Size difference

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucktooth

Reaction score
Same litter, the small ones eyes actually opened 3 days before the other one. At one point they were the same size. Now Curly is a big chonk!IMG_20190405_182352.jpg

Yes, that's quite the size difference. It's cute seeing them together.

I've already mentioned my suspicions as to the health cause, so I'm hoping you were able to get treatment started for that. I had a new baby bun once that was extremely bony, had a pot belly, dull coat, and was at least half the size of her siblings at 8 weeks. Suspected hepatic coccidiosis, though not confirmed with a blood test. She recovered, put weight on, lost the pot belly, caught up in size to her siblings(is actually slightly bigger than them), and is now 6 yrs old. So as long as no serious liver damage occurs(presuming this is the cause) and the kit gets the correct treatment, it could very well catch back up in size to the sibling.

When we got our Great Dane, Fry, there were only 2 Merlequins out of 10 and they were both almost twice as big as the other puppies--things aren't always equal and even seen a lot of variations besides size and color.
This girl in my avatar is fully grey and both her parents were same white with black spots lop rabbits, they had an accidental litter of three kits two completely black and one grey, a bit weird isn't it? And I've met her mother she was very fat and slow lazy bun 6 months old laying on her shelf while my smokey is very fast and nervous and defensive. Complete opposite to her mother. Funny.

How long did it take for you to see a difference Jbun? I used baycox instead of the sulfa drugs, I didn't want to have to wait for them to be compounded and I don't like the idea of adding to water. The baycox dose was tiny because the rabbit is only 300 grams. I did not use the 25mg/kg dose which was suggested, I wanted to use the 2.5mg dose but settled on 3mg/kg to make it an amount I could actually draw up. Then I mixed some critical care and sucked that up in the syringe too and Erin doesn't even know she got any baycox. Her poops are getting larger and she seemed more hungry and active today, and her ears actually feel warm. I did not treat my other rabbit Curly. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not but Curly is doing so well I'm afraid to screw it up with harsh meds.

I don't recall exactly when I noticed a difference in her body weight and size because it was a while ago. I think it was a few weeks later that I noticed she no longer felt so bony or had the pot belly. Then it took a little while longer after that for her to catch up in size to her siblings.

I'm glad you didn't use the 25mg/kg dose as that was a misprint from 25ppm(not the same thing) and is the wrong dose. 2.5-5mg/kg is the recommended dose that I have seen(also what's supported in the research), given for two days, 5 days off, then given another two days.

Not all rabbits will get sick. If your other rabbit shows no symptoms then I don't think I would give meds either. It can always be done at a later time if it's needed.

The first picture is her with her siblings at 8 weeks old. She's the white and black spotted bunny. You can see how much smaller she is. Then the second photo is about 4 months later. The white rabbit is her sibling and you can see they are about the same size(she's a little bigger).

IMAG0813.jpg P1010136.JPG

Latest posts

Back