Smokey gets neutered tomorrow!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharfly

Reaction score
Smokey goes in for his neuter tomorrow (yay) This is my first rabbit surgery ever so I was hoping you all had some tips too help him recover and heal faster!

I am going too move him into my large dog kennel with no shelf, dont want him jumping too much. I use pine pellets in his litter box, I was thinking of using shreaded newspaper for a few days.

Anyone have any tips that will help get eating again and back too himself faster?

Thanks I am excited too get him done no more stressing that him and Nova willescape and have a romantic evening lol!

Okay, first and formost please, please get rid of the pine pellets. They secrete an oil that is poisonous to rabbits and can cause them liver and kidney failure. We lost a rabbit for that reason about 5 years ago and so did several rabbit house societies. They have a warning out on them. Use recycled paper litter with a layer on hay on top.
Don't stop the food before you take him to the vet, rabbits cannot vomit so there is no need to stop. Stay with him just as long as possible to reassure him that everything will be alright. My vet lets me stay until they are given the presurgery sedative. Take some pellets and hay with you that he is used to and put it in his cage at the vets. As them for some painkillers for post surgery. Not all male rabbits require them, but if he is in pain you want them available. After surgery offer him fresh food, treats and hay. He will probably be bouncing around in no time. He can run around a bit after 12-24 hours, just make sure for the first day or two he is not jumping off of shelving. If he is a cuddler, snuggle him as it is reassuring to have human contact. Ours sleep in our bedroom, but if you are worried put his cage in there the first night or two. Be careful as having him in your bedroom is addictive not only for you but him. That is basically it. Good luck.

gmas rabbit wrote:
Okay, first and formost please, please get rid of the pine pellets. They secrete an oil that is poisonous to rabbits and can cause them liver and kidney failure. We lost a rabbit for that reason about 5 years ago and so did several rabbit house societies. They have a warning out on them. Use recycled paper litter with a layer on hay on top.

I thought that was only the pine SHAVINGS. Are the compressed sawdust pellets not okay? :?

Everything I have heard is the pellets are baked in a kiln and that removes the Phenol oils that cause the liver damage. I only use 2-3 handfuls of the pellets in the corner of the litter boxes to absorb the moisture, the rest of the box is filled with hay.
I read a study once on the effects of cedar on lab rats and the findings in a short time where heart breaking, lung scaring, liver damage, cronic ashma and this was over a one month time period. I wish a study could be done on pine. Pine and cedar do both contain phenol oils, cedar has a higher concentration though.

Ok so my rabbit was spayed and we had to fly her out to another town to get it done and she was fine so I know smoky will do great! Here are some tips:
-don't starve him before surgery to prevent GI stasis.
- have some of his favorite foods ready for when he comes home forna special treat!
- he may be drowsy when he comes home but this is normal
- ask the vet for pain meds for the next couple days
- he might have to wear a cone for a few days depending on the vet ( my rabbit did) if he does make sure he gets food and water fed to him because the cone makes it hard to eat from bowls.
- if he doesn't have to wear a cone watch him carefully so he doesn't bite/scratch at an incision.
- check his incision every day to watch for anything abnormal ( redness,incision is hot, bleeding,) if this happens take him to a vet!

Neutering is a relitively simple procedure so he should be fine. Good luck! :) keep us updated!

Thanks :) I just dropped him off and he will be ready to pick up at 5:30, so 7.5 hours too stress and worry! lol

He is home now :) I got him too eat a bit of banana and he nibbled on a piece of grass. I will see if I can get him too eat more when he is a bit more awake :)

We just had our rabbit neutered, and he has caused nightmares..
So just make sure you check his wound multiple times a day! We caught him chewing on the stitches about 12 hours after surgery and he ripped some out. Had to get him glued back up and now he has to wear an e-collar as without it he gets down there every 5 min or so to chew at it!

He even had adequate pain relief and anti inflammatory.

Don't want to scare you, we hear that it is not that common that males shew their wounds. Just make sure in the beginning especially, you check the wound frequently. Don't want poor bunny to go through the stress and your wallet doesn't need the stress of more vet bills!

As everyone else has said, make sure he is eating and drinking fine. It took Winston a few days to get back to 100% normal eating habits, but the first two days he was eating when prompted.

Thanks :) This morning Smokey ate his pellets for the first time and he is pooing good now. His wound looks nice and clean, doesnt look like he has been licking down there. As stressfull as his neuter was his girl friend Nova is getting spayed this fall! lol I made it through a neuter now to make it through a spay :)

Kashi had an abdominal neuter, as he was a cryptorchid male. Of course, at the time, I thought I was dropping off CHLOE for a SPAY surgery.....

He didn't eat or poo for almost 20 hours after the surgery and almost gave me a heart attack. He started eating again after his second dose of metacam and pooped shortly after, so that wasn't too bad. HOWEVER....a week after the surgery I was attempting to check his incision and realized it looked puckered and wrinkly. Almost had a panic attack, and rushed him to Dr. Stanzione thinking his abdomen was just like open. I got to the office and Dr. Stanzione took one look at him and told me that he'd simply licked the surgical glue off of the incision which made it look weird. Kashi also managed to ignore the fact that I blocked off the two upper levels of his cage and made a stunning, 3 ft. vertical leap onto his top shelf, where I found him chillaxing the next morning. :rollseyes

LOL they love too stress us out! Smokey is sure active today! I moved his cage near Nova's so they can see each other and start too bond :)
Smokeys first real poo was in the water dish and his first pee was in the food dish! LOL I love that bunny!!

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Just a quick note. Kiln dried pine is alright to use--the drying removes the phenols, but never use Cedar--that's right from our Vet. Have used Kiln dried pine and shredded newspaper for almost ten years with no problems.

Yep that is what I have heard too. If you smell the pine shavings and if they smell like pinesole(which uses the phenol oil) then don't use them. If they have no smell then they are safe.

Cedar contains a different type of phenol oil and that can cause liver damage, chroinc ashma and lung scaring.

Dustiechick wrote:
Ok so my rabbit was spayed and we had to fly her out to another town to get it done and she was fine so I know smoky will do great! Here are some tips:
-don't starve him before surgery to prevent GI stasis.
- have some of his favorite foods ready for when he comes home forna special treat!
- he may be drowsy when he comes home but this is normal
- ask the vet for pain meds for the next couple days
- he might have to wear a cone for a few days depending on the vet ( my rabbit did) if he does make sure he gets food and water fed to him because the cone makes it hard to eat from bowls.
- if he doesn't have to wear a cone watch him carefully so he doesn't bite/scratch at an incision.
- check his incision every day to watch for anything abnormal ( redness,incision is hot, bleeding,) if this happens take him to a vet!

Neutering is a relitively simple procedure so he should be fine. Good luck! :) keep us updated!
All of this good stuff! I brought him his water bottle and favorite greens. I gave them to the vet for when he would be under observation and kept them with him when he was on the ride home. Neutering drugs = bunny munchies. He may need a few days of cage time to make sure he doesn't open anything up.

Back