single kit in the litter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisausername

Reaction score
In not sure if this is the correct place to post, but my rabbit gave birth yesterday afternoon. There were 2 kits, both cold and one of which we were unable to bring back. Now there is a lone kit in the nest, but this morning we checked on it and it was freezing! We warmed it up again and it was wriggling around, but we're worried it's going to be cold without any siblings. What can we do to keep the nest warm? We also don't think it has been been fed yet as its tummy is flat. Should we be concerned?

Single kits have a hard time keeping warm, even if the nest is great - big ball of fur, kits well covered under min. 1-2" of fur. I use electric heating pads, about 3-5W, under one corner (so the kits can wiggle to and fro into their goldilocks zone) of the nestbox in freezing weather or with very small litters. Others use warm water bottles at one side of the box, but they need to be replaced often.

You can also take the nestbox inside and return it for feeding, never tried that myself.

Digestion of chilled kits doesn't work, not beeing able to eat makes it worse rapidly, keeping them warm is essential.
In most cases the doe feeds within 12-24h, rarely it can take up to 48h for the milk to drop, some does really need privacy and don't nurse when someone is around.

Latest posts

Back