Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Front Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just this weekend i was at Nova Scotia provincial 4-H show. And during my showman ship class the judge asked me for an illness that could effect a rabbit, I said snuffles, she asked if it was curable and i said yes, but she told me after wards that it is not. Is that true? I had a bunny i adopted once that had snuffles and it went away and never came back, but what do u think? :?

thanks

You are correct, "snuffles" can be cured. It's an old belief that it cannot. "Snuffles" usually refers to an upper respiratory infection by one of a number of bacteria. The bacteria are always present in the respiratory tract, but they don't cause illness unless they have a huge population growth, usually caused by the immune system getting weakened. Antibiotics can help get the bacteria levels back down and the population under control and then the sickness goes away.

It used to be thought that you couldn't do anything but remove bunnies with snuffles from the herd, but now we know a lot more about rabbits and what antibiotics they can be given.

Back