles) it usually takes a much longer course of antibiotics to try and clear URIs, often 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer. Whether or not pen g injections will work depends if the bacteria causing the URI is sensitive to it, but it would definitely require more than one injection. Too short a course of antibiotics just creates antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Medirabbit (URI in rabbits)

Taking your rabbit to an experienced rabbit vet is the best option. But aside from that, pen g injections (never oral) are one possible treatment that has been used to successfully treat other types of infections in rabbits, if the bacteria is sensitive to it, and if given at the correct dose, frequency, and for a long enough length of time. Again I would stress taking your rabbit to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet to get properly diagnosed.
Bicillin Study

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If there is white sticky discharge it is a positive indicator of a bacterial respiratory infection. If your rabbit has an upper respiratory infection (aka. snuffles) it usually takes a much longer course of antibiotics to try and clear URIs, often 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer. Whether or not pen g injections will work depends if the bacteria causing the URI is sensitive to it, but it would definitely require more than one injection. Too short a course of antibiotics just creates antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Medirabbit (URI in rabbits)

Taking your rabbit to an experienced rabbit vet is the best option. But aside from that, pen g injections (never oral) are one possible treatment that has been used to successfully treat other types of infections in rabbits, if the bacteria is sensitive to it, and if given at the correct dose, frequency, and for a long enough length of time. Again I would stress taking your rabbit to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet to get properly diagnosed.
Bicillin Study

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Thank you! A vet isn't an option because it is just a outdoor pet. If it doesn't get better it will be put down. I live on a farm and are financially struggling with everything going on so it wouldn't be able to visit a vet.

You could try going back to the person who sold it to you. It’s very possible this discharge is not new and they were aware of it. You may not be successful but might be worth a try.

Back