smallest breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have an ARBA handbook handy? Ithink Polish may be the smallest, but Netherland Dwarfs are if not thesmallest, a close second. Check out the ARBA website for picsof all the accepted breeds and links to breed specialty clubs with moreinfo:
http://www.arba.net/photo.htm

There are no vaccinations available in the US for rabbits.Although a vet in my area who doesn't have a clue has been givingrabbits rabies shots. There's no point because they're notcarriers.

Polish are smaller than NDs, but my memory isn'tthe best so far as what breed is indeed the smallest. Dwarf hotots...Idon't know what their desired weights are, but they are fairly small aswell, I believe(?). I have an ARBA handbook, but it's at home (and I'mnot)...and it is pretty old and out of date now.

Pam would definitely know...

If polish are smaller than NDs...wow.

Edit for info

I would say about the same size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherland_dwarf_rabbit

The Netherland Dwarf is a popularbreedofdomesticrabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Smaller thanmostrabbitbreeds, Netherland dwarf rabbits weigh 1 to 3lb(0.5 to 1.4 kg) and are usually kept aspetsor exhibition animals. They are not typically used as sources ofmeatorfurbecause their small size makes them inefficient for these purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rabbit_breeds

Polish

First bred in Holland. A small rabbit of about 3 pounds. The red-eyedwhite (known as REW) is the most common, but they are recognized in theblack, blue, chocolate, and BEW (blue-eyed white) varieties. They canalso be of the broken variety. The English Polish rabbit has onlyrecently been introduced into the USA, it has a separate classificationand is called the Britannia Petite. Varieties: Black, Blue, Broken,Chocolate, BEW, and REW Showroom Classification: 4 Class Breed, SeniorWeights Ideal Bucks and Does 2-1 1/2 lbs

General Description:

The body is to be small, compact, and close coupled with well roundedhips that are wider than the shoulders. The body top line should risegradually from the nape of neck to its highest point at the center ofthe hips and then fall in a smooth curve to the base of the tail. Thefur is short, fine, and dense with a flyback coat. The head is mediumfull and short, with full cheeks. When viewed from the side, thereshould be a slight curve in the skull from the base of the ears towardthe nose, with a slight roundness between the eyes.

I might have the two mixed up, Jade...it'spossible the ND is smaller than the Polish. It's been a long time sinceI knew the allowed weights, but was thinking that the Polish weresmaller. I do believe they are within a half-pound of each other, asfar as allowable weights go(though could be wrong theretoo...LOL).

from the sounds of it the weights they can run are about the same.

Unfortunately the ARBA does not let websitespost their standards anymore, so I'm not sure about the Nethie weightstandards. I think they might have to be 2 lbs to be shown,although I'm not sure. Before the ARBA changed their polices,I saved a Polish breed description because Mocha is most likelyPolish. It described them as being 1-2.5 pounds, often 2.5pounds at mature weight.

Teresa is 2.30# Pure ND. She has a chunky butt.

The sprightlyBritannia Petite isactually the smallest breed - but with a BIG personality LOLThey are much finer boned than the Netherland Dwarfs, although bothbreeds have the same maximum show weight (2 1/2 pounds).

The Polish are the "heavy weights" weighing in at a maximum 3 1/2 pounds.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
ThesprightlyBritannia Petite is actually the smallest breed -but with a BIG personality LOL They are much finer boned thanthe Netherland Dwarfs, although both breeds have the same maximum showweight (2 1/2 pounds).

Pam
I have to see these breeds. I want to see the itty bitty bunny!

JadeIcing wrote:
pamnock wrote:
ThesprightlyBritannia Petite is actually the smallest breed -but with a BIG personality LOL They are much finer boned thanthe Netherland Dwarfs, although both breeds have the same maximum showweight (2 1/2 pounds).

Pam
I have to see these breeds. I want to seethe itty bitty bunny!
My bunny Beans is half brit petite

naturestee wrote:
Before the ARBA changed their polices, Isaved a Polish breed description because Mocha is most likelyPolish. It described them as being 1-2.5 pounds, often 2.5pounds at mature weight.

There has been no change in ARBA policies - the breed Standards havealways been copyright protected. Violators are asked toremove ARBA copyright information from their publications.

Pam

Latest posts

Back