Small and almost colorless babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitGirl321

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, feel free to move to a different forum if needed!

So, I don't know what possessed me to go out to the rabbit's barn at almost 11:30 at night, but I went out just now and my harlequin doe had 6 babies. Never had a doe go 3 days early until now! They seem really small though, like the size of my polish newborns, don't seem to have much color either even though neither parent is lacking in color. Any thoughts on this? Do you think something is wrong? They're squirming around, acting just fine, just really small and practically no color, seemed really odd...

I've never had early babies so I don't really know. But do you know if the parents might be hiding REW (ruby eyed white) in their background so babies could turn out white?

I've never heard of a ruby-eyed white harlequin before, so I highly doubt that. I'm wondering though if maybe they didn't all end up chocolate, which would really surprise me since the dad is black, but I always have a hard time seeing the markings on newborn chocolates. Still don't get why they're the size - maybe even smaller, then my newborn polish though. They almost remind me of peanuts, but not so deformed looking, but since they aren't one of the small breeds... I really don't know.

I would suspect that both things are due to them being born so early and short of being fully developed. Considering that gestation for rabbits is only 30 days, being born a few days early can be quite significant in how it affects the babies development. Just like a few days late can mean they come out furred and larger. As long as they manage to nurse alright, they likely will catch up fine.

I agree with JBun. They're lack of development could certainly be due to being born early. Baby rabbits develop so quick that I'm sure in a couple of days they will look normal again. Hopefully you get some nicely marked ones. Definitely make sure mom is feeding them!

Alright, thank you both! I suspected that was all, but I wasn't sure. They're still doing fine today, don't act any different then other newborn kits, just look it. I noticed if I look really closely I can *kind of* see some of the markings on them, l and I think 1 of them already has darker markings today. Thanks woah, I hope some of nicely marked too haha! I think 2 have good face splits but it's hard to really tell. :)

I would love to see photos when photos, they sound so cute :)

Will do! :)

Also... I went out this morning before leaving to pick up rabbit food, and one of the babies was on the ground half eaten... so I look to check and see how the remaining 5 are doing, only there wasn't 5... there was 8! I wasn't missing 1, I gained 2! Apparently my doe had 3 more babies sometime over night, making for 8 living babies and 9 counting the one who didn't make it. I wonder now if this didn't have something to do with the size of them, 9 babies for a first timer seems like a lot, especially when my other doe had 6 her first time and 7 the other 2 times haha.

Wow 9! That's interesting. I read that if rabbits are carrying only one or two babies they hold them in for longer, until they grow to take up the full capacity of the uteris (which can lead to big kits that get stuck so not good) So anyway, I think you are right, maybe if there are 9, more than they can hold in their uterus, they have them prematurely.

I just want to say thanks again for all the comments, and also to post a link to an album with a picture of each baby since squidpop said they'd like to see pictures haha! ;)

Sadly we lost 2 more of the babies, but the remaining 6 are doing great! This is the best litter I've had so far too, I'm having a really hard time choosing only 1 to keep... may end up keeping 2 or 3 of them lol!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/photo/albums/baby-harlequins-1140.html
^Link to pictures!

I looked at the pictures of the babies and OMG, Harlequin magpies! What beautiful markings on every single one of them! If my rabbits had babies with those markings I would be over the moon!

Latest posts

Back