Silver Marten ND Junior - What could this be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelanatty

Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry
Reaction score
This little baby who is about four weeks old has a white foot.His left front foot looks like it is white on the top and bottom of the foot. Its two siblings do not have this problem, but their mother has thrown a baby with this before. The last time she was bred to a REW, so I thought it might be from that, but I don't know what this is. She was bred to a black silver marten buck and she is a black silver marten herself. Here are pictures, and thanks in advance.

13125_092249_580000004.jpg

13125_092249_580000003.jpg

13125_092249_580000002.jpg

13125_092249_570000001.jpg

13125_092249_570000000.jpg

I posted something like this on facebook yesterday and had people ranting at me like I was stupid and didn't understand genetics.

I can't promise that it's not VC that's cropping up somewhere, but I also believe that there may be other things that cause white splotches rather than just vienna. *shrug* but apparently voicing my opinion on that just gets me looked at weird.

I know that with Silver Martens you can sometimes end up with a streak of white, so splotch o white on the feet. Looks like you kit either has that, or is a vienna. Most viennas have white spots, or streaks on their nose, or face, though. What colors are in it's sire and dam's background?

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

Come to think of it, both of it's front feet have the white 'paw pads', and tipped white for the hind feet.

It's a random thing I'm seeing in a LOT of my shadeds, especially the sable points. I'm not sure if they ever really grow out of it, since their feet are always stained from sitting on the wire where they pee. =/ I'm wondering if it's a unrecognized/tracked/recorded gene for white spots, or white feet. Wish I could find my pics of the couple of mismarks I've had like that.

Alrighty, here we go. First, thank you all for your replies.

I don't know if it could be VC because half of the dam's pedigree is missing. There is nothing in the sire's pedigree that would suggest the vienna gene could be the cause.

Megan, I think you have a very good point. I recently acquired a copy of the new standard of perfection, and as I was looking through it, there were pictures of some DQ's. One of those was called 'white foot pads'. In the picture, the rabbit had a spot of white on the bottom of its foot. I am thinking that this could be the issue, but that it is just much more expressed, and has taken over part of the top of the foot as well.

The kit that this doe had previously that showed this problem had white going up his leg to his elbow.

Maybe this is becoming a common thing that judges just don't catch because the rabbits' feet are always exposed to wire.

There are a number of genes that can prevent color from extending onto the foot including vienna and broken as well as genes related to white toenails (I've seen lines with white toenails somewhere in the background more commonly throw white toes/feet.

Latest posts

Back