Small animal auctions, a rant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah... forgot to mention the ear mite meds for cats... depends on the ingredients, but here's some info on that:

Generic Name
Rotenone, Pyrethrins

Brand Names
Rotenone: Ear Mitecide, Ear Mite Lotion, Ear Miticide

Pyrethrins: Cerumite, Mita-Clear, Drs. Foster and Smith Miticide, Nolvamite

Type of Drug
Insecticide

Form and Storage
Drops and lotion
Store at room temperature.

Indications for Use
Treatment of ear mites in dogs, cats, and rabbits.

General Information
FDA approved for use in treating ear mites in dogs and cats. Rotenone is also approved for use inrabbits. Available by prescription and over the counter. Ear mites are passed from one infested animal to another through close enough contact that the mite has time to crawl from one to the other such as from a mother dog or cat and to her offspring. Typically, ears infested with ear mites have a dark waxy, flaky debris in them, similar to coffee grounds. Both ears are usually affected. The mites can be easily seen under a microscope at low power. Once the mites are gone, they will not recur unless the pet is exposed to another animal with them again (such as a new puppy or kitten in the house).

Usual Dose and Administration
It is essential to clean ears before applying the medication. Apply amount of drops or lotion according to label. Massage in well and wipe excess from the flap and inside of the ear. Repeat every 2-3 days for4-8 weeks. Note that this may be a longer period of treatment than that described on the label, but it has been found that to treat less often or for a shorter time period, the mites may not be eliminated. Other medications such as ivermectin injections have been shown to treat ear mites and have frequently been used, although ivermectin has not been FDA-approved for this use. Contact your veterinarian if you have difficulty treating your pet or you have a large number of pets to treat.

Side Effects
Unlikely. May see skin irritation. Cats may drool when ears are cleaned.

Contraindications/Warnings
Not for use in patients hypersensitive (allergic) to the drug.

All types may not be for use in patients less than 7 weeks of age. Readthe labels. Contact your veterinarian before treating young animals.

Need to treat all the dogs, cats, and rabbits in the house at the same time, or they will reinfest each other again.

If poor response to treatment or the symptoms recur, it may be an earinfection and not mites or an ear infection in addition to mites.Contact your veterinarian.

May be toxic to fish and other aquatic life. Dispose of container properly.

If medication comes in contact with pet's eyes, flush eyes thoroughly and contact your veterinarian.

Drug or Food Interactions
Unlikely to have drug or food interactions.

If using a topical ear antibiotic also,separate treatments by several hours to allow the first medication time to work before it is removed during application of second product.

Overdose/Toxicity
Unlikely with the ear drops or lotion.

I'm going to link two Rabbit Health References threads so you can find them easier:

Fur Mites
Ear Mites

I've heard of fur mites being treated with Listerine. It's messy and it would need multiple applications, but you could try it for now until you can get her to a vet.

And a couple of other articles that might help. It's hard to tell what it might be from this end of the computer.;)

Fur Loss and Skin Problems in Rabbits
Ringworm FAQ(rabbits can be treated with Program, again be careful with her poorcondition and pregnancy)

Hope that helps a bit.

Wow, I am just seeing this.My friend raises Rex and when they molt, they lose their fur inpatches. Looks like someone plucks it from them in no particular pattern. Could be from molt. It is not unheard of that a mother will pluck ALL her fur to make a nest. Happen to me once.

However, since you got this rabbit from an outside source and don't know the history or person who had her before you, I would take her tothe vet or in the very least keep her away from your other animals. Like Pam said, could be fungus too.

Sharon

Thanks, everybody for the links and info. The home remedies thing about mixing apple cider vinegar and olive oil sounds like it would be perfect, I have both of those things on hand.How much of what do I use, though? All my rabbits already get acv in their drinking water.
I have Charity separated from all my other rabbits, and always handle/feed her after all the others are done. I didn't know about mites possibly coming in in the litter you use, though.
I am planning on taking her to the vet, but I have to wait to get paid first, have no moola right now.

There's a livestock auction, probably around 20 minutes away from my house.. I stopped going there. My cousin works there, but hates it. She has probably rescued maybe around 15-20 rabbits that were almost dead like Charity. Sometimes if the owners can't make it on saturday, they drop the rabbits off On Friday and they spend the night in cramped cages, with no food or water. It's sickening.

One of the does she rescued had lots of fur loss like Charity, and my cousin thinks because she was to the point where she was so starved, she started trying to eat her own fur.

Poor souls.. Just shows how little respect some disgrace full humans have for such innocent creatures.

I hope she recovers well:pray:

pamnock wrote:
Shepro bably pulled a lot of it out from the previous litter.Could be fur mites, fungal infection, bacterial, molt, parasites, nutritional deficiencyor genetic.

Best bet is to get her to a vet to rule out a fungal infection that could spread to you or other rabbits.

Nutri-Cal would give her a much needed calorie boost.

Pam
Ditto.

One of my Rex does kindled on Sunday & she plucked herself BALD... She plucked quite a bit more than the pictures of your girllook.

The only advice I'd give on her condition is be careful how much & what you feed her... if she doesn't miscarry the litter, you don't want her to have difficulties kindling due to fat buildup.

I hope she does well & I'm glad to hear she's found herself a great home.

~Sunshine

She is definalty doing much better. She seems to have filled out slightly just in the week I have had her. I have been trying to feed her several small meals a day rather than the two larger ones that my buns regularly get. My feeding schedule is this: am, hay and pellets, pm, greens and or veggies. I have been giving her a little extra hay in the middle of the day, and a smidge of pellets if she has cleaned up what I gave her first.
I haven't had the chance to get her to the vet, just got my pay today, but her fur is getting thicker,and that is giving me high hopes that the fur loss was from malnutrition. Her feet are doing worlds better, I was actually stunned what putting on a little Neosporin and putting her on a solid floor acomplished in a week.
I will be getting her in for a checkup as soon as I can, and once I can confirm whether or not she is actually pregnant I will see about getting her spayed. Because even if for some reason I decided to find her another home, I don't want anyone to ever be able to use her as a bunny factory again. It still boggles my mind that someone would breed her in that condition, purely to try and get an extra buck off her at the sale. I saw the people that brought her in, but didn't notice heron the cart at the time. I wish I had, I would have torn them a new one!

Hi,

I deffinetly think the hair loss is from her litter. I just had a doe that pulled TONS of fur, looked just like your doe.

Give it a while if will most likely grow back, hopfully before her next litter!

Well good luck!

Her fur is coming back in, so it could be you're right. I tried to palpate her, to see if she really was pregnant, but she was so tense I had a hard time telling. Does anyone else have problems with their does getting very cranky when they are bred? Charity is very grouchy. I am allowed to reach into her cage as far as the feed dishes, which are right in the front, but if I try to touch her or reach into the cage itself, I get scratched! She has never offered to bite, she just lunges at me and scratches with her front feet. She hardly ever growls, just the lunge and scratch. I'm not sure if she is just feeling territorial because she is pregnant, or what.

I've had does react like that both when they're bred (and palpated positive) and when they really, really want to breed badly... but for one reason or anotherI have not given them the opportunity at that time.

I think it's best to play it safe and just assume she is pregnant...that way if she does kindle, you've already prepared for them and done everything necessary for her. If she doesn't kindle within 34days from first acquiring her... then it would be safe enough to say that she didn't take - that is if she waseven bred in the first place.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back