Simethicone Frequency...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Someone (on RO, I think) once said to avoid giving Simethicone unless absolutely necessary, as it can disrupt a bun's gut flora.

I'm curious if anyone has ever given Simethicone more long-term (a week or longer), especially for a bun who may have ingested something that's irritated the digestive system? And were there any odd (or negative) side effects from doing so?

My Zoe is still passing a good amount of fecal material, but she shows signs of gut/gas discomfort (esp. lying around in odd positions). At times, her stomach and/or intestines feel normal; other times, they feel quite firm. I suspect that she's still passing the plastic that she ate--and that her gut disruption may continue for a spell (probably at least several more weeks' yet).

Thank you,

Jenk

If I felt it was needed for more than 2 days in a row, it would be time to go to the vet. I take as much of a hands off approach with GI issues as possible, trying not to do pre-emptive things other than adding pumpkin or Bene-Bac. I don't think plastic could cause gas.

I have to be honest- I give one of my rabbits simethicone very often and I don't think it disrupts gut flora. If you are concerned about that then supplementing with probiotics will help.

I have given my Sass long term simethicone doses. There have been no negative side effects, (except on my wallet, haha) he loves the taste. During a molt I give Sass 1-2cc of simethicone daily as maintenence. I do think it may help him but mind you Sass is very susceptable to gas attack/GI slowdown. Because he likes the simethicone I give it often, but if he hated it and the administration of it was stressing him out I wouldn't do it as a precaution at all.

dquesnel wrote:
During a molt I give Sass 1-2cc of simethicone daily as maintenence. I do think it may help him but mind you Sass is very susceptable to gas attack/GI slowdown. Because he likes the simethicone I give it often, but if he hated it and the administration of it was stressing him out I wouldn't do it as a precaution at all.
Zoe really likes Simethicone (and nearly all liquid medications); at least I'm lucky in that regard.

Ok, that sounds good. I think it was Randy that wasn't happy with overuse of simethicone. I can see how it would disrupt gut flora, so I would recommend giving it with probiotics. Muffin loves Bene-Bac and will lick it off my fingers, plus it is good for her when her poos get small, so I swear by it.

tonyshuman wrote:
Ok, that sounds good. I think it was Randy that wasn't happy with overuse of simethicone.
Actually, it wasn't Randy who said that (to me, anyway). But for the life of me, I can't recall whom it was. I'm 32, going on senile.... LOL
I can see how it would disrupt gut flora, so I would recommend giving it with probiotics. Muffin loves Bene-Bac and will lick it off my fingers, plus it is good for her when her poos get small, so I swear by it.
Ironically, the vet suggested today that I start her on a one-week course of Bene-Bac. (Not so much because of the Simethicone, but because of the abnormal fecal shapes and odor.)

Like Muffin, Zoe loves Bene-Bac and comes runnin' for it.

So when Muffin shows early signs of gut slowdown, Bene-Bac seems to stop it from progressing to stasis?

Yep, that and a new handful of hay. Oat hay is also a favorite and it is very coarse. My guys aren't very sensitive though. But lately I have been noticing small poos and then I give Bene-Bac and by the time I come home from work, the poos are normal and everywhere. ;)

It was me who mentioned that Simethicone might not be the best course of action. There is some debate as to whether or not it makes gas pain worse in babies as it supposedly "combines" gas bubbles to make larger gas bubbles. However, when these large gas bubbles in the stomach pass into the intestine instead of being expelled in a burp, they can cause extreme pain. Also, reports state that Simethicone is only effective for treating gas formation in the stomach - it does nothing for gas formation in the intestines. Other sites claim that Simethecone breaks down large gas bubbles. There seems to be much conflicting into on how or if it has any effect and whether it can cause more harm than good.

Studies have indicated that Simithecone is no more effective than a placebo (one of the two studies that cite adverse effects of Simithecone use):

1. [font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]83 patients were randomized to two groups (simethicone or placebo). Treatment lasted 3-10 days after which parents were to turn in medication and get the opposite study medication. 25% of those treated with simethicone reported definite or probable improvement. 29% of those treated with placebo reported definite or probable improvement. 24% reported no change with either drug, 22% reported definite or probable worsening with either drug.[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Citation[/font]
  1. [font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Metcalf TJ, Irons TG, Sher LD, Young PC. Simethicone in the treatment of infant colic: A randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial; Pediatrics 1994; 94:29-34.[/font]

pamnock wrote:
There seems to be much conflicting into [sic]on how or if it has any effect and whether it can cause more harm than good.
Well, that would figure. After all, we are talking about rabbit medicine, for which there seems to be no hard-and-fast rules. :(
Studies have indicated that Simithecone is no more effective than a placebo (one of the two studies that cite adverse effects of Simithecone use)....
I can say that it's seemingly helped all three of my buns in the past--two of them in particular. Even one dose can make the difference between discomforted/lackluster behavior and the usual spunkiness.

So, to my mind,if it is a placebo effect, it's still a good one. That said, I still dislike adding anything extra (and less natural) to the daily diet; so I try to use it sparingly. If it seems that I need to keep giving it--that it's not having an effect, or if gas continues to build-up--I'd certainly talk with the vet (and probably make an appointment).

If you're having to give simethicone on a regular basis, it's time to re-evaluate the rabbit's diet. I've been on a pellet/hay diet with my rabbits since 2001 and have only ever had TWO instances where rabbits when off food overnight. I consider that to be pretty good odds.

Having to give a rabbit meds regularly to aid in digestion is a sign of bigger things being wrong.

Latest posts

Back