Simon & some post neuter problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
Simon went to the vet this past Wednesday. Dropped him off at 9am. Called at 1pm, was told he was just waking up, every thing went smoothly and I could pick up at 4pm. Got there at 5pm, he seems ok...talked to the tech about things.
He gets medacam once a day for 4 days.

We come home to the new house and he seems ok with that. He starts eating, drinking and going to town on the bag of alfalfa I bought. (I know I know..it is the last bag I am buying...just wanted to make sure he would really eat)
That night I notice one looks flat, pale and fine. The other looks swollen, red, warm to the touch. I call Thursday morning. Told if it is not resolved within 24 hours call and probably would need to bring him in.
I call this morning and the chick calls our vet at home. Vet says this is normal to have swelling up to 5 days after the nueter.

So I am unsure what to do, if he is ok, if something is wrong, if I should get him back to the vet. We sort of use two. I felt good about this one for the neuter...but otherwise use Avian & Exotic as I like them too and are closer.

I will be listing photos and a video.

Please take a peek and tell me what you guys think. Should I get him into the vets office asap, is this a normal sort of run...

He is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping...biting at his cage and showing he is ticked off about being caged. Knocked down what I had blocking his shelf...I gave up on trying to keep him from jumping up there...he was most determined.
He has Brome, Timothy, Alfalfa Hays...Tap water, Timothy oxbow pellets 1/4 cup per day.

Simonsnutters001.jpg

Simonsnutters002.jpg

Simonsnutters003.jpg

Simonsnutters005.jpg

Simonsnutters006.jpg

working on getting the video loaded to photobucket..

Thanks in advance!

M

I know sometimes a nicked blood vessel can leak a bit causing swelling. It usually takes a few days for the body to reabsorb the leaked blood (which is why it takes a few days to go down).

I'm not *sure* thats what that looks like though.

Is it still feverish?

I haven't had any boys done myself (they both came neutered), but Ithink I've heard ofthis before. Keep a close eye on it butlike your vet said it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe give him a warm rice sock or towel to lay on?Warmth can helpthe healing.

Ouch i'm a girl and that looks sore :shock:i haven't seen it beofre in any of our neuters I would agree withteh others though. I hope its ok give him a anose rub from me

That doesn't look like Benjamin did. He had one that was kinda saggy like the less swollen one, and the other one completely receded to be flat with the rest of the skin. You might try icing it with an ice bag in a towel--that's what the vet said for us to do. 10-20 min, 2-3 times a day. I'd be really gentle though because that doesn't look comfortable at all. If the icing doesn't take it down, definitely take him back in! :?

Hi all!

Thanks for all the replies...I feel for the little guy too...just looks like it has to hurt.
I have the vets email and just actually sent her two of those pictures.

If he thinks you are trying to touch his butt, or pick him up he books away from you and hides...so I haven't been too pushy with him.
Those shots I consider very lucky he stood and staid that way long enough for me to snap some pics...

He isn't even 4lbs yet...Turned 6 months on the 25 of this month.

Made some trips back and forth to the other place today and I am worn thin. Going to try to make sense out of some of this mess and than see if he will let me get another look....hoping it has at least gone down some.

I think Leaf is right. There's so many tiny vessels in the area that they sometimes nick one or don't get them all tied off. So, some blood leaks into the sack. Apparently, while this is not the usual, it's not all that unusual, either.

Here's a video I made about Skyler's post-neuter check up.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wObnMJNYoSo[/ame]

I've been looking for pictures of this and would greatly appreciate it, if I could use Simon's. I'm endeavoring to get up a web site that will add information to the videos. And, of course, I'd be glad to give credit to you and Simon with a "full body" picture of handsome Simon.

This would really help fill in some holes. The more I learn, the more holes I see.

Flick wrote:
I think Leaf is right. There's so many tiny vessels in the area that they sometimes nick one or don't get them all tied off. So, some blood leaks into the sack. Apparently, while this is not the usual, it's not all that unusual, either.

Here's a video I made about Skyler's post-neuter check up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wObnMJNYoSo

I've been looking for pictures of this and would greatly appreciate it, if I could use Simon's. I'm endeavoring to get up a web site that will add information to the videos. And, of course, I'd be glad to give credit to you and Simon with a "full body" picture of handsome Simon.

This would really help fill in some holes. The more I learn, the more holes I see.

----

Sure that would be fine to use the pics...I hope it helps out!!
Thanks to you both for the fyi....
It doesn't feel warm anymore and he does seem rather his normal self if not a bit strange...perhaps like moody might be a good word.
I think maybe it went down a little...but again he is very like NO YOUR NOT TOUCHING ME THERE! right now...
He seems to get dopey right after the meds in the morning and just chills laying down, but I think they must wear off fast as he is perky, jumping, biting at his cage n whatnot by the afternoon...

I think the video was too big too load on photobucket...gave up trying.

Thanks, Orchid! It will help ALOT! I didn't think it happened often, but after about the 5th post I've seen on various list sites, I realized that it happens often enough that it needs to be included. Of course, once I made that determination, I didn't have any pictures for "show and tell".

I very much appreciate your letting me use the pictures. You're guuder than every angel!

Well I will keep on taking pics and load them up to photobucket too.
His neuter was on Wed. Those pics are from about 3pm today.
I will keep taking some and you are welcome to use them.

Glad to help!

That looks really sore...

I see a lot of neuters because of the shelter buns.

One thing I have noticed is that if you see no change each day after surgery or increased swelling there may be a problem but if the swelling and redness is diminishing on a daily basis( even if not a lot) there is usually no problem

angieluv wrote:
That looks really sore...

I see a lot of neuters because of the shelter buns.

One thing I have noticed is that if you see no change each day after surgery or increased swelling there may be a problem but if the swelling and redness is diminishing on a daily basis( even if not a lot) there is usually no problem

----

Yeah I know,..but just about an hour ago I guess he let me touch it when he was eating some pellets and didn't seem to give a rats toot about it...so I am hoping how it looks is not how it feels....

I would just tell myself that I'm not going to look at it until morning.
I have done that with the shelter rabbits and by the next day you are really better able to tell if it is worse, the same , or better.
He is probably picking up on your anxiety.

Some more pics taken at 10pm - est

Simonsnutters013.jpg

Simonsnutters014.jpg

Simonsnutters015.jpg

Simonsnutters016.jpg

Simonsnutters017.jpg

Simonsnutters018.jpg

Sort of looks the same doesn't it :(

I am hoping for it to look much better tomorrow morning or I think I will go ahead and have him seen at Avain & Exotic...better safe than sorry...who knows....lets just see what the morrow brings..

Thanks again all for the support,...

Try not to worry yourself so much...

it almost looks like some blood leaked into the sac.
Even if there is a problem ( I doubt it)
it can easily be handled by the vet

I know I shouldn't worry so..but it is hard not to.

Simon is like my furry anti depressant...lol....without him, well the sun wouldn't be three feet away anymore.. :)

Orchid wrote:
I know I shouldn't worry so..but it is hard not to.

Simon is like my furry anti depressant...lol....without him, well the sun wouldn't be three feet away anymore.. :)

That is the sweetest statement . I actually worry a lot myself soI do understand.

However I'm sure that he will be fine
:heartbeat:

Well alas it is true...he makes me smile and laugh even when he is naughty...I loves him to pieces,...but I will tell you..

The other day I was sitting on my new front steps...was in the shade..I was worried about Simon, he was at the vet, worried about getting everything here and I was telling my friend this who was sitting next to me...seeing me looking all worried and stressed out...so he says to me..

"Look on the bright side....it's 3 feet away"

and I laughed and smiled and didn't feel so bad, for indeed the sun was hitting the lawn three feet infront of us...

and Simon...well he has been and hopefully for many moons to come, be my bright side.

:)

G'nite everyone!

Back