sneezing bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nancyf

Reaction score
My bunny is sneezing. A few moths ago I took him to a vet who prescribed an antibiotic. It almost killed him. I got him better using a product called Critter be Better. He is still sneezing...Is a product called Vet Rx good to use for this? Is it safe?

Thx!

Is his breathing labored or raspy sounding? Is there any discharge coming from his nose? If so then what color is it? He could be allergic to something in his environment. Like house dust, perfume, fabric softener, room fresheners or pot pouri. Products used for bedding or litter like pine, cedar, or clay litters can cause sneezing if your bunny has allergies. Also if it's an allergy thing antibiotics won't do anything.

Thank you for replying. There is no real discharge only a little "booger" once in a while, no labored breathing either. I thought of the allergy thing but he uses only aspen litter and critter care which I think is supposed to be OK. That is why I am a little concerned, he is eating fine and pooping fine though....What do you think?

If the discharge is clear and there is only a little bit then I would lean towards it being allergies. Is he housed inside or outside? Rabbits are prone to respiratory infections so I would go back to the vet and ask them to listen to his breathing. What type of antibiotics was he first given?

He is housed inside with us. I can't remember the name of the antibiotic but I remember that it was not good for humans to handle and we had to be very careful about washing our hands after handling it. The vet said that all of the other antibiotics work in essentially the same way and that he would not recommend using any others on him. I guess I will keep tabs on him to see what happens.
Thanks for your help!

If the windows are open, it could be pollen from outdoors.

Or you might want to try a pelleted litter to see if that helps with dust. And/or remove the dusty parts of the hay you're using & see if that helps.

If the gook from his nose is white (and thinkend) it is likely infection. Is this a rabbit-savvy vet? There are alot who claim to treat rabbits but aren't good. This sounds like possibly the case-there are lots of medicines that can succesfully treat URI (Upper Respiritory infections). I would highly recomend checking into a second oppinion. Is you vet listed in here? :

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

Latest posts

Back