Snowy's Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well.. I accidentally deleted all the pages that were written by Jen and responded to by everyone. I tried to edit a double post of my own and instead eradicated the entire post. :(

Jen is having difficulty getting on the computer tonight as everyone is having difficulty with the slowness of the site today.

Jen asked me to start this first as she is having more problems than me getting on RO.

Today Jen had an accident and cut her leg ; she had to go the emergency room and get stitches . She says that she is OK and that it was not a big accident
although a lot of bad things have occurred recently one right on top of another one.
Sorry Jen

The only good thing is that so many people followed this thread that most of us know the story anyway. and probably can pick up where we left off.

Maureen

Thank you Maureen :hug:

The forum came back up a few minutes ago for me, but I still spent ages trying to get the Infirmary forum to work- I've only just got in!

Thank you for starting another one for me!

As you say the ones who were following it will know what's going on mostly...I'll post a quick recap...

Snowy got in some sort of accident/fight, tore her ear. Spent all day in the hospital getting stitches.

Since she's come home Mouse and Chalk don't want to know her :( and want to fight with her :( so we've separated their cage- Barney and Snowy on one side, and Mouse and Chalk on the other.

On Tuesday evening we found that Snowy had a 'hole' on her underside. A (nother) trip to the emergency vets confirmed that it was an abscess on the skin that had burst and had started healing...

She is now on antibiotics and Metacam, and although she wasn't eating at first, she's now mostly seemingly normal- stuffing her face, running around and generally looking beautiful as ever!!

We have an appointment for a recheck at the vets tomorrow, at 4.30pm.

We hope to rebond all 4 bunnies eventually- we have bought a big tub from B&Q ready to take them on a car journey when Snowy is fit and ready!

:wiggleWoopsie Maureen ! Been there done that! :hug:

Jen, I hope things continue to improve with the bunnies...... now tell us about this ankle! What on Earth happened??

Post from 11-16-08

===========================================================================
The Infirmary > Snowy's in the hospital getting stitches.... :(

Date: 2008-11-16 10:30:16

I woke up this morning to a noise from downstairs. Not sure what it was, but it woke me up. I heard the water bowl tipping over for sure. I was going to leave it, but then something told me to get up and check.

I go downstairs, the water has been tipped everywhere, Snowy is soaking wet, and her ear is torn :?

At first I panicked because there looked to be a lot of blood but I think that just made it look worse. We called the vet straightaway and took her down there. They have her there now, she's being stitched up under GA :( It's roughly about 1cm long, in the side of her ear? Maybe 1.5cm... He did say originally that she would be done at 12, and ready to go home at about 2ish, but they had a lot of emergencies in apparently and she didn't go in until about 2pm... We're waiting for the call now! :?

I have NO idea what happened either. Mouse was also a bit wet, but I don't know if maybe she walked through the big puddle just after, or if she was nearby? I thought fight but there were no obvious signs of a scuffle, and all buns were very friendly with each other this morning, although a bit skittish I guess due to Snowy's injury.... :? I checked the cage and the only thing I could see is that they had a big willow ring that has been eaten away, and has a sort of solid middle to it, but bits of willow were sticking out. I don't know if that would have done it or not.... I also found one cable tie near the area that was turned into the cage (I turn them out usually) and a bit sharp, although there was no blood on it or anything?

Steve had a theory that maybe a cat or something in the garden scared her and she scrabbled, knocked the water over and somehow hurt her self on the toy, etc, but I just don't know. I guess a fight is the easiest way to explain it but there was no blood on anybun's paws etc and it just seems unlikely with how cuddly they normally are? :?

Anyway, we're waiting for the call to say that she's ok and we can go pick her up..... I feel terrible for my poor Snowy. What a horrible shock for her :( :tears2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2008-11-16 10:41:35

Geez Jen
You just can't catch a break

Anything you named might have caused it....probably a fight though

I did have a willow basket for Willow and when she would start to shred it it would have such sharp spikes on it that I would have to take parts of it out . I was afraid of her eyes.

I'm sure that Snowy will be alright

let us know

good that this didn't happen when you were on the Golden gate bridge :)

Date: 2008-11-16 10:42:58

oh no!!!!!!!! hope you are able to figure it out, that has to be nerve racking , not knowing exactly. Hope snowy gets home soon

Date: 2008-11-16 10:48:36

She will be home and just fine soon.

Date: 2008-11-16 10:49:49

Thanks guys!

No, I really can't catch a break can I?! I wonder what the vets must think of us being up there every week almost recently! :(

Still waiting for the call... :waiting:

I hope it wasn't a fight.... it just seems so unlike them! :? I hope I don't have to separate them :(.... Mouse being wet as well is a possible culprit but she is never ever aggressive or anything! And her and Snowy were grooming each other at breakfast (I made sure she didn't go near the ear)

Regardless... definately wont be leaving willow toys in there overnight anymore! :?

Date: 2008-11-16 11:32:56

Seriously Jen, how many mirrors did ya break to have this kind of bad luck? :? I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles :? I guess the only way you will know is when you get Snowy back home. If she shows any nervousness around the buns then it'll have been a scuffle.

Big hugs to you :hug:

Date: 2008-11-16 11:43:38

STILL no call! :(

It's 4.45pm here now... :(

Thanks Sophie :)

Date: 2008-11-16 11:54:32

i would call them :biggrin2:

Date: 2008-11-16 11:58:32

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
What she said!

Date: 2008-11-16 12:00:19

It's possible Mouse's recent upset has upset the apple cart. Another possibility is that Snowy is ill and because buns pick up these things before us somebun might have known. I'm only saying that because it might be something to look out for.

I had a quad and they were very settled and happy and then divorced when one got ill so it can happen and it can be nasty.

I hope she is ok though.

And don'tr worry what the vets think, they will think you are a good owner. I go to the vets most weeks. It'd been pretty much every week since July with something or other, and for the next three weeks or so I have to go at least 8 times. Just buy your vet a bottle of wine or something at Christmas :D

Date: 2008-11-16 12:02:11

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
We are... if they don't call within the next 10mins....

The only reason we wanted to wait is that it was very much an attitude of 'don't call us, we'll call you!'..... :?

I guess if they do have a lot of emergencies- they're only open for emergencies today- then it can't be helped, and the vet there today I think is on his own. He's very good though- not met him before but he seems to love rabbits, and said we were very good vigilant owners, keeping such a close eye on them and getting Snowy down there so quickly. He went on a rant about people keeping rabbits in hutches and not taking care of them properly, buying them as pets for young children and then forgetting about them and how angry it made him lol! And how he so often sees bunnies with teeth so bad they have overgrown and curled over :(:( So he does care about buns lol...

But MAN I just want to know how my baby Snowy is doing!!

Date: 2008-11-16 12:04:51

mouse_chalk wrote:
He went on a rant about people keeping rabbits in hutches and not taking care of them properly, buying them as pets for young children and then forgetting about them and how angry it made him lol! And how he so often sees bunnies with teeth so bad they have overgrown and curled over :(:( So he does care about buns lol...

I like him!

Date: 2008-11-16 12:07:47

Flashy wrote:
It's possible Mouse's recent upset has upset the apple cart. Another possibility is that Snowy is ill and because buns pick up these things before us somebun might have known. I'm only saying that because it might be something to look out for.

I had a quad and they were very settled and happy and then divorced when one got ill so it can happen and it can be nasty.

I hope she is ok though.

And don'tr worry what the vets think, they will think you are a good owner. I go to the vets most weeks. It'd been pretty much every week since July with something or other, and for the next three weeks or so I have to go at least 8 times. Just buy your vet a bottle of wine or something at Christmas :D

Do you mean Chalk, with her op? Not Mouse? I can't recall Mouse being sick lol! :shock::p

Snowy seems fine health wise, but we'll definately be keeping a very close eye on her from now... I asked them to clip her nails while she was under too as she hates, hates getting them done- we did the same with Chalk the other week lol :?

And lol, we seem to see a different vet each time mostly so that would be a lot of bottles of wine... and at this rate with all this stress I want to drink them all myself! :biggrin2:

What happened with your quad in the end? Did they get back together? I sincerely hope my quad isn't broken up.... I guess all I can do is watch them carefully... :?

Thank you! :)

Date: 2008-11-16 12:08:36

JadeIcing wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote: He went on a rant about people keeping rabbits in hutches and not taking care of them properly, buying them as pets for young children and then forgetting about them and how angry it made him lol! And how he so often sees bunnies with teeth so bad they have overgrown and curled over :(:( So he does care about buns lol...

I like him!

Me too lol, usually its me saying that to the vets instead of the other way around :p I said how they were part of the family and he said 'and so they should be!'

Date: 2008-11-16 12:12:24

Sorry yes, Chalk's illness may have upset the apple cart.

Dopey also appeared healthy until a short while after when it became clear she was struggling. All she had was spurs but Candyfloss had sensed a weakness.

My quad are now disbanded permanently. I haven't tried to put them back together though because the day they fought was awful, and I have plenty of other bunny bonding options.

Date: 2008-11-16 12:45:17

We called in the end.

Seems they've been overrun with a big emergency all day.... and Snowy didn't get stitched until 3.30!!! :X

She's awake now, and doing fine, although still groggy.... They said we should be able to pick her up in about an hour or so when she's more awake and 'with it'.... So she'll be home just in time for dinner! I hope she wants to eat.... :?

Flashy, Snowy has had spurs! Just slight ones, they were burred (is that the right word?) in July I think... and she's been fine since then.... I wonder if they could be a problem again...

Date: 2008-11-16 13:31:38

They are in the cage at night right?

Do you have any plastic toys hooked up top or hay racks or anything? Could she have gotten her ear under a sharp toenail and stood up? When feeling the cut, hit the water?

Date: 2008-11-16 13:51:02

I would say another bun bit her ear, just my guess, it does seem very common for lop eared rabbits to get bitten on them. Two of my buns in the past did, that had loppy ears, BunBun and Bailey, and it's normally around a cm long cut or tear on the side of the ear.

My MIL's rabbit Buddy has one in each ear from her other rabbit, Sam, Buddy has floppy ears and Sam doesn't and Sams ears are fine.

Poor little Snowy :(, I hope she feels ok soon!

Date: 2008-11-16 13:57:26

:pray:

Date: 2008-11-16 14:14:11

She is on her way to get Snowy.

Date: 2008-11-16 14:24:43

That poor thing. Bunny and Jen. They've had a rough go lately.

Date: 2008-11-16 15:02:05

Oh Jen, I can't believe your bad luck :(

How is Snowy? Are you putting them all together again?

thinking of you all

Jan

Date: 2008-11-16 15:08:33

Pennie, for some reason that just bought tears to my eyes lol! I don't know why... :?

She's home now :) Very sleepy. Her poor ear is a mess, since they had to shave it, and she's got a bit of blood staining still. Her other ear is wet too, not sure why! It's not that big a wound, and it's stitched up well it looks...

Not eaten yet, although I did hold out a piece of dried banana just to see what she'd do and she took it from my hand, and just kind of sat there with it in her mouth, but not eating, looking at me! Poor girly. I've left her in the carrier still with the door open, with the banana and some parsley. In a bit when she wakes up a bit we'll try her with some more veg etc and see how she does.

I've not let the others out yet- I figured give her chance to come round and wake up a bit first before we try that. And I'm still in 2 minds over whether to get some grids in from the garden pen and make her own little pen for the night, I guess I'll see what happens later...

Got a couple of pics of the ear uploading now- not the best but I didn't want to stress her out too much...

Poor Snowy! :(

Date: 2008-11-16 15:17:19

Bo B Bunny wrote:
They are in the cage at night right?

Do you have any plastic toys hooked up top or hay racks or anything? Could she have gotten her ear under a sharp toenail and stood up? When feeling the cut, hit the water?

Yep, in the cage all night....

We do have one hanging garland thingy, but it clips on, sort of like a keyring clip? Its not sharp that I can see :? They hay racks are upstairs in their cage and are cable tied from the outside- just black wire ones...

The toenail thing is a possible. Mouse has sharpish toenails (getting them snipped this week), so I suppose it's possible if they were cuddling, or something... :?

I guess I'll just never know! It would be so out of the ordinary for them to have a fight at all.... they just get on so well together :?

Jan, I don't know what to do about putting them back together! I really, really don't want to split them up if possible, as I know it will stress them out.... I guess I'll just have to see what happens later :?

Thanks for all the good vibes guys! I really appreciate it :)

Date: 2008-11-16 15:26:35

Here are a couple of pics.... the ear is hard to see since it's from the front- it goes sort of sideways back into the ear, but I don't think it's more than 1-1.5cm wide at the most...

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/snowbarn84/Random/IMG_7806.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/snowbarn84/Random/IMG_7810.jpg

With the dried banana:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/snowbarn84/Random/IMG_7811.jpg

Date: 2008-11-16 15:35:28

Poor little girl.

Date: 2008-11-16 15:40:57

Aww, Bless her little heart. She looks so pathetic :(

I think once she wakes up a bit, she'll feel better, and hopefully start eating.

I think it might be a good idea to use the garden grids, even if they do seem to get along. They may start licking her ear and disturb the stitches. Could the grids be used next to the cage, so they are together, but not able to get at each other?

Jan

Date: 2008-11-16 16:02:44

She's eating!!!!!!

Ate loads of carrot tops, some kale, and some apple :D

I'm in the kitchen cooking my own dinner now, but Steve's sat watching her. She seems groggy still, but definately waking up slowly....

Date: 2008-11-16 16:55:46

ouch poor baby!!!!!!!! glad to hear that at least she is eating that is a good sign

She's gotten up out of the carrier and hopped around some. She left a huge pile of nice big poops in the carrier :biggrin2:

I opened the cage, and the others came out to see her/she went to see them. They've been absolutely fine- rubbing noses with her, and Chalk and Mouse both kissed her head. :pNot been anywhere the ear...

She's currently having a nap in the corner of the cage. We'll keep an eye on her and see how she goes the next couple of hours....

Date: 2008-11-16 18:03:44

That POOR BABY! Jen, I just feel so bad that you've had so much lately! :hug:

BTW, my cat Tank, has a cut similar to that and he did it to himself with a toenail. His wasn't sewn and didn't bleed really badly but he has like a little place in his ear still from it.

Date: 2008-11-16 18:31:02

Aww poor you and Snowy, hope it heels nice and quickly:)

Sounds like your onto a winner with that vet!

Date: 2008-11-16 20:14:37

I'm glad that you were there and able to take care of it so quickly!

Date: 2008-11-16 21:07:41

Just finished with chores.:sweep

How's she doing? :?

Post from 11-17-08

Date: 2008-11-17 06:17:26

She's doing fine still! We put her in her own pen last night, right next to the cage, and she's been eating, pooping and everything just great :D I was so worried about that, since Chalk always takes ages to eat anything, although I guess her operations were a lot more serious.

I've unfolded the pen and opened the big cage, so she could see the others, but she seems to just want to sit on her own. She's lying in the corner of the cage, sleeping, but if anyone goes near her, she sort of chases them away :? Not in a violent chase, just sort of lifts her head up, moves towards them and whichever bun runs away :( I'm not sure entirely what that means... I'm hoping it's just because she's still grouchy from the aneasthetic still, but I'm watching very closely nevertheless. Steve's out at a meeting about a possible big job (fingers crossed) at the moment, but when he gets back early afternoon I may get him to help me try a session in neutral territory with them and see how they go....

Right now I'm half asleep- can't seem to be able to get over this jetlag- feels like the middle of the night to me! And I'm sat on the sofa watching them all...

Date: 2008-11-17 09:15:58

Mouse and Chalk started scuffling with Snowy...

I just had to separate the cage- Barney and Snowy in one half, Mouse and Chalk on the other.

They don't seem to understand- Barney is sat by the middle with his nose against the grids :(

I don't know what's happened to my bunnies.... We're just heartbroken..... I'm crying and Steve's crying :( I hope it's only temporary, but I don't know...

:bigtears:

Date: 2008-11-17 11:15:19

I'm sorry they are having trouble. Give it time, let her heal, and then maybe they can all go back together again.

----------------

Date: 2008-11-17 13:14:30

Oh no, I wasn't expecting this :(

Perhaps (hopefully) it's because Snowy is still feeling óff' after her vet trip, and just wants to be on her own to feel normal again. Maybe she still smells of 'vet' and it's putting the others off.

try not to be too disheartened yet (easier said than done, I know). Give them time in their separate areas. Is Barney still with Snowy? How is he reacting to her, and her to him?

Keeping positive thoughts coming your way

Jan

Date: 2008-11-17 13:29:34

Snowy probably doesn't feel well...
I think they will get over this
When Daisy was spayed and brought back from the vet her mate Penn was very mean to her ..you could just see him smelling her and then he would nip her in the butt. She smelled different.

I think I put a scent on both of them (vanilla extract) to dsiguise the hospital smell but I really don't know if it helped as he got over it eventually.

Date: 2008-11-17 15:10:06

Thanks you guys...

Barney is in with Snowy. He's being fine with her, although not as close as normal. This makes me think that maybe it is down to her hospital visit and her smelling different? Although that doesn't explain the possible (that now seems very likely) fight yesterday- why would they just fight out of the blue?

Barney is very confused- he's biting at the divider, I don't think he understands why this morning he had 3 girlfriends and now he can only get to one of them :(

Maureen, vanilla extract you say? Like the sort of stuff you use in cooking? I wonder if that's worth a try.... I didn't do the bonding session this afternoon, due to having to divide the cage instead, but I may try tomorrow. I'm definately not giving up on my quad yet....

Steve just put the dinner down- 2 bowls in 2 separate cages, and no bunnies doing the dinner dance round in circles.... :(

------------------

Date: 2008-11-17 15:13:02

Yeah, vanilla essence works (just the cooking stuff). Maybe also try a car journey because they can work well/ Just wait until she feels better though, and you're probably going to have to go back to real basics with the bonding, but don't panic yet.

Date: 2008-11-17 15:32:29

Flashy wrote:
Yeah, vanilla essence works (just the cooking stuff). Maybe also try a car journey because they can work well/ Just wait until she feels better though, and you're probably going to have to go back to real basics with the bonding, but don't panic yet.
Thank you!! Yeah I will definately make sure she's up to it first... I'm pretty sure I have some vanilla extract somewhere....
A car journey is a good idea.... Although I'm not sure our carrier is big enough for 4 buns lol! Or do you think I should just take Snowy, Mouse and Chalk? I think it would take 3.... but 2 bunnies the size of Barney and Snowy along with the 2 lil girls is probably asking too much of that carrier lol...

Throughout all this though, the strangest thing. Chalk has been doing the most MASSIVE binkies ever. Literally feet into the air, all over the place! In fact, that was the cause of a scuffle earlier- she did a binky over Snowy's head, which scared poor Snowy, who then went for her, probably out of confusion and fear, bless her.... But she just seems to want to binky all day today! :?

Date: 2008-11-17 16:38:32

Maybe Chalk is finally feeling better? (I got the right bun right?) and because of Snowy's vision problems that caused the issue yesterday morning? I'm just speculating.

When I did my quad in the car we didn't use a carry case, but used a storage box instead, worked really well. When I do a quin, I will be using the same box.
--------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2008-11-17 20:53:44

Welcome back from vacation! lol

I hope your Snowy does better (and your quad!). Healin' vibes sent your way! :biggrin2:

Date: 2008-11-17 22:11:32

I am sorry to hear about your bunny issues. I hope you can get them settled so Barney and the others can be happy again. :)

Post from 11-18-08

Date: 2008-11-18 00:52:52

Poor Snowy girl! I don't know how I didn't see the thread until now. I'm glad the wound wasn't too bad and she got it fixed up. Must have hurt :(

Maybe the ear injury and the scuffle later are unrelated? You said Snowy started it when Chalk binkied over her. Remember that albinos have very poor eye sight, so perhaps her grogginess combined with not feeling well/grumpy made her react aggressively when Chalk binkied over her because she couldn't see and was feeling defensive.

Can you let Mouse, Chalk and Barney play together at least?

Date: 2008-11-18 08:13:32

Thanks you guys :)

Flashy, Chalk has been VERY feisty since she recovered. But she's never gone for another bunny before.. I did wonder if maybe something was wrong with her, but Mouse was doing the same thing, so it seems more likely to be a scent related thing...

Shiloh, I am hoping that the binky thing was sort of accidental, but that wasn't the only scuffle :( There were a couple more scuffles as well... Started by Mouse and Chalk which I just don't get :(

Sigh.... Steve thinks maybe we should start again. Put all new flooring down in the cage, take the cage apart, make 2 smaller cages elsewhere in the room, make a pen area to introduce them gradually into. I'm not sure.... but we need to replace the floor either way. It took me a whole day to make that cage, I'm not sure I want to do it all over again lol! :?

Date: 2008-11-18 08:40:48

Jen...

Did this all happen after you changed the flooring?... Is it possible that there is a scent or for some reason it's making one or more of them nervous? Ok, maybe this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off :p But it got me wondering anyway :)

They weren't scuffling while you were away... Which means it's not about the vet scent because Chalk was home. And if they scuffled before which caused Snowy to get hurt, means it's not the vet scent again. I understand it can be simply bunnies being bunnies. I just thought of the flooring being changed that was just just done...

------------
Date: 2008-11-18 08:55:49

I guess we could speculate until the cows come home on this, but with time it will probably become clear.

I'm inclined to agree with Steve about starting again, but not completely. I would keep the cage you have now and keep it divided into two, and keep swapping the pairs over so you get all scents in all areas and they remain used to being near each other, but I would start with intros on neutral territory, but really, a car journey in a big box could potentially solve the problems.

It might be worth neutralising your whole cage with a distilled vinegar solution to make sure that no bun sees it as theirs and do that at any key point, like if you do manage to get them together and want to move them back in.

Date: 2008-11-18 08:58:25

Yeah, in the end, not much we can do but give them time :?

I was telling Jen not to rush on rebonding the cause the damage is fresh and bunnies don't forget who's injured them so if it wasn't accidental, there's probably going to be more trouble if it's rushed. That's too bad though. But heck, a quad is no easy feat in the first place :p

Date: 2008-11-18 09:19:54

Thanks you guys! SO much :)

Been discussing this with Sophie, and I guess that even if it was the flooring, it still wont change things as they are now....

I guess we really are going to have to start all over again!

Do you think it's safe to change the flooring on the bottom of the cages? I guess it can't do anymore harm now...

We're going to get the new flooring stuff tonight, and will lookout for a big box for car journeys... Flashy, what kind of a box do you use? Like a big plastic storage box thing?

Date: 2008-11-18 09:47:44

Yeah Jen, don't worry about the flooring. Like I said, it seems a lil far-fetched anyway. Bunnies are like that. They're special. I guess it's because they are so sensitive, it seems their relationships are so real and sincere, so relatable? I don't know how to explain. They just need time to work it out :biggrin2:

Date: 2008-11-18 09:53:09

Yup, a big plastic storage box with no lid, and if it has low sides its a big easier. If you are concerned about somebun's reaction to another you could take vanilla essence with you and put it on if they go funny whilst you're out (on them, not you :p).

Date: 2008-11-18 09:55:04

:hug:You've bonded them before, You'll bond them again... It'll work out, Jen :)
Glad Snowy's ear is all stitched up :)

Date: 2008-11-18 10:11:13

MissBinky wrote:
They weren't scuffling while you were away... Which means it's not about the vet scent because Chalk was home. And if they scuffled before which caused Snowy to get hurt, means it's not the vet scent again.
Did Snowy go to the same vet (clinic) that Chalk did? Is it possible that they are avoiding her because of the "vet smell" that made Chalk so miserable? You know, Chalk came home all icky, and now Snowy smells the same way? Maybe in their little minds, the smell is making Chalk have bad memories (feelings) and Mouse is acting that way because of Chalk?

(Hypothetical) Chalk: "Ohh, you smell like the bad place that made me hurt. I don't want you near me, because I don't want to hurt again." *little flying bunny forepaws*

... I'm tired :p

Date: 2008-11-18 11:54:31

kherrmann3 wrote:
MissBinky wrote: They weren't scuffling while you were away... Which means it's not about the vet scent because Chalk was home. And if they scuffled before which caused Snowy to get hurt, means it's not the vet scent again.
Did Snowy go to the same vet (clinic) that Chalk did? Is it possible that they are avoiding her because of the "vet smell" that made Chalk so miserable? You know, Chalk came home all icky, and now Snowy smells the same way? Maybe in their little minds, the smell is making Chalk have bad memories (feelings) and Mouse is acting that way because of Chalk?
(Hypothetical) Chalk: "Ohh, you smell like the bad place that made me hurt. I don't want you near me, because I don't want to hurt again." *little flying bunny forepaws*

... I'm tired :p
LOL! I guess that's possible.... Chalk does seem to have a funny mind lol! She's a silly bunner at the best of times...

I was just watching them- Snowy was sleeping on the top shelf and Mouse and Chalk were cuddled on the top shelf on the opposite side.... Snowy went over to the bars and put her nose on the ground, as it to be groomed, and Chalk was sort of sniffing through the bars with her mouth open? Then she put her nose really close to Snowy's, like she was about to groom her, and Snowy stayed perfectly still, but Chalk jumped back? Poor Snowy tried again to 'make friends' and the same thing happened....

Now, Snowy is lying down staring at Chalk and Chalk is sat on the other side of the bars, sort of huffy looking, but looking sideways at Snowy. It's almost like they've had a row and want to make up but one is being stubborn lol.... :?

I don't suspect that Snowy's ear was down to Chalk at all. I got down there literally seconds after whatever noise it was, and Chalk was loafed away on the top shelf, looking quite sleepy. Mouse seems to be over her troubles with Snowy, whatever they were- at least she hasn't been trying to get Snowy through the cage wall :?

:pullhair:

Date: 2008-11-18 18:32:53

Well, no Tuesday evening is complete without a trip to the emergency vets!! :X

I picked up Snowy earlier- we had thought about maybe an introduction in neutral territory, but I wanted to check her ear too. Anyway, she is prone to poopy butt from time to time, so I always check down there when I hold her. I found..... A hole. It's a few inches higher than her private 'area' and all I could see was a clump of fur and the edge of skin, and... a hole. I'd never seen anything like it before.

I umm'd and aaah'd for about 2 minutes and then decided to call the vets. I thought I might be being paranoid but then I thought best to get it checked out.

Anyway, we were lucky when we got there that it was Clara, the vet that has been treating Chalk. She's so lovely.

She said it presented very odd, but it looked like an abscess on the skin that had burst at some time and then had healed. It's well on the way to healing now- hence it looks odd, like a hole, but with new skin around it. She said it looks really strange, but she can't see any pus or anything around it :?

She's on antibiotics- got a shot there, and we're to keep an eye on it. Bathe the area twice a day. She wants us in for a recheck on Friday, and she'd like us to call tomorrow to give her an update, because she wants to know how Snowy is doing. Bless her! She also gave her a shot of Metacam there and she said she'll give us some more tomorrow if we need it (we couldn't remember how much we had here). She doesn't seem to be in obvious pain but she's less excited about food and very lethargic :?

Since we bought her home she's not eaten either! :(

I just don't know how we missed it. It can't have happened on Sunday- Clara thinks that it's healed over too much for an abscess to have formed, burst and healed in 2 days. I guess it might explain why the others have been picking on her? If they sensed some sort of weakness somewhere? :? My poor Snowy. I held her on Sunday, and I held her like a baby in my arms, and I checked her butt, but I didn't see that :( She is quite furry I guess, but I just missed it. I feel terrible. I really hope she recovers ok. I can't have another bunny sick, I just cant :(

This thread has about a million different stories in it now, I should probably change the title, but I'm not sure what to lol.... I'll have a think about it :?

Date: 2008-11-18 18:44:42

Wow, that is very odd, I think I would have flipped out, lol. It is a strange situation.

Metacam will cause a decrease in appetite and lethargy in most buns. Because she is on that, and the stress of the vet trip may be why she is 'off' today. Hopefully she will be fine soon. It sounds like your current bunny household is rather dramatic, hard to keep stress and anxiety under check in these situations eh? They may be sensing your stress at the moment too.

How deep would you say the 'hole' is? The fact that it has healed over well on its own is very good though!

Date: 2008-11-18 19:54:55

Well, it's hard to say. It really is an odd thing to see. I wont try and get a pic of it tonight cos she's so stressed but at some point when it's appropriate I will...

I couldn't see at first because all her fur (and shaking bunny feet lol) but once the vet cleaned the fur it cleared a little like wet fur does and you could see better. It's sort of like a crater-ish, a few mm deep. There's new skin growing over half of it, at least, and I guess there's a sort of crescent shape left where it's still to heal. It's not bloody and raw at all, it looks kind of odd, skin like... but I can't describe it :?

The stress sounds more than likely the reason she wont eat... she's been chewing a willow toy and a cardboard box very happily though lol... :?

You are totally right that it's been very stressful in this house recently! I've tried to keep it away from the bunnies, but yesterday (and today probably) i just couldn't pull myself up. I sort of just felt deflated all day....

I hope she eats something soon.... I certainly don't want to have to face that again :?

Date: 2008-11-18 20:25:37

slavetoabunny wrote:
Thank goodness for your vet insurance or you would be in the poorhouse! You've certainly had more than your share of bunny health problems lately. :hug:
Lol.... you can say that again! Honestly, our insurance has been a lifesaver. Completely. We would have found the money somewhere, but it's so nice not to worry about where from lol...

The best thing about our vet? She didn't
think it was at all related to the incident on Sunday morning as the wound looked too well healed etc for that, but she said to put it through as the same claim and she will say that it can't be ruled out, because that saves us having to pay another £50 excess and a £10 direct claim fee. If the insurance company twig and decline it, then we can put it through as a separate claim. But we still only pay £60 as opposed to the £200 that the out of ours +consult etc etc would have been... plus the £270 on Sunday!:)

Date: 2008-11-18 22:59:01

Aww, man! Poor Snowy (and you)! It seems like your buns just won't give you a break! Congrats on having pet insurance, though!

Best wishes! :bunny17:

Date: 2008-11-19 01:30:18

That poor baby!

When Clover was little (we got her cause of my sister's dog grabbing her and hurting her leg) she had a puncture in her hip. We didn't notice until it burst, but she had a abscess on the back of her leg. When the thing finally did show itself, it was a line of pinkish skin, surrounded by newer, healed skin, and the fur starting to grow back just at the edge of that.

Bunnies are weird.

Post from 11-19-08

Date: 2008-11-19 01:30:18

That poor baby!

When Clover was little (we got her cause of my sister's dog grabbing her and hurting her leg) she had a puncture in her hip. We didn't notice until it burst, but she had a abscess on the back of her leg. When the thing finally did show itself, it was a line of pinkish skin, surrounded by newer, healed skin, and the fur starting to grow back just at the edge of that.

Bunnies are weird.

Date: 2008-11-19 03:58:33

What a rough time you're having. I would be inclined to agree that the others sensed something was going on with her, and so turned on her, very similar to what mine did, I guess.

It's certainly a blessing you are insured, but more so that you found this and Snowy can get the right treatment. You didn't do anything wrong by not seeing it instantly. It happens with any animal, and moreso with a rabbit. The important thing is that when you noticed it you got her the necessary help, which is all anyone can do :)

How is she today?

Date: 2008-11-19 11:11:41

Thanks you guys :)

She finally ate something last night before I went to bed! I can't remember what time it was, but she started eating carrot tops, then moved on to lettuce, and hay and then she had a piece of dried pineapple from me as a treat :)

I don't know why it is, but carrot tops (wet) are always the first thing that my buns start eating again after an episode! :p

She's been alright today- she ate all her breakfast, and she's been moving about ok, although sleeping a lot too. Mind you she isn't a particuarly active bunny at the best of times... Unless she's binkying round the garden...

I cleaned the wound earlier, it looks pretty much the same I think, definately no worse. We'll clean it again later. I might try and take a picture then, with Steve to hold her, because it's so hard to describe! It's not bloody at all or anything, not even red and inflamed looking, just pinkish skin, like you said Pennie. :?

I have noticed that her and Chalk have been sat close to the bars more, without showing any 'violent tendancies', lol. So I guess there's improvement there!

Date: 2008-11-19 12:37:11

Oh Jen, when is it all going to end??? And yes, thank goodness for insurance ( and some great vets :))

Poor Snowy. I guess it could have happened when you were away. At least it sounds as if it's healing well. How is she today?

Jan

Date: 2008-11-19 14:29:57

Oh my....poor Snowy....poor YOU!!

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Date: 2008-11-19 20:44:52

That's so strange - I bet she just had a sore or something that festered. I'm glad it's healing!

GUYS!!!!! Can you help us?

Ali is trying to put my old thread back together, but she is missing some days....

Does anyone get the 'watched forum' notifications for the Infirmary? If so, do you have the emails from the 17th and 18th?? It would really help- I had loads of good re-bonding advice in there, plus it was a good document of how they became unbonded....

If it can't be put back together, then it's not the end of the world, but it would be really great if it could!

Thanks! :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
GUYS!!!!! Can you help us?

Ali is trying to put my old thread back together, but she is missing some days....

Does anyone get the 'watched forum' notifications for the Infirmary? If so, do you have the emails from the 17th and 18th?? It would really help- I had loads of good re-bonding advice in there, plus it was a good document of how they became unbonded....

If it can't be put back together, then it's not the end of the world, but it would be really great if it could!

Thanks! :)
I should add, if you have them, please PM Ali/ JadeIcing! Thank you! :)

There is most of it. As Jen said if you have it PM and I will edit it in. :biggrin2:

So I added in the 18th and 19th now I need the post for the 20th. I didn't get those. :?

angieluv wrote:
Thanks so much Ali for putting this back together so well...:)

Maureen
Lots of practice.

The voodoo doll strikes again...

This morning was fun. I was upstairs drying my hair, while Steve was meant to be feeding the buns. He got the bowls out but didn't clip the cage doors back up properly, and went into the kitchen. Snowy and Chalk both got out and had a HUGE fight. He said they were like a white tornado spinning round on the floor together :?

The stitches were pulled out of Snowy's ear, and she had another smaller hole further up. Chalk has a tiny scratch, but it's very superficial, and didn't even bleed.

Snowy is currently in the vets being re-stitched up. While she's in there we're taking the 2 cages apart and moving them far away from each other, so that they can have no contact whatsoever. Then we're putting an NIC gate around each cage when the opposite pair is out so that no contact can be made through the bars either...

Sigh....

Steve feels awful. He knows he should have clipped it up properly. He did it 'on purpose' because he thought it would be ok, just for a minute or 2 :? I shouted at him :? I feel bad now, because he was practically in tears at the vets... He keeps apologising, to me and the rabbits...

Anyway, Snowy has been stitched up, and is doing ok and we can pick her up in 2 hours. Then maybe after that we will nail ourselves into the house and not leave for a long time in case anything else should happen!

mouse_chalk wrote:
Sigh....

Steve feels awful. He knows he should have clipped it up properly. He did it 'on purpose' because he thought it would be ok, just for a minute or 2 :? I shouted at him :? I feel bad now, because he was practically in tears at the vets... He keeps apologising, to me and the rabbits...

Anyway, Snowy has been stitched up, and is doing ok and we can pick her up in 2 hours. Then maybe after that we will nail ourselves into the house and not leave for a long time in case anything else should happen!

I thought something had happened when you hadn't come online yet. I was hoping it was good not bad.

It happens to us all. Tell him your sorry and not to blame himself. I know how hard it is to see the bunnies you love who loved each other unbond. Not an easy thing.

Nail yourself in and talk to the bunnies and explain to them that they need to behave. No more Bunny Fight Club.

We picked her up about an hour or so ago.

Her ear has been completely repaired again, although it has a slight kink in it now, due to the tissue from the previous stitches being pulled out, so it's sort of folded in a bit, if that makes sense. The vet says it's looking good, and as long as she avoids anymore trauma it should be ok, but that there is a risk with all the trauma she's had this week that the tissue might not survive. However, the vet said we will cross that bridge when we come to it, and that it seems unlikely right now.

The good news is (OMG THERE'S GOOD NEWS???!!!) that her abscess-wound thing has healed up loads! The vet was really pleased when she saw it this morning. Whilst they were doing her ear they clipped the fur around it and cleaned it up a lot, and it looks so much better now. Much easier to clean as well now she's not so fluffy there lol...

She's currently sleeping in her cage, with Barney lying next to her. She ate some of her packed lunch while she was at the vets, and she's had a drink and a tiny nibble, but not a great amount yet. Steve's gone for carrot tops to try and tempt her round :)

Meanwhile, I've separated their cages completely, and Barney and Snowy's is now on a different wall. Mouse and Chalk are currently in their cage and I've put part of the NIC garden pen around it, so that there can be no fighting through the bars.

Poor all of you :(

Hopefully they can be happy in their pairs :) That's a good start for now, and its great about her abscess. I guess its one of those times when you focus only on the positives and find as many as possible :)

I hope Mr Barney looks after her because she certainly needs it right now.

Hey Jen

Sometimes I let my buns fight through bars (I double the fence so they cannot get to each other). More often than not they get used to each other and and even if it takes a long time will usually stop fighting between the bars because it gets old....

That doesn't mean they can be together without bars only that they can become very familar with each other and not fight

This is not your situation but just thought thatI would add my experiences....
glad that Snowy's abscess is better and we'll hope that her ear comes along OK
I'm almost afraid of touching this thread

maybe sort of afraid that it will disappear ot something.... :D

Just to let you know she started eating.... of course! :biggrin2: It was carrot tops that saved the day yet again.... at about 9pm I think...

I went out for a well-deserved drink with my friends- I've not seen them in weeks and I wasn't gonna go but once again Steve persuaded me. Plus Snowy started eating just before I left :)

Steve said that while I was out, Snowy was chewing on carrot tops, and then fell fast asleep- very comfortably, with a piece of carrot top still in her mouth! He said she eventually woke up, stretched, hopped into the litter tray, peed and pooped, and then out again, before she realised she still had the carrot top in her mouth! Then she promptly chewed it all down lol :biggrin2: :laughsmiley::laughsmiley:

She's still loving sleeping over anything else, but who can blame her after 2 GA's twice in one week. I know that for me just having one was like getting over the flu, I can't imagine 2 so close together for a human let alone a poor bunny....

We're so lucky to have her- she's so beautiful and such a good bunny!

Anyway, Maureen, I agree too, and I can't remember if I mentioned this last night or not, but Snowy managed to get a little scratch on her nose, from a scuffle between the bars, so we don't want to take any chances of any more injuries. Hopefully if they start to calm down a bit we can get rid of the extra barrier but for the meantime I think it has to stay...:(

my guys bite each others noses and lips through the holes in a baby gate. I've put up a towel so they can't see each other on the other side, but that only works if your bunbuns don't try to destroy the towel to get to those other bunnies. I put it on the docile bunnies' side, and it works just fine.

Latest posts

Back