Sneezing bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheenisowner

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Last month I had rescued three rabbits and I decided to adopt one of them. He has been sneezing...5-6 times in a row. We have done fecal tests, and everything is fine, ears mouth etc and no discharge from the nose. He prescribed baytrel nose drops. If that doesn't work then we will do a culture to get a better idea.
I feel terrible for him especially not being able to figure it out.
He is eat, drinking, playing and binkying fine.

Any input would be great.

If there's no nasal discharge that sounds more like maybe an allergy than an infection. Try changing up his litter and shaking the dust out of his hay before you give it to him.
I've been dealing with a sneezing rabbit of my own and we're also using a humidifier and a nebulizer to help with her congestion.
This is the video I made on nebulizing her if that helps with your bunny.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29dG5fU5J4[/ame]

It could be dust from the litter or hay. Not long after we brought Thumper home he started having sneezing fits. I was using recycled paper litter and did notice it was dusty. I switched litters, he stopped sneezing and has had no problems since.

Yes I did notice his hay to be a bit dusty but I try to shake it all off before giving it to him. He always starts sneezing when he's cleaning and making a grumbling noise when he is eat and cleaning.

How often do you clean the cage? Could it be dusty in the cage? Thumper is kept at night and when no one is home in a large dog cage. The days I don't really scrub his cage (he is neat and is potty trained) I do wipe the plastic bottom with a damp paper towel to get up any hair or hay dust.

Thumper makes a grunting sound when he eats, grooms himself and plays. With him I know it is a happy sound. This may be the same thing with your bun as far as the grumbling sounds.

Does he only sneeze when he is cleaning himself? Or at other times as well?

My bunny does that too sometimes. There's also no discharge.
He usually sneezes when he eats his hay (not always but at least several times a day). He sometimes sneezes when he does this little dive into his fleece blanket. My guess is that it's probably dust but I am also planning on taking him to the vet next week just to make sure.
I'm very paranoid about him.

Back