Signs of Pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demismith

Reaction score
I've had different answers from different people about this, and was wondering, how do you know if a doe's pregnant? How does her behaviour change, and do you do any tests?

I had my doubts a few days ago, but now she keeps grunting at me, she was mated on the 5th.

I've heard about palpating, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it myself, I wouldn't want to risk stressing the mum or damaging babies

Generally, the best way to test if she is pregnant, is to place her with the buck again. If she is pregnant, she will refuse his advances. However, this doesn't always give you a 100% guarantee as she may not be pregnant and is just being stubborn towards the buck, or worse, if she isn't pregnant, you may have just have allowed a new chance for conception to take place with the test.

So, if you are not familiar with palpation nor comfortable with it (as you mentioned) then don't do it. By the last week of her pregancy she should start to get a distended and firmer belly and may start pulling hair out and carrying around hay in her mouth to build a nest. But once again, this is not a sure 100% guarantee. The reason for this, is that does can have false pregnancies. They may be bred and then think they are pregnant, but really aren't.

If you would like more information, feel free to check out our website. Just click on the "Breedings" tab. We have a load of information concerning breeding and the proper care of the doe. Hope this helps and good luck!

http://www.inlerabbitry.webs.com

Thankyou :)

My doe (A Thrianta) was mated to her breeders best stud buck on the 5th, but I thought she may have absorbed the litter after the VERY long journey and stress of a new home. I'm just hoping she didn't!

If you have the proper hand for it you can be 100% with palating. I never worry about being wrong.

To me palpating is the only way, besides x-ray or ultrasound, to be 100% sure of pregnancy. Mood, trying to rebreed, weight gain, hair pulling and any of the rest are just things you can watch to try and possibly tell, none of them can tell you for sure if they are pregnant.

"Test mating" is not an effective way to determine pregnancy. Many pregnant does will act receptive and breed again. Also refusal to mate certainly does not mean a doe is already pregnant. ;)

For those who areskilled at palpating, it is a very effective way to determine pregnancy. (14 days into the pregnancy is the optimal time to palpate).

"(14 days into the pregnancy is the optimal time to palpate)."

They are perfect size for counting as well, any smaller or bigger and it is to hard to be sure. However, if you are not very skilled at palpating never try to count! It is harder to hurt than babies than people think but one slip and that baby is *pop*.

She nearly took my hand off last night! Grunting like mad, especially when I touched her belly (I wasn't going to palpate, just did it to see if she reacted). She was running away doing a strange squeaky grunt too from one of my bucks with her tail tucked right under her.

Demismith wrote:
Thankyou :)

My doe (A Thrianta) was mated to her breeders best stud buck on the 5th, but I thought she may have absorbed the litter after the VERY long journey and stress of a new home. I'm just hoping she didn't!
That's what possibly happened to the doe I took with me from Harrogate. She also had been mated by the breeder but no babies. No wonder after the stress of travelling:(
Having said that the way your doe behaves really seems to suggest that she is pregnant:)

Latest posts

Back