Snuffles? A cold? Allergies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylz69

Reaction score
My darling vet prone bunny, has been sneezing on occasion, I noticed twice last night.
This morning I wiped a small amount of white discharge from his nose. Had a good look up there and couldn't see anything else.
I know that it's likely snuffles, but reading up that's usually characterized by running eyes which he hasn't had at all.
Snuffles is a life long disease isn't it? Just my luck to have one with EC and snuffles.
He doesn't live in a hutch ever, and his diet is extremely healthy and balanced.

Runny eyes doesn't necessarily happen all of the time with a URI. But white discharge is a certain indication that it is a bacterial infection. URI's can be difficult to treat and often the rabbit will need retreatment later, but it really all depends on the bacteria involved and the severity. Your rabbit will need to get on antibiotics for at least, several weeks, with the antibiotic continued for several days past the last sign of symptoms. Sometimes giving the anti inflammatory metacam, and/or a med to thin the mucous, can also be helpful in helping clear it up.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

You should try to get the vet to identify the infection. Pasteurella is one that is characterized by white nasal discharge and even though it's treatable, it's not curable.

We went to the vet a couple hours ago, she pretty sure it's pasturella. There are limited options to us here in Australia but he is going on a course of antibiotics. There is obviously something very compromised about my bunnies immune system as he also has EC
The good news is he isn't bad, so with ABs should be ok

Latest posts

Back