Skyler is a little piggy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I just wanted to share Skyler's feat with everyone. I was doing some embroidery and was aware that he was lying down on the other side of the room, coincidentally near my open backpack. My open backpack which I'd already packed up with my lunch for tomorrow, including a banana. I went over to see what he was doing and found him smacking his lips and the tiniest bit of peel was left... Yes, he did eat an ENTIRE banana complete with peel in about 2 minutes! This is an example of why most of his nicknames have to do with being roly poly (though he isn't really fat, he just loves to eat and has a very stocky body shape), like Chunky Bunky, Chubba Wubba and Fatty Bear :biggrin2:

After I put him back in his cage, he ate hay for a few minutes (I'm amazed he had room left in his belly!) and then flopped out in his litter box. Do I need to worry about him or anything since he ate so much? The banana was organic, if it means anything.

I was going to post a photo of him eating a tiny banana a few months ago, but Photobucket is down.

:rofl:i swear all my fur kids know that the minute i pick up a needle/hook/shuttle im not concentrating on them! im also certain that they delegate one of them to put their nose/paw near my work for added distraction. you definitely need eyes in the back of your head:D

It might be good to give him a little Bene-Bac and watch for gas, but he should be fine. My Muffin actually prefers banana peel! It's actually significant that it was organic, since I assume you didn't wash it (who washes bananas except people who are planning on giving the peel to their bunny?) so it wouldn't have any pesticides on the peel.

Once, my guys ate a hole in my backpack to get an apple. They did have all night to accomplish this, however, so I'm not terribly surprised, looking back at it.
:twitch:

Oh my gosh...what a stinkhead!! And a THIEF!! LOL!!

Skyler, you stinker rolly polly!! :)

Is he used to having banana? If so, about how much does he get at a time?

Either way, I would keep any sugar-ish things from him for a week, and push lots of hay, just to be on the safe side. BUT...I have to say...sounds like he's a VERY happy boy!!!

LOL!!!

And might I say, I know my bunnies (especially Teddy) are behind me, going...

:highfive:

Claire, I was concerned since I didn't wash the banana, too! I usually buy whichever nanners look the best, and this week it was organic. I'm glad for that! This morning the little butterball seems fine. He's lying down in his litter box, which is normal for him since he likes to be lazy. I'll definitely keep an eye on him though.

Rosie, the bunners usually get nanas at least once a week. I try to buy bananas that are on the smaller side (since I can't eat a really big one), and each bunny gets a quarter of it, which I consider to be a pretty big piece but they always eat it in about 30 seconds. I usually actually hold the piece of banana and only let Skyler have one bite at a time, otherwise he'll try to shove the whole thing in his mouth at once (I think he unhinges his jaw) and I worry he'll choke. The other bunnies show a little more self restraint.

Skyler puts the Bun in Bunanna.

Lol sounds like he was in heaven for that 2 minutes he was scarfing down the banana:p

Last time I gave mybunniesbanana Shadow tried to eat the peel but I stopped him thinking he would be sick from it...so it's okay for them toeat the peel of the banana to??

eta : If it is safe for them to eat would the peel be better for them than the actual banana because its not so sugary??

I give more of the peel than the banana because it has less sugar. I have been known to give entire peels before but that's probably not good. Maybe half a section of the peel? I've never heard of anything bad from eating the peel, and like I said Muffin prefers it, and she has no problems after eating it.

LOL! I bet he was keeping a close watch on you, making sure you didn't see him :)

Stan brought some bananas around a while back, and I left them in the box on the floor for a while. A little later I caught Jester, front feet on the box, tucking in to a 'nana (inluding the skin) with a look of total bliss on his face :rollseyes

the must be able to smell them at a hundred paces ;)

Jan

banana skins have a chemical in them which makes your mouth tingle heaps (I can't remember what it's called my horses used to go WILD for it, the vet equated it to rubbing sherbet all over your gums and tongue).

It's a very enjoyable experience for your rabbits, I don't think the chemical is poisonous, but you might want to find out.

ummm... in my research all I'm finding is references to a Zelda character named Tingle who throws banana peels, and some NSFW stuff with bananas. Where did you hear about this Dave? I did find somewhere that the peels can contain a lot of alcohol, so that's not great I guess.

Found this on Wikipedia:
Bananadine is an allegedly psychoactive substance which is extracted from banana peels. A recipe for its extraction from banana peel was originally published as a hoax in the Berkeley Barb in March 1967

Researchers at New York University have found that banana peel contains no intoxicating chemicals, and that smoking it does not produce a Psychedelic effect. Over the years, there has been considerable speculation regarding the psychoactive properties of banana skins.

dont know if maybe thats what it's called ??

Latest posts

Back