Slippery floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theilian

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought two 6x9 vinyl flooring and arranged them on top of the carpet to protect the latter.

My room looks nicer, but I think my girls find it too slippery. Theyare moving okay, but a number of times they slid a little bit.

Is this bad for rabbits? For those who have wood or vinyl flooring, how do you cope?

(Not the picture of vinyl BTW)

Good question, I had hardwood floors and tileback in Taiwan and Jaden was constantly doing the slip and slide on thetile (here she has carpet and is a binky QUEEN-I get the back feet flipat me when she is in trouble) so I am curious as to the answer's yougenerate in response to the danger of tile.

Since the only foreseeable one I could think of is slipping and breaking a leg (on the far extreme of the spectrum of course)

/bump

Cher

Only if the rabbit doesn't chew it. Iwouldn't want any type of rug in with Bo in his cage or when I am notwatching him. Recently, one of the people here had no idea her bunnyhad been chewing carpet under her bed. The bunny passed awaydue to the ingestion.

Pier one has natural grass mats (like entry way mats) that might work, they are also large so it might work for you.

The slippery floor is not ideal, and they aremore prone to injury on it. Could you try some ofthe "artificial turf" type indoor-outdoor carpet to protect yourrug? (just watch so they don't chew on it -- however, itwould pass through the GI system better than the nylon from the carpet,so is a little safer).

Pam

My bunny finds laminade floors too slippery andbeing very cautious he just avoids going on them at all. I put a towelin front of his cage and he hops on that.

Don't mind what I say too much, since we'recompletely new at this, but Stanley's mommy has a vinyl floor in herroom. He slipped a lot the first day, but then he got used to it. Hedid like to jump and flip around on the two rugs she had, kinda likethe happy dance, but once he tried to chew them we took them up and hehas no more carpet.

We are going to try and find some of those seagrass mats the others spoke of to put in his new cage, though.

Here's a pic with his old rug and you can see part of the floor:

stanleyrug.jpg

I always avoid putting my buns in a room withslippery floor. I rent in London and have just moved, I desperatelytried to find a flat without laminate flooring but with no luck (itsVERY trendy) so have bought vast amounts of rugs/carpet and tried tocover every bit of wood up. There are the odd bits of laminate flooringstill showing and the buns treat it like a 'sea' and won't cross itunless they really need to.

In my previous flat I had lino on the kitchen floor, my little girlbunny ran in there and skidded really hard one day - she bashed herselfup the unit - next day one of her forelimbs was horribly swollen and wetook a trip to the vet. She had to be anaesthetised so they could xrayit. Turned out she'd bruised the joint really badly and had aninfection in it. Thankfully she didn't break it but it wasn't at allpleasant. I immediately bought a baby/bunny gate for the kitchen!

Go buy an extra bit of carpet to protect the other carpet instead!

Bev

Bo doesn't enter the kitchen because it's whitelinoleum. That's fine with me! lol. The rest of thehouse is hardwood except the livingroom which is carpet. Hewill go in any of those rooms..... I think the linoleum scares himbecause I put him on it when I first got him and he slipped around LOL!

well Chernish is scared to go anywhere beside his towel and material around his cage, which is great for me.

I bought a king-sized quilt yesterday, and it got big thumps up from my babies. :)They binkied around quite happily.

I think quilt is a good idea- it's cheaper than rugs, there'snothing much to chew on, and it's thick enough to protect carpet yetit's flat enough to be a mat. Most of all, my girls seem to like it.

Over the years I suspect our house bunnies didnot "like" the tiled floor, but when that was their only option duringfree time, they adjusted and got used to. We see more binkieswith carpet now, but run other risks like ingestion of same and peeingon the rug, as our new house bunny Ernestine recently did.

Buck

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Floor? sunnyside? All I see is an adorable bunny butt!!!!!!!! :p

Haha, bunny butts sure are cute, aren't they? (you were kidding about the floor, right?

I have to have Lenci and Iszy on the tile floorbecause they chew up anything else that I put in there. Theydon't seem to mind the tile floor. I think they actuallyprefer it because it's cold. After awhile they get the hangof how to navigate on it too.

Back