Silver Fox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
I got a pair of Silver Fox yesterday and I am very excited. I've waited months to get them. The Silver Fox is the second original American Breed developed in the US. Developed during the 1920's by Mr. W.B. Garland of N. Canton, OH, they have a black coat with evenly scatteredsilver hairs. The fur feels very different than other rabbits, slightly course, and when stroked from tail to neck, the fur stands up and remains standing until you stoke it back. They are supposed to feel like a fox...

They are born solid black and develop the silvering as they mature. Does average 10-12 lbs, buck 9-11 lbs. Theycome in two different colors, black and blue. The Black is accepted by the ARBA, the Blue recently began being show under a working standard (hopefully towards the variety being accepted).

They are supposed to be very hardy with a gentle temperament.After the 1960's theyfell out of favor with breeders and became rare. Now they are considered a Heritage breed and a few dedicated people are working on preserving the breed. I thought I'd like to join them.

Without further ado, may I present Merlin (4 months old):

merlin1-4months.jpg

merlin2-4months.jpg

And Morgana le Fay (9 weeks old):

morganalefay1-9weeks.jpg

morganalefay2-9weeks.jpg

Merlin is older and more used to being handled. He loves being petted and likes to play with your hand. He settled in very quickly. His silvering is coming in nicely and should richen up as he grows up. Morgana is younger and not used to being handled. We will take it slower with her. She has less silvering but hopefully will develop more as she matures.

Both are in quarantine, until I can be sure they are healthy and not carrying anything. Both came from certified Organic Farms and very dedicated breeders. I'm honored to have gotten two of these beautiful rabbits from such wonderful breeders.

Oh my gosh! Lucky you! Silver Fox are sooo pretty! Merlin is gorgeous! You can really see the silver ticking (?) in his fur! Morgana le Fey, what a pretty name! Does it mean anything? She's so pretty as well! :inlove::adorable:

Silver Fox are really gorgeous bunnies...I wouldn't mind having some myself :p

Emily

In medieval literature, Morgan le Faywas supposed to be King Arthurs half sister, and she was a magician/sorceress/fairy. (Also called Morgana...) She was a troublemaker and antagonist towards King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table. I thought it suited my new girl...

I'll try to take a closeup of the silver ticking. Merlin is really handsome.

YAY!!! Congrats on the SF they look BEAUTIFUL!

Especially Merlin, that silvering looks like he's on the right track.

It makes me so happy to see more people getting into Silver Foxes, they are such a nice breed. Enjoy them!

Awesome! They're such a beautiful breed. I got to pet one at a show once, his owner was the only Silver Fox breeder there unfortunately.

I have a LOT to learn about them. But they are pretty. I haven'thad a new breed in over 8 years! (At least I 'm consistant!) But they really caught my interest.

I have them in 24 x 36 cooping.I have much bigger cages for kindling. Do you have any recommendations about the breed? Anything I NEED to know?

BlueGiants wrote:
I have a LOT to learn about them. But they are pretty. I haven'thad a new breed in over 8 years! (At least I 'm consistant!) But they really caught my interest.

I have them in 24 x 36 cooping.I have much bigger cages for kindling. Do you have any recommendations about the breed? Anything I NEED to know?

Those are the cage sizes we have, they work just fine.

Although we're pretty new ourselves I think the biggest piece of advice I'll give is to be patient. You'll pull your hair out more over that silvering than anything else. When it comes down to points the general type is the most important, but for some reason a well silvered coat is just so striking. The thing is that kits are born without it and the develop it at different rates (as I'm sure you already know), get used to trying to guess which ones will have the perfect coat at adulthood and which ones will be too silvered or not enough. Also kits can be born with blazes (which can count against a perfectly even coat), which are likely to molt out but sometimes never do. Just be patient watch how your kits develop and get a feel for gauging how that pelt will come in.

...Ha ha ha at least that's what everyone keeps telling me.

*edited for grammatical errors, I'm bad at multitasking*

They are beautiful Kathy I am so chuffed you got them :DWe have quite a few breeders of them over here. when I am at the next few shows I will try and get some piccies for you of them :)its always nice to comapre them country to country as well

Would LOVE to see how they look "over there"! Of course, I'm still trying to learn what they should look like "over here"! LOL!

And Morgana is SUCH a baby... 9 weeks, tough to judge right now. Merlin is a bit older and promising (from what I've seen and read!). But he's a real love. Runs over and puts his head under my hand to be petted! (Just stole my heart!)

The breed is known for being very sweet and gentle. I just love them.

We're trying to hook up with the 4H group in our area. I think raising them would be an excellent project...very straight forward breed standard, good temperament for kids...

wow, cool! they're gorgeous, although i have to say, the fur reminds me of when some one with black hair grays.....ooo, i wonder if i could get away with telling mom she looks like a silver fox? she's not very gray though, just a sprinkling, and it looks more sliver than gray. oh well, i'll find some one else to say it too:nasty:

oh, sorry.........:threadhijacked:

:whistling

any way, congrats!:pink iris:

They are beautiful!

I remember almost getting a pair from Gypsy, a former RO member at a show a while ago. They were very pretty and I was very tempted.

Roger

Back