Smoking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanTheDutch

Reaction score
Both me and my mom smoke ciggerattes, and I readto never smoke in the presence of a rabbit. We dont, but we still smokein our appt. Is there still a big risk at something happening toDuncan?\

Sara and Duncan

Yes, I think so. Does the smoke go near him atall or in the same room as DUncan? IF so you need to smoke somewhereelse because he might inhale it and could become sick, you don't evenknow if he has elergic reactions to the smoke or the smell,soi wouldn't smoke near him or in your appt.

Jack and Marshmellow's mom

arggggg smoking isno worse than cooking with all theoils blowing around , if youhave a woodstove same effect , i dontadvise holding hte rabbits whilesmoking but if your concerned opena window so fresh aircomes in .

Smoking by animals causes them to haverespiratory problems. My parents smoke so i moved into our basement anddont allow them to smoke if im cleaning and need to take them out ofthe room in their carrier. My dog has respiratory problems from themsmoking, she cant run or anything. We have to carry her everywhere orshe runs out of breath.

wuvbunnies- Awww that's so sad aboutyour dog! I feel so bad for animals...they just have nocontrol over the things around them!

I'd suggest getting an air purifier if you are worried about smoke...

they have relatively small and cheap ones that you can just plug straight into the wall, I have one...it's great!

-Vanessa

** Smoking by animals causes them to haverespiratory problems. My parents smoke so i moved into our basement anddont allow them to smoke if im cleaning and need to take them out ofthe room in their carrier. My dog has respiratory problems from themsmoking, she cant run or anything. We have to carry her everywhere orshe runs out of breath. **

see what happens when animals smoke!

About the time My Kid told meIcouldnt smoke in my own house while Iwaspaying the bills guess what ,

I dont believe its just smoking thatcaused your dog to have resparitoryproblems , It MAY have contributed toit but it isnt thefull cause. Have you hadthe dog vet checked for apulmanary leasion , or maybeeven a tumor in her chest or, had her checked for heartproblems ? I know heart worms cancause respritory problems asyou have described.

Like Vness says get aair purifier,I have themrunning inthe garage andinthe house , IBurn wood , and YesIdo smoke ~! Now beforeanyone goes off on a wildtangent on the dangers ofsmoking let me tell you Ihave heard it all before and NOT tocritcize unless you know whatcircumstances are behind. it .Odd thing is None of myanimals have reperatoryproblems Snakes included andif anything was going to getsick because of smoke theyarethe first onesbothered as well asmy Birds !!

Animals are much more sensitive to smoke and other air pollutants than humans.

Look how humans get cancer from second hand smoke......imagine whatwill happen to our bunnies. Even thecleaning products we use, and the bleach when exposed to the air whenwe clean. It is 10X more potentto their lungs than ours.

Remember how coal miners carried Canaries down into the mine shaftswith them. If the birds died from lack of oxygen orpoisonous gases it was time for the miners to get out.

Rainbows! :)

pet_bunny- good point! I feelbad for the poor donkeys they dragged into those mines...they never sawthe light of day! ::sigh:: I can't even think about it...

I smoked for 23 years. I was naive andsmoked around my kids and my pets. Jeremy who was born with asthma andallergies was bothereed by my smoking. My other two children were not.Apollo has allergies and the smoke doesn't effect him.

I have quit smoking :X:XGRRR It's Hard for two months. Ya knowwhat... Apollo isn't bothered by the lack of smoke either. What I'mtrying to say is being around the smoke didn't kill us. As long asyou're not holding them while smoking I don't see a problem with it. Inever had one.

Tina

The vet came out and bluntly told my parents theyneed to stop smoking because thats why she has problems with breathing.Whenever my parents smoke she weezes so we have to put her up in a roomuntil they are done smoking(which i think is very cruel). Rabbits arealot smaller than any other animals so if a dog can have problems justthink what it can do to rabbits. My dutches are both allergic to smokeand constantly sneeze and have a runny nose if they smell it.

I hate smoking so i dont see it how smokers do. But why do you all getso offensive if someone asks you to put it out? Ive tried for manyyears to get my parents to stop(im allergic to smoke) but they seem notto care and say just to leave the room. Im very lucky in Ohio we havethe new smoke ban but that doesnt stop whats happening at home. I dontdislike smokers or anything but 2 of my family members have died from2nd hand smoke. 1 being a 8month old baby got lung cancer from my auntsmoking while she was still in her. and the 2nd my grandfather dieingfrom my grandmother smoking, he had lung cancer and died at only 58years old. You would think that would open eyes to my family to quitbut it doesnt. The doctor has warned my mother several times to quitbecause of her health, she cant walk up the stairs without taking abreak. Hopefully that justifies why i think smoking is wrong for thesmoker and the people or animals living with smokers.

Also Tina if your having a very hard time to quitsmoking mymom attempted to quit a couple years ago(before my grandfather passed,she started back after he died) the doctor gave her a pill that wasused for soliders who were in war and depressed, after taking the pillthe soliders tried to smoke but got a nasty unpleasent taste and stopedfor good. You should try it if you still have urges to smoke.

**Also Tina if your having a very hard timesmoking my mom attempted to quit a couple years ago(before mygrandfather passed, she started back after he died) the doctor gave hera pill that was used for soliders who were in war and depress, aftertaking the pill the soliders tried to smoke but got a nasty unpleasenttaste and stoped for good. You should try it if you still have urges tosmoke**

unless you have NEVER smokedyou wouldnt know thereare instances where that stuffdoesnt work , YES i have triedit it does not workfor every one , I have tried everything out thereon the market i havespent more than i would havespent smoking tryingto quit . heres a prime example

quit smoking program 30.00 per week mustuse for minimal 6 months do the math, thats the cheapest one on themarket others are much more expensive, yaknow what i am tired of thispost it has gotten way out ofcontrol too many emotions are getting set off, I will make this suggestintho unless your willing to give upsomething you have no control over you reallyshouldnt try to make others dothe same Enough Said!

I am so not strong enough to quit coldturkey. So I went with the patch. It worked only in it took the edgeoff a little. A Really Bizarre Side Effect=I can't stop crying for aweek and then it was PMS on steroids after that. I decided to try it onmy own.

So far so good knock on wood. I'm ok until the big stress stuffand then it's the hardest thing in the world not to light up. I gavebirth naturally so that's saying alot lol. Thank you Gypsy.

Believe it or not it cost me twice as much for the patches aweek than it did a carton of cigarettes...hhmmm...go figure.

Tina

Thats the same thing i was talking about with theoffensiveness. I wont post anymore since this has gotten you so angry.I was just suggesting something, dont get so heated. I was justanswering questions people have asked and suggesting something thatmight work to help someone. Sorry i was being so nice to someone. Ithought this forum was great but i think ill go back to my other forum.It was nice meeting you all Bye.

Don’t any one smoke!!! Smoking is HORRID!My best friend's mother died of lung cancer; it was probably thesaddest thing that has ever happened to me in my WHOLE life! (She waslike my second mother) Smoking not only hurts you but it can hurt yourfamily too. I mean what if you die of some lung disease? I think it isselfish to smoke, because look at what would happen to your family ifyou passed away from lung cancer, it is like saying "I'd rather smoketo fulfill my addiction then think of what would happen to my family ifI died" it just isn’t FAIR!! I really just DONT like the thought of anyone getting sick on this forum :(

~Amy

Amy Hon Breathe !calm down no one is going todie . the thread isdone everyone has made their point ,

My mother died of Lungcancer and she never smoked , my Fathernever smoked and i didnt smoketill i had my ownplace, cancer happenshon we are all born with itin our DNA it justneeds something to activate it , and itsnot necessarily smoking tho i will giveyou it does help toget it started .. butplease calm down . your stuckwith us forever as i planon living well past 200 yrs old !

Iwuvbunbuns72 wrote:
Thats the same thing i was talking about with theoffensiveness. I wont post anymore since this has gotten you so angry.I was just suggesting something, dont get so heated. I was justanswering questions people have asked and suggesting something thatmight work to help someone. Sorry i was being so nice to someone. Ithought this forum was great but i think ill go back to my other forum.It was nice meeting you all Bye.
I'm sorry, I don't see who was getting offensive. Was it me? Ididn't think I was being offensive. If you took it that way I'msorry.

If you feel the need to leave I'm sorry. I wish you the best in all life has to offer.

Tina

Iwuvbunbuns72 wrote:
It was nice meeting you all
Hi Brittany,

Please reconsider you decision.......You have a kind heart and somebeautiful animals. It would be nice for you toshare your stories of the babies Peanut, Nahnee andMalia. Everyone has a difference of opinions, andin a heated discussion, misread posts or mistakes are overblown. I don't let any of those things get tome. Tomorrow is a new day! :)

Gypsy that is a good attitude........living well past 200 years old...:D

Rainbows!:)

No Tina shewasnt talking about you Hon, yourfine, dont take it to heart ,I have very broadshoulders anyone one who knowsme knows this lol

Back