Single rabbit after the death of cagemate. What to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammybunny

Reaction score
I have a 4 yo rabbit that just suffered the loss of her cagemate. She is doing ok as of now, maybe a little lost. She is still eating drinking and pooping and not sick. She isn't very people oriented and doesn't look to people for much other than treats. At this point in life I am not able to get another rabbit, as I already have a number of pets and an uncertain living situation. I could try and bond with her more , but I don't know if she would be happy as an only bunny. I have cats that she interacts with but it isn't the same. I want to do what is best for her. If that means rehoming her into a multiple rabbit home I will, although I don't want to. I would really like to keep her, but don't want her to be sad or lonely. I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you are not able to get another bunny-friend for her, what about a stuffie-bunny. My Patrick was grieving so much when Benjamin died that he spent most of his time laying with and grooming a stuffed rabbit I picked up at St. Vincent for a quarter.

Just a thought....

When Lilly got sick and passed, Molly was left alone after almost six years. It's been a little over a year and she is fine. She's in a hutch alone now, but between two large rabbits that she's been around since Lilly passed.

She seems to be doing ok. I did put in a white stuffed monkey in her cage and she like being next to it. Actually glancing out of the corner of my eye, I think that it is Sammy. I've been letting her have the run of the room which she likes. She only gets locked away at night. I know now who the messy bunny was as her cage is staying cleaner and the cage isn't destryed the day after cleaning. I still miss the sammy crazyness though. I think we will be ok, it just takes time.

it depends on which roll she played in the bond..if she was the needy bunny always turning to her mate for any kind of comfort then she will miss him deeply and might slowly start to fade..but if she was the more human social outgoing bun in the duo then she will adapt to her solitary life just fine...the prob with rehoming her right now is shes already gone thu a very traumatizing thing with losing her mate..to add a dif home and dif smells and people and buns might be the worst thing for her right now.....give her a little time to grieve ,,,then see how shes doing...give her extra attention even if she doesnt seem to want it...she might just eventually turn her comfort needs to you..itll take time..good luck.

Latest posts

Back