Sneezing bunny! Please help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleEskimo

Reaction score
Ok, recently we have been having awful weather with torrential wind and rain. This morning it was all dry and clear so I let the rabbit out. I was also helping my mum to look after my sisters kids like every Monday. But I didn't realise that it had started to rain. I ran outside to find her sheltering from the weather and I brought her inside to dry off. she wasn't drenched through, just reasonably damp and wet. So I brought her into the kitchen where it is nice and cool for her and she dried herself off. Her hutch which wasn't covered up when it started to rain got wet inside which meant I couldn't put her back...I had to keep her inside for the night. She has been kept in the lounge, I have tried my best to make sure she doesn't get too hot. Fed her, gave her water and veg, she played around and chilled out and was acting really normal. Then she started to have these sneezing fits. I hoped that it might have been a bit of dust caught up her nose. But the more the kept on doing it the more I became worried that it might be a cold or something. She has been in the lounge and kitchen before and never had any problems with her sneezing. I have asked Yahoo Answers, another rabbit forum, guinea pig forum and now here in hope that someone is awake (nearly 3 in the morning here) I am just so worried and upset and I have been told it could be snuffles but I can't seem to find any discharge from her nose and she is sleeping right now and I can't hear her snoring or snuffling...Please I am getting so paranoid I can't sleep and I am so worried about her :( I just want her to be ok...

i'm new to rabbits, but i wouldn't guess snuffles here i'd guess a possible upper respiratory infection from getting wet. i'm sure someone else will come along if i'm wrong, but if that's what's going on she will need antibiotics and to be watched closely as any infection can cause them to go into gi stasis and then you have a whole new set of problems.

shawnwk1 wrote:
i'm new to rabbits, but i wouldn't guess snuffles here i'd guess a possible upper respiratory infection from getting wet. i'm sure someone else will come along if i'm wrong, but if that's what's going on she will need antibiotics and to be watched closely as any infection can cause them to go into gi stasis and then you have a whole new set of problems.

She was sleeping quite soundly until she woke up and flopped over to get comfy, but now she has started to sneeze again. It seems to only be sneezy when she is awake from what I have seen

snuffles is a catch 22 term. Snuffles merely means symptoms = runny nose, wet eyes etc.

Very likely this is allergies. Keep an eye out. If you see discharge, that's the time for a visit to the vet. Temp changes that are big like that can influence them, but if she isn't having breathing problems or wet nose, I'd assume its ok.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
snuffles is a catch 22 term. Snuffles merely means symptoms = runny nose, wet eyes etc.

Very likely this is allergies. Keep an eye out. If you see discharge, that's the time for a visit to the vet. Temp changes that are big like that can influence them, but if she isn't having breathing problems or wet nose, I'd assume its ok.

Well, I have just been watching her and wondering if she is allergic to something on the rug...she was just hopping around the room and wasn't sneezing...then she went and sniffed the rug and instantly has a sneeze...I wonder if I remove the rug if she will stop sneezing

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Have you used carpet cleaner of any sort on it? I know someone who's dog has been losing tons of fur and having allerigies and finally they figured out its the carpet cleaner. Just a thought.

I have removed the rug and put down a fleece throw (since we have wood floors). She has been on it a few minutes and so far no horrible violent sneezing fits like before. Although she cleaned her face and was doing what sounded like little puffs of air from her nose. As if finally being able to give her nose a clear out. I will still keep a close eye on her but so far so good. I hope it was just a little allergy and nothing nasty. Thankyou

Bunnylova4eva wrote:

catch 22 on here, but not in vet terms. snuffles is chronic and will continue to cause problems for life where upper respiratory infections can be treated and aren't necessarily chronic

LittleEskimo wrote:
I have removed the rug and put down a fleece throw (since we have wood floors). She has been on it a few minutes and so far no horrible violent sneezing fits like before. Although she cleaned her face and was doing what sounded like little puffs of air from her nose. As if finally being able to give her nose a clear out. I will still keep a close eye on her but so far so good. I hope it was just a little allergy and nothing nasty. Thankyou
who'd have ever thought we could be so happy about allergies lol i'm glad she's okay and not sick. now if i can just figure out why chance has been sneezing since i got him lol

shawnwk1 wrote:
Bunnylova4eva wrote:

catch 22 on here, but not in vet terms. snuffles is chronic and will continue to cause problems for life where upper respiratory infections can be treated and aren't necessarily chronic

Yes, I know. I've been through it with 2 bunnies.:( Not fun at all. All I'm saying is "Snuffles" means anything from allergies, to upper respiritory infection, dental problems, to something stuck in their nose. Not just Pasteurella though many people refer to it that way as snuffles {Pasteurella many times being along, on going issue that often comes back and you'll fight throughout the bunnies life}.

LittleEskimo: Glad bunny is going better! :) Just keep an eye out, buthopefullythat is all it was. :pray:

Latest posts

Back