Signs that bunnies will get along

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Moby_

Reaction score
Hi, I have some questions about bringing home a second bunny.

For a while now I've been searching for a second bunny to be companion to Moby, my 5 month Netherland Dwarf. He was neutered more than 8 weeks ago.

My first question is how to tell if Moby likes one bunny more than another? I've been checking my local humane societies for rabbits (literally every day), because I know the rabbit will be neutered/spayed, and the shelter allows bunny dates to make sure the rabbits will get along. What are some signs that the bunnies like each other, and will be likely to have an easy bonding process?

I have really been wanting a Holland Lop, but if its clear that Moby loves another bunny at first sight, then I wouldn't be opposed to adopting it whatever the breed. I'm sure I will love them too.

There is a breeder in my area where I bought Moby, but I'm unsure about her because the first bunny I got from her was sick (though she warned me he was underweight) and developed head tilt after 48 hours; I brought that bunny back and took home Moby, who is healthy and happy (but the memory of that first bunny will haunt me forever, I feel like I betrayed the little guy by bringing him back ...). I've been debating getting a Holland Lop from her. But Moby might not like that bunny, and I will have to pay to have it spayed as well, so I think rescuing from the humane society is the better option.

Thanks for your time!

Hi, I have bonded a few rabbits now and in my experience they don’t bond on the first date, it usually takes a few intro’s. The first date has always been a little scary with some chasing, humping and even biting. But I have been surprised at how rabbits with completely different personalities have bonded for life and are really affectionate towards each other.

To bond bunnies we usually keep them where they can smell each other for a couple of weeks and introduce them face-to-face for a few minutes a day, in mutual territory, letting them chase each other around and intervening if it looks like a fight is about to break out. We have put them in an empty bath tub before as they are both unsure of the slippery surface and turn to each other for mutual support - the same can be achieved by putting them in a box taking them for a drive.

I wouldn’t expect to see love at first sight, but I would spend time with the new bun yourself to make sure she has a gentle personality (bearing in mind females tend to be more aggressive than males, and lop eared buns can also be incompatible with Netherlands dwarfs as they are both typically less friendly than other breeds). Don’t be surprised if you maintain your strong bond with Moby and yet don’t develop such a strong bond with his mate - just remember you’re buying her to keep him company and that will keep him happy and healthy.

I hope this helps,
Sarah

Latest posts

Back