Sign of pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomorrow264

Reaction score
26 days ago I found out that my buns were not 2 females but 1 of each and seperated them immediately. I've been feeling my females belly every couple days to see if I can feel anything in there but I haven't. What I did notice today was that her nipples were protruding. Could thisbe a signthat she is pregnant? Thanks in advance.

It could possibly be a sign.

To be absolutely sure, the best thing to do is wait until 36 days after she was last with the male. Even very experienced breeders have troubles palpating or finding signs of pregnancy. So the best way to be sure is to just wait, preparing for the birth regardless.

I would give her a box with lots of hay, and about an inch or two of shavings in the bottom for her to make a nest in. She should start stuffing her mouth with hay and building a nest. Some buns will make several versions of a nest and keep rebuilding until they give birth. Others will wait until just before or as they are giving birth.

If she doesn't give birth by day 36, then she wasn't pregnant. Then you can look into getting her spayed and the male neutered, and there is a good potential that they will bond again.

However, if you get the male neutered before getting the girl spayed, be aware that he can impregnate her for up to 8 weeks after his operation. So they have to be kept completely separate until 8 weeks after his surgery.

--Dawn

I put a shoe box in her cage yesterday with aspen and hay on top and she wents nuts digging in it. Looked like she was having a blast. It was pretty funny to watch :)

It is pretty amusing to watch a bunny build a nest. Was she stuffing her mouth with hay?

If she's nest building, there is a good possibility that she is pregnant, but again, nothing to do but wait!

--Dawn

She ate a little but wasn't stuffing it in her mouth just throwing it around. Around noon today I noticed what I believe to be cecals in her cage. Ive never seen them before, they look like small poo clumped together and mooshier then normal poo.

Sounds like she was having fun playing in the box, not necessarily making a nest. If she's a first time mom, then nest building can often be left until the very last moment.

If it's just one cecal, I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes I'll find one in my cages, normally one of the bunnies got distracted while consuming. If it becomes a pattern or there are many being left, then something might be up diet wise.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back