Sneezing while cleaning...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetrose

Reaction score
Libby The true north west Montana, Montana, USA
My maverick (5 month old tri-colored mini-rex) Does this weird sneezing thing while he cleans himself, not sure if this is the right place to post, but every time he cleans himself he sneezes several times i'd say around 8 or 9 times, he doesnt do it any other time, is he like "spitting" on his paws to clean himself or is he making himself sneeze by cleaning?

My bun does that sometimes. Does your bunny hang out a lot in his hay? Mine will lie down in it and for a while I had some very dusty, bitty hay and I would imagine some stuck on him. He probably breathed some in while grooming. There was no nasal discharge. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He sneezes a lot less now that he gets fed a less dusty brand of hay (which has helped my allergies a lot too).

If he doesn't do it all the time and there's no discharge when he sneezes I am inclined to think he is just...sneezing. If he increases frequency of sneezes or has any discharge I'd definitely check with a vet as he may need meds for something going on in his system.

Edit: I don't think rabbits spit in their front paws to clean. they may lick and wipe and lick again but I've never seen my bunnies do a spit and wipe :)

Back