Snickers's Tooth was Ripped out!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is a long story that I'm going to make short. Snickers, my choc jr. buck was scheduled for breeding with a doe yesterday, and I tried, but she wouldn't let him do anything. So I swapped their cages so they could get each other's scent. My cages are all-wire, and there was a buck in the next hutch. Well I went out to feed today, and something was in Snickers's mouth. I though it was an oat, because I sometimes give my rabbits horse oats, but I took him out and It was his right top incisor!! It was just hanging there, so I just pulled it on out. I guess he got in a fight between the wire with the other buck! I was almost crying, because Snickers is my best buck and he was going to do so well next year... but I watched him for a bit. He seems to be eating right and everything. There is a little bit of a sharp point where the tooth came out. What do I do? I don't know what to do!! Do I file it down? Will it grow back? Will it somehow cause maloclusion (sp?)? Please help, I'm scared for the poor boy, I still need some heirs from him, also... will he still be okay to be a breeding buck? Someone please help fast! I might not reply until about eight (eastern time) but I will read this when I get back. Help!!

--Kiya--

If the point that is left is very sharp, it can be snipped off with nail clippers or filed down.

Many times, the tooth grows back fine. On occasion, they do grow in crooked.

The teeth grow 1/2 inch or more per month, so in a short time, you'll hopefully see the new growth coming in.

Pam

Oh my gosh, Thank you!! I was so scared for him. He's only about five months old, he has his whole future ahead of him! Thank you so much. So no vet service required, then? I think I can do the clipping.

--Kiya--

I wouldn't use clippers to cut the sharp bit, they are more likely to crack/shatter the tooth especially if it's already damaged. Getting the vet to burr them would be better. The sharp bit you can see might actually be the peg tooth. That's a much smaller tooth (about 4mm wide) that sits directly behind the incisors. Usually you can't see them as they are hidden by the teeth infront.

The teeth should grow back normally but sometimes they can cause problems if the root was knocked out of alignment at the same time. Just keep a close eye as they grow back. Also watch out for the tooth below which might over grow without the one above to wear again. That might need attention until the upper tooth grows back.

Tam

Okay, well, I already went out and got the job done. My dad helped me retrain him, but he didn't jerk but one time. I took the clippers and grabbed onto it, and slowly pulled it out. It was just attached to a little bit of gum, but I don't even think he felt it. It was just hanging there. I was wondering what that thng was; a peg tooth? I though it was already a new growth! oh well, I think he'll be fine, now. He doesn't act in pain at all. The bottom incisor (same side) looks a little chipped. I mean, you can't see it looking straight on, but if you tilt his had, it's chipped in the back. Do I need to do anything for that?

Thanks everyone, for advice!

Unless the teeth are overgrowing I would leave them now. You won't get them perfect with clipping and you'll just end up doing more damage. It's best to let them sort themselves out and only trim them if they cause problems, let them wear naturally back to shape.

The bit you pulled out was either the peg tooth or the root from the incisor, if it's that latter the tooth might not regrow at all.

Tam

No, I know I didn't pull the peg tooth, because that's what I thought was the new growth. But if the part I pulled out was the root, I would've fallen out without my help. That's how loose it was! But I don't think it was. There was soft white a blue tissuebehind it. Was these veins or something?

You were just supposed to clip off the sharp part - not pull the rest of the tooth out (unless it was loose and hanging?).

Pam

If you have pulled something out and gum was attached then Im guessing it was the root you pulled out. I could be wrong without seeing it but if they are at all similar to humans, then I think it is the root:?

I also forgot to add(again going by humans) if the root was very loose it still would not have fallen out on its own. It will still have required you to pull at it:?

Back