Sneezing noise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
Hello, I haven't posted in a while!

I have a question regarding an interesting noise Harvey is making. I'm posting it here because it sort of sounds like a sneeze. I have noticed the "sneeze" 3 times. Each widely spread apart at least 3 weeks. Obviously, could be happening when I am not around...The "sneeze" happens when I approach the cage, usually when he knows he will be getting pellets (hears the bag move). He is breathing heavy in some form, might be inhaling sharply? He puts his paws to his face and rubs while he does the noise. Depending how fast I put food in front of him could last up to a minute! Not sure how to describe it exactly. Once I give him the pellets the noise stops.

No discharge on nose, front paws, eyes etc. Everything else completely normal, no changes in anything around him (minus weather).

Perhaps this is a behavioral? He isn't neutered... Is this a noise an excited/impatient bunny would make?

Or a medical issue that I coincidentally noticed when feeding pellets. I feed pellets everyday so why isn't he making the noise all the time?

Sorry for all the questions, just a bit confused/concerned. Thanks!

:?

Well MATH :)

I read your post 3 times hoping something would become clear to me but to be perfectly honest I hope someone else has a clue if this is behavioral.

It sounds like it could be due to the fact that he is anticipating the pellets ....but I have never heard of a rabbit doing this before. I hope possibly someone else has...

Um it is fairly new. I heard a couple months back and sort of assumed he had something stuck in his nose because it stopped quickly and never heard it again. Until about a month ago (again I sort of dismissed it). I heard it yesterday for the 3rd time so now I am starting to wonder.

Usually when he is excited for food (at breakfast and dinner), he zooms around his cage binkying. It is curious why I have only heard the noise when I go to feed him pellets (sometimes I give him his night scoop early if I know I won't be able to feed his veggies at the usual time).

I've never actually seen an asthma attack, so I could be off base, but it comes to mind. Can bunnies have asthma? (sorry if that was a dumb question). I do wonder why he rubs his nose during these episodes. Did I mention it's continous/fast paced sneezes or breathing... Then it just stops.

Probably the wisest thing to do is take him to a vet (who knows rabbits) and have his face examined..possibly even x-rays that could show any abnormal thickening of the nasal (sinus)passages or any infection. Probably best to have his mouth examined also because from my experiencedental issues can cause all kinds of seemingly unrelated symptoms.

the vet may also take a sample to culture ; if it was some sort of severe allergy it may show changes in his sinuses

he alsocould have an infection that , at this point , that only exhibits itself when he is highly excited.

:?really I am unsure but if it was my rabbit i would want to get it checked out.

:yeahthat:

It could be something as simple as a happy honk to get his food, but it's strange and it could be something much worse, so it's best to just get it checked out.

Latest posts

Back