sleeping w/ eyes open?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petalfuzz

Reaction score
I am new to being a bunny mommy, so be gentle w/ me.

My dutch Chestnut (Chessie) seems to sleep with her eyes open. She'll be crouched in a ball, but still relaxed. Ears back, but eyes wide open. If I walk by her, she'll start out of it, like she'd been asleep. This seems to be her preferred way of sleeping (during the day is only what I've observed).

My question is: do any other bunnies do this? Is this actual sleep, or is she in a trance? Is she resting but still keeping a look out? Hmmm.

Many rabbits sleep with their eyes open. I've had Scooter 4 years and have never seen her with her eyes closed. I can usually tell she is sleeping when her nose stops twitching. Sparky occasionally closes her eyes, but usually hers are open too.

My bunnies range from total deep sleep where you can poke and touch them with out waking up (Baxter) to sleeping with at least one eye open.

Baxter conks out in such a deep sleep. He normally lies on his side and closes both eyes and snores away into oblivion. I have been able to pet him when he's asleep with out him waking up.

Zeke will mainly sleep in a bunny loaf position or stretched all the way out on his tummy. While he still stays all relaxed and sleepy, he knows when I'm there and if I do something unexpected, he'll get up immediately. But he trust me very much, so most of the time he just stays put and just opens his eyes more when I visit.

Sugar and Sekura like to use each other as mattresses and will sleep on top of each other. But they are very alert, and will wake up as soon as I get to the cage. They normally won't move, but will be more alert until I go away.

Coal and Ruby sleep on their sides normally squished up into each other. They are still pretty new to my house hold, so they are the most wary. They will normally get up out of their sleeping position when I go to their cage.

So, all bunnies have different sleep habits. Some will never let you catch them with closed eyes while some don't have a care in the world. You may find that your bunny's sleeping habits will change over time as she adjusts to life with you.

--Dawn

Thank you for your quick replies! I appreciate knowing Chessie is perfectly normal.

She seems to be very happy, and loves getting petted on her forehead.

Mine sleep with their eyes open as well. I can tell mine are sleeping when I look closely and they're completely still and their noses aren't moving. Sometimes they also bob back and fourth a little!! :p

Back