Sneezing bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit, melvin, has been sneezing lately. Sometimes it's a softer sneeze, but sometimes it's a hard, head shaking sneeze. He'll sneeze about 5-7 times in a few minutes and then be on his way. He's acting normal, eating, running to greet me, no runny nose that I've noticed. He does get some eye crusties, but I haven't seen his eyes wet or weepy, no fur matting. Do you think I should take him to the vet

My rabbit was doing this for a few days, it was because of all the hair flying around due to the shedding. A few days after he started shedding his winter coat. It’s possible little hairs are getting into his nose.

But keep an eye on it. If it continues, you should see a vet!

Thank you for the response. They did just finish their molt, and also Lately they've been getting down to the last of the hay and its a bit dusty, so hopefully it's just a little dust or hair. I went and got them a new bale, and an air purifier for my room (they bunk with me) right after work today. Praying that'll take care of it.

I have a mini rex who started sneezing a few months ago. His nose was always dry so I didnt worry too much. But after a few weeks...still sneezing. Then one day he wouldn't eat breakfast, so took him to vet right away. Nothing. Just some gas and a broken toe nail. No URI or anything noticeable. I could not afford $200 blood work, so they sent me home with basic antibiotics, 10 days... his sneezing lessened, but never stopped. Then a couple days after meds were stopped...I checked on his nose and it was wet. so right back to vet. They did a nasal flush, in case something was stuck up there...nothing but they did get a good size mucus snot out---she checked it under the microscope... bacterial infection. So got better meds and gave them to him for 18 days..... never stopped sneezing. His nose is dry, its been about a week since I stopped his meds..... but he sneezes every day. Im at a loss. Im also worried too of course. I need to save up money for blood work and xrays I guess. My advice to you is it's better dafe than sorry, a simple vet check cant hurt :)

Back