Slightly Tilt Head and Nystagmus Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The anti-inflammatory was probably meloxicam. Tylenol is not safe for rabbits. I can't tell what the antibiotic is. However, the confident tone of the new vet is good, I think. Also, injectible antibiotics are often better in rabbits because they have fewer GI side effects.

Trixone is a 3rd generation cephalosporin that is not made in US ...should be fine as long as it is injected. I agree that this vet sounds more than promising :)

Maxie received his jabs at 3.30pm yesterday.
No rolling from 7.30pm-12midnite.
He flopped a few times from 12 midnite-12 noon today, but the flopping and rolling were not as bad as previously.

He started flopping non-stop again since 1pm today. We are on the way to received the 2nd day injections (It is 4.30pm here). We'll be back in a few hours and will update on Maxie again.

Last edited:
hi guys. updating on maxie again.
he was rolling and twisting over and over again yesterday afternoon, just like the previous days before he took the 1st day jabs. i took him to the vet for his 2nd day jab on yesterday evening. he rolled and twisted along the journey. we stuck in traffic jam. 2 hours journey became 5 hours!
he is now resting is his flopping position. rolling and twisting occasionally.

IMG_7375.jpg

IMG_7379.jpg

we have to repeat those jabs the alternate day (on sunday)
** correction, one of the jab is not tylanol. the jabs are:
- trixone the antibiotic
- tolfine
- prednikel 01 (presnisone??)

i am not familiar with any of those jabs. but i hope it safe and works on maxie

I tried meclizine once, but it seemed didnt work on Maxie. But do u guys think it worth to try again? Is there any side effect if taken under those new jabs?

Tolfine is a non steroidal, analgesic anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic drug so it is covering a lot of bases. Predni-Kel is a steroid called dexamethasome.
I am not sure whether you can use meclizine with these drugs. Meclizine is an over the counter drug but I am unsure whether there would be interactions. Could you run that by the vet ?
I so hope that Maxie improves. :)

If meclizine doesn't help I have heard of using valium for anti-vertigo effect (which is basically what's causing the flopping and rolling). Adding a lot of meds at once is of course riskier so it is important to see what your vet has to say.

Hopefully this new vet will be able to help your rabbit. I don't know that I would stop the fenbendazole. If there is a possibility that this is being caused by EC, none of the other meds would affect the parasite. I would be more inclined to just continue with the fenbendazole just in case it's EC, and if it's not EC, it's a pretty safe med and shouldn't cause any harm to your rabbit. But I know that this is something you have to decide between you and your vet.

I gave him Meclizine 7.5mg 12 hours ago, but i dont see any different on his vertigo.

Maxie reduced his food and water intake after received the 2nd injection yesterday (It has been 36 hours since he received the 2nd day injection).
And he hasnt urinate since 18 hours ago. We will see the vet tomorrow for his 3rd jab.

Vet in malaysia do not believe on E.cuniculi. The treatment given to headtilt here normally for inner ear infection. And he is the type that would read articles i printed out or listen to other opinion :(

Correction,
Vets in malaysia do not believe on E.cuniculi. The treatment given to headtilt rabbit here normally referred to inner ear infection. And he is the NOT type that would read articles i printed out or listen to other opinion, esp from internet.

If he isn't eating and drinking enough, you'll need to syringe feed him food and water, so he doesn't get dehydrated and even more sick from not getting enough food. Not peeing for that long isn't very good. He needs to stay hydrated.

Yes, the treatment for EC with fenbendazole is 28 days.

I have started the fenbendazole for about 8 days and stopped soon after we get the jabs? So i have to start again from Day 1 Fenbendazole to day 28, am i correct?

Several years ago I noticed that my 9 yr old bun , Joey, began to have balance issues. They were slight but I immediately took him to my vet. On examination there was absolutely nothing that indicated an inner ear infection. I wanted to do an EC titer or treat for EC but my vet felt quite sure that this was an inner ear infection. I listened to her and Joey was treated with oral baytil and sub q bicillin for several months. My vet was correct and Joey made a total recovery; his infection never reached the brain but I did catch this early.
If you have found a vet that you believe is knowledgeable and Maxie is showing some improvement I would not start drugs on your own.

If you restart the fenbendazole your vet needs to know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noted your post stating that vets in Malayasia do not believe in EC and that your vet is not open to discussion.
I still believe that if Maxie is making some improvement that you should wait awhile before considering the use of previous drugs.

HELP!
i gave my rabbit REGLAN before notice he has a gurgling tummy!
It is 5am in Malaysia and i dont know what to do know.
I have Simethicone and Benebac. When should i use them? I shouldn't be given together with Reglan rite?

PLEASE HELP.
he is not eating n drinking by himself since yesterday. i have force feed him with critical care 5 hours ago. he is twisting n rolling a lot, so i tried not to touch him or else he will keep rolling. just now i realised his stool became very small so i tot giving reglan will bring his gut moving.

but when i lay down by himself and put my ears close to him tummy, i heard gurgling. i tot his tummy is a bit distended bcoz he is not peeing since yesterday.

I am not an expert, only know what I have read here. It sounds to me that your bun needs to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet. If his stomach is distended it could be bloat which is serious.

The vet is only open in the next 5 hours :(

I believe i have given him enough water and feed him critical care, but he hasnt pee and the stool become very small :(

As far as I know you can give simethicone even with the reglan; simethicone is not absorbed by the body but jus tbreaks down gas bubbles.
I agree that your rabbit need fluids ;is there anyway that you could go to any vet who could give you the equipment to do it yourself. It would be a bag of lactated ringers solution , tubing and needles for sub q injection.

Latest posts

Back