Sniffles and introducing friends

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylicourt

Reaction score
Hello, this may have a really obvious answer but basically my bunny has the sniffles but other than that she's absolutely healthy and happy. I've just got the one bunny because i know it contagious and would never risk another rabbit getting it.
But the place i work at, we have a bunny there who also has the sniffles, would there be a negative effect if i introduced another bunny with the same issue? Could it potentially make it worse in the long run if i introduced another sniffly bunny to her?
I would LOVE my rabbit to have a friend for when i'm at work or uni to keep her company, but don't want to do it if it would make the situation any worse.

I'd be worried they might have somewhat different diseases & both rabbits end up with both diseases.

Could one or both be a problem with low humidity, often a problem in buildings during the heating season if there is no humidifier? You might see if adding humidity at home helps.

Bunnies don't typically get respiratory viruses or have chronic runny nose for no reason. I would look into causes. It is usually a bacterial infection. In that case, introducing one bunny with a runny nose to another could lead to them sharing bacteria and it getting worse. The stress of meeting a new bunny could also make the nose worse. Meeting a new bunny is always stressful because there are dominance issues to be worked out. This is a good source of info on runny nose:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/runny-nose-10463/

Latest posts

Back