Singing the Megacolon/Loud Gut Blues...Again...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Despite some ups-'n-downs, Zoe's gut has done reasonably well on an all-hay diet (since early July). The vet suggested that I slowly introduce Critical Care to see if her gut would tolerate it, since greens seem to cause her issues (and pellets would likely be too drying on top of hay at this point).

I've been giving her slightly less than1/4 tsp. of Critical Carein water since 9/22. Things seemed okayuntil today, when she began showing signs of discomfort. Her gut sounds are overly-loud/active on her cecum side. So I gave her two doses of Simethicone and one of Metacam. I've skipped her Critical Care dose tonight and will update the vet tomorrow.

At this point, I'mjust airing my woes/stress; I'm at my rope's end as to what I can feed her besides hay. And I hate the fact that I'm depriving her of nutrients and moisture that she needs. But nothing seems to go right whenever she gets anything besides hay. Ugh...I hate feeling lack I lack all control of the situation. :(

Jenk

I don't thnk that you should give up on the CC but just wait a few days and start it again..the problem today may not be related to the CC at all

and over time you can determine whether it is the CC or not.

I agree that she may be missing some nutrients from absolutely nothing but hay ; too bad there isn't a vitamin supplement for rabbits ( but that could cause gut issues i too)
Just hang in there ; you're doing well with her
Maureen
:hug:

angieluv wrote:
I don't thnk that you should give up on the CC but just wait a few days and start it again..the problem today may not be related to the CC at all

and over time you can determine whether it is the CC or not.

Just hang in there; you're doing well with her.

This experimental approach does nothing for my anxiety. If her issuesseem realated to theCC,that makes me very leery to try it again. :(

I'm going to leave a message for the vet this morning; I'm unsure if I've the fortitude to tackle this issue from home, or if she'll need a vet visit. (At the very least, she'll likely need some form of medication.)

Shehad a great deal of gas ast night, which I tried to work out with massage. She passed a very decreased fecal quantity and drank very little water overnight (compared to her usual amounts). Plus, her stomach/digestive tract feels overly firm this morning. Could be mainly gas; it's hard to tell.

After two doses of Simethicone, she seemed to have worse gas last night; now I don't want to give her more of it (since some buns do worse on it--possibly from the synthetic sweetener).

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
Ugh...I hate feeling lack I lack all control of the situation. :(

Jenk
As do I.

I hate being responsible for their care and not knowing what to do.

Chippy gives me some of the same challenges as Zoe does you.

:twitch:

JimD wrote:
As do I.

I hate being responsible for their care and not knowing what to do.

Chippy gives me some of the same challenges as Zoe does you.

:twitch:

I know that misery usually loves company,but I hate the fact thatothers alsofeel as stressed and helpless as I in this situation.

The vet has suggested that it's possible that Zoe's gut, having been on hay only since early July, is having troubling processing even a tiny amount of Critical Care on a daily basis. But we won't ever really know. :(

All I can do is stop the CC for a few days, or however long it takes Zoe's gut to calm down--if it even calms down without medical intervention. (At this point, I suspect that her gut flora is already "off" due to her gut slowdown.) When we reach a "safer" time, I can agan slowly re-introduce a tiny amount of CC but maybe offer it every 2-3 days.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! I think that I'm overdue for another good frustration cry....

Latest posts

Back