Skyler's peeing excessively and has a soaked butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they couldn't have made it a more appetizing flavor. Last time it was fruit flavored. Rory still hated it, but at least it smelled better! I get the feeling it's going to be really hard to give him the meds tonight because he knows what to expect, and he's going to be mad at me for about two months :( Do you remember his bout with stasis back in April? He wanted nothing to do with me until September! He just doesn't understand that I'm helping him, and I can't blame him for being mad at me.

Good news is that Rory hasn't had any tinkle accidents in several days! I'm not 100% certain he has a UTI though, since he would pee on the second level of his cage a few times in varying amounts, then not for a week and then do it again. I kind of wish now that they'd tested his urine too. I hope we're not giving him antibiotics for no reason.

Also, Rory has decided he likes the beef antibiotics too. My mind is boggled. I haven't even had to take them out of their cages to give them their meds because they'll take it from the syringe.

Ha! Strange that he likes the beef! I'm glad he's doing better. It's not good to give antibiotics for no reason, of course, but I guess you should just follow out the course of antibiotics. A 2 week course is good to make sure it's gone.

The two dudes are still liking their medicine. Skyler doesn't have web bottom anymore either and Rory hasn't peed outside his box! Skyler's still peeing outside his box but like I said, I'm not sure how much that's due to the UTI since he's never been that great with the litter box.

I am worried about Skyler though because he's lost weight. The vet said he feels like a good weight now though- he was chubby before. He weighed 3.3 pounds last Wednesday. I've been trying to help him slowly lose weight for the past couple months so it could just be that him trimming down is happening at the same time as the UTI. His poop is normal and his appetite is ravenous, as usual. They give us so much to worry about!

Hmm, Skyler's ears feel hot to me too. The rest of him feels fine. He's been running around the living room and maybe that's why they feel hot... Phoebe's ears get hot from running around sometimes.

That makes sense. An infection will also give you a fever, but you have to take that with a thermometer. If they're not terrible, I wouldn't worry--just assume it's the antibiotic and immune system doing their work.

Thanks for the reassurance, Claire! I'll be keeping an eye on my boy for sure. He seems perfectly chipper. Last night I gave him about half a teaspoon of oats and he hoovered them down. I hope he gains a little weight so I don't have to worry about him. I honestly think he's losing weight because of being sick, I didn't cut his food back THAT much since I was trying to help him slim down slowly!

My vet let's me pick outthe flavor of antibiotic I want for my bunnies/guinea pigs and then they mix it up.I have usedgrape and apple and they both smell good. I would think the beef flavor would be more for a dog or cat.

Hope your bunnies are feeling better soon.

Oh no! I left their Baytril out of the fridge for about 5 1/2 hours :( Is it still good? They've had 11 days of it so far.

As for how they're doing, Rory has had 0 pee accidents! Skyler went several days without doing it, but yesterday he peed in the corner of his cage. I'm uncertain if this is because of the UTI or if it's just because he has poor litter box skills. Also, Skyler drank his entire water bottle in 24 hours. I think it has 3 cup capacity. The bottle may have been leaking, there was some liquid underneath it. I sure hope it was leaking because that is a lot of water! If it happens again today (I'm at school for 12 hours today so I won't see him for quite a while), I'll buy him a new bottle to see if leaking is the problem.

It's probably still good. I think they should have it for at least 14 days. I hope it's just leaking instead of drinking lots--that can be part of a UTI as you probably know.

Tonight is the last night of their meds! I'm honestly not sure what happened with the water. After I refilled it, it's taken him just about exactly 3 days to empty it, which is what I would expect. Would a bunny really drink a whole water bottle in one day and then take 3 days to drink the same amount, even if he had a UTI?

Claire, good news is he's been drinking a reasonable amount of water the past couple of days! Bad news is he still feels skinny to me. The vet said he's an appropriate weight when he went 2 weeks ago. Maybe it's just because he was fatter than I thought he was before, so now he feels little? He's the smallest of our 4 bunnies too so that could be it. The funny thing is he looks just as fat as ever because he's so fluffy and his body is very compact! Oh and Rory hasn't had a single pee accident in over 2 weeks! Yay!

Good to hear! About the weight, has his stool been checked for parasites or has he been de-wormed lately? It could be something that simple. It may just be that he's not skinny either.

Latest posts

Back