snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnyday

Reaction score
Hi my name is Sonny and i have snuffles . i have been to the vet and now i am on antibiotics for 30 days , then i have to have penicilion shots for 1 month . My owner is scared to give the injections ! How does she go about it in the easiest way??

Has your vet shown you how to do this? It can be kinda difficult to do the injections correctly if you haven't been shown how to. They have to be injected subcutaneously, to the layer below the skin but not into the muscle. You want to make sure that the needle hole seals up well after the injection, so none of the medicine leaks out onto their fur. You can kinda put pressure on the area afterward.

Here's a video on sub-q injections of fluid:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37848&forum_id=10

You will want to dilute the Bicillin (penicillin G procaine/benzathine) 1:1 with sterile saline for injection. If you can't find that, distilled water is ok.

You definitely shouldn't be doing this unless you're trained or classed to, I sure wouldn't want to. Hmm, no meds prescribed for the bacteria by mouth? Like..Zithromax is a great one, but normally, Baytril is prescribed...which, just to save a bunch of you time, is worthless. Don't let your vet prescribe this any longer, it is ineffective...

What are the meds? How is it going? That sounds tuff, giving thesyringed meds, which isn't common for first visit either, imo. :?

Sonny is doing alot better since he has been on his antibiotics ! It is by mouth for 30 days... next month i have to learn to give him penicillion shots :( Scary , but i know i can do it !! Cause he is my baby boy and i will do anything to help him:pray:Thank you for your concerns about Sonny Day.....

Thank you for the info on giving Sonny injections of penicillion!! My vet is going to show me how to do it . I hope it goes good , cause i am really nervous :?

Yes Sonny is on zithromax right now. Next month i will be trained by the vet on how to give the injections of penicillion. The vet said we have to switch off and on with the meds , so Sonny doesn't get amuned to one . Thank you :big wink:

It sounds like your vet has a good understanding of this illness.

And don't worry, injections are quite easy to give once you learn how. I actually find it easier to give a rabbit an injection rather than to get them to take oral medicines.

-Dawn

Hey anybody know what i can put on Sonny's poor little sores on his nose?? I have been putting warm washcloth on it then some vasoline . That helps a little but is there any oinment to heal the sores?

Can you get a picture of the sores? When ever I hear about sores on noses, the first thing I think of is rabbit syphilis. Which is curable by penicillin injections (and it is not the same thing as human syphilis). It causes scabs on the face (nose/lips/eyes) and on the genitals.

Does he have any scabs on his genitals as well?

I would also just use some plain neosporin or polysporin. Make sure it is the kind with out pain medication, just the plain stuff.

-Dawn

Thank you !! He will be getting the penicilin shots soon . As for the sores on his nose ,i have been putting warm washcloth on it , then some vasoline , i will try the neosporin , is it safe for him?? what if he licks it??

I too was worried that the sores might be syphilis, not from the mucus. It is fine if he licks the neosporin off--as long as it is the normal regular neosporin ointment, not the kind with pain killer added to it. The pain killer part is not safe for them to eat, but the normal neosporin is.

The penicillin shots should help, especially if it is syphilis.

I must say since Sonny has been on the zithromax and putting neosporinon hisnose he is doing way better!! Wednesday i learn to give him penicilin shots... I am quite nervous about that :?

sonnyday wrote:
I must say since Sonny has been on the zithromax and putting neosporinon hisnose he is doing way better!! Wednesday i learn to give him penicilin shots... I am quite nervous about that :?
That is wonderful to hear! Yay!:D

I am happy to say that i gave Sonny his shot of penicllin!! And it went just fine:biggrin: He seems to be doing great!! PLAYING AND RUNNING AROUND LIKE A HAPPY LITTLE BUN BUN , THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT :)

Back