smoking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quit? How many tries did it take you?

• 1-3?

• 4-6?

• 7-9?

• 10-13?

• Still working on it?

• Don't want to quit.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orchid

Reaction score
I have been smoking since I was 12 years old. I am 30 now.
Lasy year my doc did a test that said I had lungs aged to 36 years old.
I have asthma...so does my daughter.

I started taking Chantix about a week and a half ago. I have had side effects...I have been smoking up until yesterday. Though how much dropped a lot...

Woke up today with out any smokes on hand...and I hope I can keep from buying any today. I am hoping today, becomes the first smoke free day of my life and that it stays that way.

This makes like my tenth attempt to quit. :pray:

Good for you! I started smoking when I was 13, have asthma and quit 2.5 years ago when I was 30. I tried many times with the patch, gum, hypnosis, acupuncture-you name it. I finally tried the laser therapy and it worked. It was still hard but I wasn't freaking out like I always did when I tried cold turkey. Good luck and let us know how it's going!

My mother smoked her entire life, and my father and two sisters still do and have most of their lives too. I've never touched a cigarette, so I can't offer any advice. But my partner used to smoke, and he swears the best to way to quit, is to do just that, quit. It's awful for a while, but he doesn't think he could quit anyother way. It's not an easy task but if you hold your ground and think about all the positive things that will come out of you quitting... your health impoved, your childs health improved, more money! :pyou can do it.

Best of luck to you!! :thumbup

I've never been a smoker (tried it... eww), but i say really good on you for wanting t quit. I don't want to be rude but i HATE smoking, and i even more hate people who say 'Oh, i don't care, we're gonna die anyway'.

I'm so happy about the laws they have now that you aren't allowed to smoke in bars, pubs, train platforms etc, but i still don't think its enough. Why should i have to walk down the street having someone puff smoke in my face?

Again, good on you, keep trying. It will make you feel and look so much better.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Keep at it....my dad "quit" many times before he finally stopped for good. He started smoking at age 12, and quit for the last time at age 57. He enjoyed almost 30 years of being smoke-free before he died. The first 6 months are the worst.

On a "scary" note, my brother began smoking at age 12, and smoked 3 packs per day from the time he was about 15 on. He died of lung cancer almost 2 years ago, at the age of 51. My parents were both still living at the time, and went through a horrible time. Please keep trying....don't ever give up....the withdrawal is hard for a while, but the end results are worth it. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Drink a lot of water. Truly helps get the nicotine out of your system faster and it gives you something to do with your hands. I went for ear lasering 12/27/07 and glory be, it worked. I was a close to 30 year smoker. Haven't needed the 'booster' yet. I couldn't take Chantix as I already have serious digestive problems. I did not gain weight. In fact, have lost 28 pounds since 02/08.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suck.

I bombed today. It was hard passing the gas stations headed to the old plae to do laundry, but I held out.
Got there...and got into a confrontation with the land lords daughter. Things are getting worse over there..
I was already in a bad mood...my hands started shaking...and when we left I stopped and bought a pack. I smoked.
What is weird though...is this time I actually feel really bad about it.
Lina said to me, "but mommy, you said you wouldn't smoke today"
I failed...her...again.
Those commercails get to me about smoking...I don't want to die young..I don't want to get cancer...I honestly want to quit...I have tried the gum, patch, cold turkey (which got really scary for all around me)...smoking herbal instead of normal...and now the chantix.

I read some people need higher doses. I am going to call my doc on Monday and see what if anything I can do.

I swear I know I can...it is just when I don't have any litterly free moment from thinking I want to smoke...over n over again till I feel like I am going crazy.

I am going to try to not smoke as much as possible tonight...and start again tomorrow (quitting).

I have gone from 2 packs a day to 1 and now less then 1. I just need to get over this hump...

Thanks all for your support...believe it or not...it helps in lots of ways...
& I did read every post.

I quit both times I was pregnant and started back up like 4 years later and then again when my daughter was a bit older. I dropped the cigarettes cold turkey both times but picked them up thinking they would help me diet or something - I have allergies, asthma and so do my kids...

The last time I put them down, I never looked back. The best way to do it is to put them down, decide they aren't worth it financially, or health wise for you or the child and be done. Find something else to do to occupy your time.

Think very seriously about what the cost is and what you could do with that money. When I quit I think the cigarettes here were about $30 per carton. Now they are something like $50. Even if you only smoke 2 cartons a month, that's $100!!

Good luck - I know it's very hard.

Are there not any free smoking support groups around? I know the NHS has been advertising support groups on TV and i've also seen Boots advertise a stop smoking plan where you talk to a nurse like every week to discuss your progress and they also give you discounts on products like patches etc.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

I've never smoked in my life, but my mum who is 43, started when she was about 11/12, and just gave up 3 weeks ago. If you knew my mum, you'd know thaqt if she can do it, anyone can lol! She's a great person but she's got zero willpower and acts more like a 13 year old rather than 43. I'm so proud of her.

Just remember that you haven't runied your quiting just by smoking for that one day, you can't let that stop you from giviing up. Just a small bump in the road!

I have been an emotional mess for the last two days....personal stuff going on...
Doesn't help any...

Feel like the pills aren't making enough of a difference.
True enough I cut from 2 pack to a half a pack in a week and half....but I am stuck for the moment.

I really am calling the doc tomorrow to see what I can do. Up the pills, use the gum or patch with it...what.
I really do want to quit....
I try talking myself out of every smoke I have and feel guilty every time I have one.

Today has been a horrible day and I know tomorrow will be worse.

I know I can I know I can I know I can I know.....

I would personally just throw out any cigarettes you have, and not buy any.. then they aren't as easily accessed.. just don't go buying more!

So glad you are quitting smoking.. smoking is evil, I've knownof many people who's died from issues caused by smoking. Not worth loosingyour life over a stupid little stick! :D

Keep at it, don't give up!

I have never tried it. 18years ago I lost my great grandma to lung cancer.I am now 25.I watched her suffer and my family fall apart. Most of us took a vow to quit smoking or to never smoke. We have all kept it.

Orchid wrote:
I have been an emotional mess for the last two days....personal stuff going on...
Doesn't help any...

Feel like the pills aren't making enough of a difference.
True enough I cut from 2 pack to a half a pack in a week and half....but I am stuck for the moment.

I really am calling the doc tomorrow to see what I can do. Up the pills, use the gum or patch with it...what.
I really do want to quit....
I try talking myself out of every smoke I have and feel guilty every time I have one.

Today has been a horrible day and I know tomorrow will be worse.

I know I can I know I can I know I can I know.....

Check with your local hospital. Look on line or in their newsletters. Ours has hypnotism sessions for quitters that are 1/3 the private cost. For some it works really well. They usually give educational sessions and then do the hypnosis to 'plant' the no smoking suggestions. The price here is $50 which is what some of the patches at the drug store cost.

Zyban, also known as the anti-depressant Wellbutrin, works really well for some folks. It's cheaper to get it as the generic Wellbutrin. Your doc will know.

There are many methods and yes it's hard because it's an addiction. Hang in there!

Forgot to say when I lived in NC many years ago, it was so easy to soke in public - ECU had big smoking rooms in the library, smoking was in all the restaurants, heck the theatres had ash trays in the arm rests....I don't know if it's still the same but that could add to the difficulty. Try spending more time in smoke-free places if at all possible. Keep your mind and your hands busy - it really helps to be involved in some project so you can forget about a smoke.

Thanks SC...I never thought about hypnotism before....Worth looking into.

NC isn't the same as it was when you were here, but people do smoke everywhere.
Movies and some places to eat are smoke free...but bars, clubs...hell where I work you can light up...

Wellbutrin is a bad idea for me....I had some issues when I took that for depression...at least if I am thinking of the right drug.

I am not giving up. I don't want to die. I don't want to be walking around talking with a little mic to my throat or any other horrible thing that can happen.
Made a promise to Lina I would always be here...and I would like to keep it for as long as I can.
They warned me when I was younger if I didn't quit I would end up walking around with an o2 tank on my back by the time I was 25. I am 30 now and don't want to push my luck any further.

This worked for a friend not sure if it will for you or not. She sat down and figured out the cost per cigarette. Everytime she felt the need to smoke she'd suck on an ice cube and throw that amount of change in a jar. She did this for probably 6 months. At the end of the time when she knew she was over the hump and not going to go back she took that money cashed it in and treated herself to a day at the spa. Had enough money to do the total works. I do believe she reached a point where she was not craving the cigarettes but was still throwing the money in just as if she had been still smoking full blast. It gave her something to think about and dream about. She also swore by the tootsie roll pop mini suckers and the dum dum suckers. They were only a few calories each and helped a bit also

I've heard that Chantix gives you crazy nightmares, which is why my bf won't take it (I don't smoke). Did you have that problem?:?

I've never smoked, so have never tried to quit...though I can imagine it must be a terribly hard addiction to overcome. I recall years ago someone jokingly saying that the best incentive to quit smoking was to visit a cancer ward at a hospital, where people have had chemo, radiation, surgery, etc. for oral or lung cancer. And y'know, maybe that offhanded remark isn't that off the mark. I've never smoked and rarely drink alcohol, but did wind up with oral cancer (all of the doctors were amazed when they saw me; they kept saying, "Are you SURE you never smoked?", as it is the main cause of oral and lung cancer...they see it time after time after time in long-term smokers). And I can tell ya, the treatments are something no one would wish on their worst enemy.

Even just scanning the internet and looking up pics of post-treatment cancer patients - the severe cases - might be a great deterrent...:?

My mom was 9 yrs old when she started and she quit a year and half ago. She will be turning 57. That tells ya how long she smoked. Docs are very shocked that her lungs are crystal clear.

I am glad you are quitting, you can do it.

My hubby quit cold turkey when I met him almost 8 yrs ago. I told him it is either me or the cigs. so he finished the pack off and quit.

Back