sisters behaving strangely???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBunch

Reaction score
Sugar and Doodlebug are both new zealand whites, and supposedly neutered sisters. about 3yrs old going off of PO's info. Anyhow, Doodlebug and Sugar and have been pulling tufts of fur off themselves and dropping it all over their condo, and doodles lined their cardboard box with it. also sugar has been honking and squeaking at doodles, and then mounts her. I have them scheduled for exams on Saturday, hoping they can tell me what is going on (and to check for spay scars). But in the meantime... has anyone else ever experienced this?

The same thing happened to me when I thought that I had two males in one hutch. One was honking and the fur pulling happened too. Before I even had a chance to take them to the vet, we were blessed with four baby bunnies on Christmas Eve morning.

It seems a lot like pregnancy to me if your bun is honking and pulling fur. Rabbits build their nest around 2 days before they give birth. And the honking means discomfort.

Female rabbits go through 'false pregnancies' where they build nests and get very hormonal.

I had a mother/daughter pair, both older, who seemed to get along most of the time but would also often go through periods of hair pulling so that one would have big patches missing. They were quite the mess, but still groomed and cuddled most of the time.

For some reason they stopped fighting (although not the false pregnancies) after I put an extra shelf in their pen. They already had a little condo with a shelf, adding another one made all the difference.

Can you try giving them more space?

ETA: My mini-lop, Darry, is pretty old and spayed (and cranky), but still pulls hair and builds nests all the time. She also mounts her bf, especially when the dinner plate arrives or when she's annoyed with him. But they have a lot of space to avoid each other.

sas :bunnydance:

I picked them up in mid January, so it hasn't even been a month yet. they have been chasing and mounting each other all day today, and have been VERY vocal about it! Sugar sounds like a squeaky wheel, and doodle makes a low grunting sound every now and then. doodle is also back to pulling out her fur... I REALLY hope the vet can tell me what the blip is going on, cause its got me going nuts!! should I seperate them? or will the minor tiffs over mounting not escalate?

my rex,s are the only rabbits that honk,,not at each other,,but when picked up..,,i have two rex,s left/lost my-baby red back in december09...are they pulling fur off their teet area or any where in general.??.my havana girls get into-a- tuff/rough housing/chasing/fur flying,,commical to watch-via camera,--sincerely james waller

Back