Snacks and young buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a pair of young bunnies, a three-month-old and a two-month-old respectively. Now, I know they cannot have fresh foods for a while longer, but...I bought a whole bushel of apples recently from a farmer, and since I cannot eat that many before they go bad (and this is taking into account that a whole lot will be made into pies and cider and baked goods) my roommate and I are slicing and dehydrating the apples.

We are also going to be prepping a lot of pumpkins and squashes (mostly Butternut and Acorn squashes) soon and might keep the seeds.

Plus I have a tonne of banana I dehydrated a while back.

My question is this: are these foods acceptable as occasional treats to my young bunnies? They've been (or in the case of the seeds, will be) dehydrated to remove all moisture.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give! :)

Apple seeds are deadly, but apple is one of our bunnies favorites. Banana is supposed to be good, but ours won't touch it. You can, according to our vet, introduce veggies and a SMALL amount of fruit when they hit 4 months.

I feed my buns cooked and cooled squash, but I'm not sure about the seeds. Be careful not to over feed fruit, think of it like candy. Occasional small amounts are ok, but over indulging can cause weight gain and stomach upset. This is particularly true with dried fruit because the sugars are concentrated. I will give my adults one apple ring or one banana slice a week, but they get greens and herbs every night.

Back