simethicone dose for dwarfs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
so my bf's bunny benjamin wasn't pooing today, and we went to get him some simethicone because he heard some tummy rumbles and such so we suspected gas. of course by the time we had gotten back from the store, he had pooed a lot, so we stopped worrying as much. we did give him 1 full 1mL dose of baby simethicone, and we were wondering if that makes sense for a 2.5lb bunny. do those of you with dwarfs reduce the dose becuase they're so much smaller? benji seems to be doing fine now, btw, just want to know for future reference. thanks!:litterhealthy:

Don't worry, you can't overdose with simethicone. My Vitto is a dwarf hotot, he's 1,250 kgr (sorry for the european measurement of weight, but I don't remember how to convert to lb...) and the one time that he had a huge gas and GI stasis problem, I gave him 1.5 ml, for the first 3 times once per hour and then another 3 times every 3 hours and at the end I reduced at 1ml every 8 hrs for the next 3 days, ending with reducing gradually to 0,5 and 0,3 ml for another 3 days. So, 1 ml won't hurt Benjamin. Apart from my own experience with just one bun, I've read numerous times in rabbit forums that simethicone is safe for rabbits, at least in these logical quantities.

Marietta

Unofficially speaking...the correct clinical dosing of simethicone is 100mg/kg every 2-8 hours. Many consider simethicone without side effects....however that is not totally true as there are side effects to any medication. Simethicone can have a constipating effect in some situations. Also of note, when properly dosing pay close attention to the concentration of the drug as bottled.

Randy

Latest posts

Back