sily question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would not just put the eating hay onthe cage floor, if it becomes contaminated by urine it is very bad forthe rabbit to eat. I have a heavy bowl for Jezebel for her hay and aconnected metal bowl for Jade (they are "throwers") A lot of peeps hereon this forum use Hay Racks...so I will let them fill you in on those,since I dont use them...

Cher

Hello Mhiszxpinay,

I question why you would put hay on the floor of the cage? Is it awire-floored cage or does it have a solid floor? Wire floors are bestas they let the droppings fall through to a tray or the ground whereyour rabbit cannot get at them and create health risks. I puthay in a hay-rack or between the door and the side of the cage. When arabbit ingests contaminated hay [with manure & or urine] it canlead to drastic circumstances: Coccidiosis, GIstasis etc. An ounce ofprevention is worth a pound of cure. Remember that rabbits are NOT thesharpest tack in the box. We must always watch out for theirwell=being. You can purchase a Hay-rack or build one out of scrapecage-wire. It is open on top so you can top-fill it when necessary.bend the sides so you can hook it to the outside of the cage. you canremove a wire or two if you wish from the side of the cage to make iteasier for the rabbit to pull the hay from the rack. In most cases thatis not necessary as the rabbit will pull the hay through the cage barsas needed. I have fashioned many Hay-racks from leftover gage-wirescrapes. Trial and error will help you to fashion what works best foryou. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Personally, I find the pic of the chicken extremely helpful

teasing,couldnt help it, had to getthat in..........

on a more serious note, your post isvery helpful since I didnot even know what they could getby eatingsaidhay! hencemy post of just saying it was BAD....forbunny....thanks Dennis!

Cher

dennis i did not know that rabbits could get sick if tehy atethere poo or pee. Thanks for telling me that but i reallt do not haveto worry about it because i have a cage that it just falls through butstill that is very good information that you gave us!! thanks

- Melissa

HankHanky wrote:
Remember that rabbits are NOT the sharpest tack in the box.
Dennis,C.V.R.
Hi, Dennis. While this was amost excellent and informative post, on the point above I mustrespectfully disagree. Rabbits are very bright andintelligent creatures.

However, it is our duty to watchout for their wellbeing as you have so well stated because they aretotally dependent on us for their care. :)

Not all of em....I think I've got some of the loveable dim ones. hehehe

Especially Pandemonium. :p

Bunbun was smart, a little too smart!

Rose

Latest posts

Back