*SIGH* A trip to the vet next week....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
Yofi has an appointment to see a vet this coming Monday. Last evening I was looking at him and noticed something under his chin...turns out he has one large lump under his jaw, and what feels like one or two more on the other side. :(I'm hoping it's not serious, and can be easily treated.

And he will be going to a vet I've never seen before. I gave up on my vet a while ago as I no longer trust his decisions - he is definitely not a rabbit-saavy vet, as he claimed to be -nor can I pay his prices any more. (He charged $309.00 when I had Raph euthanized...three times what other vet clinics were charging.) This new vet was recommended by another vet who said he's got a very good reputation as being 'rabbit-saavy', so am crossing my fingers that it works out.

Poor Yofi...:(

How old is little Yofi? I hope everything goes well. I would be going crazy having to wait until next week!

Thanks guys...:)

Yofi is almost 5 months old (he will turn 5 months on the 23rd). I had the option of either waiting until Monday to see this new vet, or...take him to my old vet. And I don't trust the old vet's opinion enough to put Yofi's health in his hands, unfortunately. I'm hoping this will be something like an abcess that can be treated quickly...am hoping his teeth are okay, and am hoping it's not a serious 'something'.

I hate it when these guys get sick...it's such a feeling of helplessness, and such a worry over them - as we all know.

Well, at least Yofi is running around and playing, and still eating, drinking, and pooping everywhere.

Well, that last part sounds like a healthy bunny! LOL!

Maybe it's something silly - has he been around to be bitten by anything like spiders or a masquito?

I would wait myself then - I would want the new vet.

Yep, except for the lumps you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him. He is constantly getting into trouble! :)Yofi hasn't been bitten by anything that I'm aware of...I haven't taken him outdoors very much. This doesn't really look like a bite (looks like some sort of abcess to me)but hey, one never knows.

Yes, it really is too bad about my regular vet, because as a person I really like him. I had been taking my pets to him for the past 20 years, mainly because I don't have a car and he had the only clinic within walking distance. But over the years I've doubted so many of his diagnoses, yet really had nothing to go on other than my 'gut feeling'. Then two or three years ago I took Scooby in to be neutered, and he died in surgery...and I felt awful, because I'd had the feeling he didn't know as much about rabbits as he claimed, but Itrusted him anyway. Whether Scooby's death was something that could have been prevented, I'll never know...but it certainly did make me wonder - esp. when the vet didn't know that food shouldn't be withheld the night before surgery...and I also suspect now that he didn't use an anesthetic that was safer for rabbits (he didn't tell me what he used on Scooby...just told me that he was using the same procedures for years on all his spays/neuters of cats and dogs and never had a problem). And then in the last couple of months I've talked to neighbors...three of whom used to take their pets to him and now swear they never will again, because they all get that 'gut feeling' that something's wrong...that he doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

Anyway, I recently discovered there is a pet taxi service here in the city, so now my options are more open to clinics that are farther away (yay!). And the one I'm taking Yofi to on Monday has a pretty solid reputation...it's a clinic with several practicing vets, rather than a private one that my old vet ran. I'm going to be so nervous up until I take him in, I hate waiting...but so far he's been looking okay otherwise (crossing fingers and toes!).

Have to run...they just shut off the lights here at work! LOL

Thanks for your concern, guys....I'll post what the vet says on Monday. :)

Poor Yofi! Hopefully it will be something simple, like irritated scent glands. He is a hormonal little boy, after all.

Keep us updated! I hope this new vet is better.

Oh no, I really didn't want to hear this :(. Poor Yofi, and poor you! I agree with waiting until you can try the new vet - at least Yofi seems to be in good spirits :).

I'll be praying that it is something silly and easily treatable

Jan

I never thought of the scent gland thing! Maybe something is just plugged up!

It is sad that you like your old vet and then something like that happens. I think your gut feeling is right on the neuter. My vet did a blood test to see if Bo could handle the anesthesia. It cost a bit of money but I was so relieved!

Aww...I hope sweet Yofi's okay...and will be awaiting news on his condition...

And that's horrible to think that something's "off" about your vet, but he's a nice guy otherwise...:( Wish I could give ya a hug with everything you've been through...but an EHug is better than nothin', right? These are for all of ya...:D

:hug::groupparty::hugsquish::hug2::flowerskiss::big kiss:

And some dandelions for Yofi to enjoy...:bouquet:

Good luck to you and Yofi at the vet!! (FINGERS CROSSED)

Sorry you have to deal with this - it really is SO hard when they are ill or something is going onthat you don't really know about. I'm hoping this net vet really IS rabbit-savvy.

I moved this to the Infirmary.

Here's hoping it's nothing.

(PS: I do hope the vet who charged $300+ for that isn't in our Rabbit Savvy vet listings, and if they are, it would be good if the experieinceswere noted).

sas :goodluck

Hi everybody, and thanks so much for the positive vibes for Yofi! Well, I came home late this evening, and a bit of good news is that the lump under Yofi's jaw has gone down a bit. So that's a good sign, anyway. (hhhmmm...maybe it is his scent glands, naturestee. I do agree that the boy is hormonal! He was ogling Kaya's stuffed toy again tonight with amorous stares, silly rabbit.) He doesn't show signs of anything else going on in his body; well, except for the sneezing -- he still does that. I did take him in to see another vet just over a week ago about it, and she didn't seem too concerned, though she said it is possible it's pasteurella that's causing the sneezing. (It's still a dry sneeze, no discharge...just a moist nose sometimes.) She admitted that while she does treat rabbits, she doesn't see that many...so she recommended this particular vet to me for Yofi, since I told her I was looking for a vet who was rabbit-saavy. And when I called the clinic that she told me this particular 'bunny vet' was at, all I said was I had been directed by another vet to call them as I was looking for a 'rabbit vet', and the girl said, 'Oh, you mean Dr. Auger'. So I guess he does take care of all the rabbit cases there. So hopefully this new vet will be able to check Yofi out properly and find out what's going on.

Oh, and Yofi's still up to his tricks. I was feeding him and Anna earlier and I put Yofi's food in his cage. He darted in from behind me, did a quick assessment of his 'booty', grabbed a chunk of apple and took off for the kitchen with it. Then he returned a few moments later, sorted again, grabbed a big Romaine leaf and again headed for the kitchen. He's decided that's his dining area.

And he's also decided that he loves rice cakes too. I had one in my hand tonight as I was sitting on the sofa; Yofi jumped up beside me, caught one whiff of the rice cake and was all over me, trying to yank it from my hand. He's a pig! And I thought living with Kaya (who will eat anything) was bad. Now I've got two of them on my hands! LOL.

Anyway, at least a bit of the worry has gone down over Yofi....thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post as soon as Yofi comes back from the vet on Monday. Here's hoping all goes well. :)

Pipp wrote:
(PS: I do hope the vet who charged $300+ for that isn't in our Rabbit Savvy vet listings, and if they are, it would be good if the experieinceswere noted).

sas :goodluck

Nope sas, he shouldn't be on that list (I tried to check but the system won't let me access that thread). Actually I was asked to provide his name at one point, back when I was writing updates about Raph and had mentioned that the vet offered to do x-rays on Raph after hours at a reduced cost. It was nice of him to do so, and I wound up paying $200 for that - I have no idea if that was a good rate or not - but when I was asked to include the vet's name on the list here I didn't, simply because of his track record. There were so many times when he just didn't seem confident in what he was doing...not just with rabbits, but other pets as well. I recall many (many) years ago when my cat Snooch was ill...I knew he had cancer, but it hadn't been diagnosed. I was taking him back and forth to the vet for test after test and still he didn't have anything conclusive. Yet Snooch was getting sicker by the day...he vomited after eating, couldn't maintain his weight, and in the end was almost skeletal. I knew he was dying just by looking at him, but the vet kept suggesting more tests...and honestly, in looking back I knew I should have requested Snooch be humanely euthanized as he was suffering, but at the same time I didn't want to face losing him...so every time the vet suggested another test, I became hopeful that something could be done. Snooch wound up dying in my arms one morning, a couple of hours before he was scheduled to go in for yet another test. :(

I'm just so relieved to have finally found a way to get back and forth to a vet clinic that is further away, as now I have options for my pets...something I didn't have before (except during an emergency...then my sister or brother would take us). It sucks to not have transportation sometimes!

Oh, and I just wanted to share this rather cute thing about Yofi. The markings on his shoulders look (to me) like tiny angel's wings:

wingsSmall.jpg

So even though he acts like the devil at times, he really is a little angel. ;)

(And here's a weird photo I thought I'd just toss in...I was outside one night trying to take a pic of the moon, and was testing the flash on Kaya, my dog. She was in the middle of shaking her head when I took this one, and her ears were all squished down...she just looks...weird)

weirdkayapicSmall.jpg

:p

Bassetluv wrote:
Oh, and Yofi's still up to his tricks. I was feeding him and Anna earlier and I put Yofi's food in his cage. He darted in from behind me, did a quick assessment of his 'booty', grabbed a chunk of apple and took off for the kitchen with it. Then he returned a few moments later, sorted again, grabbed a big Romaine leaf and again headed for the kitchen. He's decided that's his dining area.

And he's also decided that he loves rice cakes too. I had one in my hand tonight as I was sitting on the sofa; Yofi jumped up beside me, caught one whiff of the rice cake and was all over me, trying to yank it from my hand. He's a pig! And I thought living with Kaya (who will eat anything) was bad. Now I've got two of them on my hands! LOL.

:laugh:What a character!

Sending many vibes, thoughts, and prayers that the lump is nothing serious.:pray:

Bassetluv wrote:
Nope sas, he shouldn't be on that list (I tried to check but the system won't let me access that thread). Actually I was asked to provide his name at one point, back when I was writing updates about Raph and had mentioned that the vet offered to do x-rays on Raph after hours at a reduced cost. It was nice of him to do so, and I wound up paying $200 for that - I have no idea if that was a good rate or not - but when I was asked to include the vet's name on the list here I didn't, simply because of his track record.
You can't access the thread? :shock: What happens? :huh

And paying $200 for xrays in this neighbourhood is high! I think Pipp's cost me $135 or so. That guy is a:lipsrsealed:.

sas :grumpy:

Pipp wrote:
You can't access the thread? :shock: What happens? :huh

And paying $200 for xrays in this neighbourhood is high! I think Pipp's cost me $135 or so. That guy is a:lipsrsealed:.

sas :grumpy:

I can access it now, sas...the other night when I tried to go into it, the system kept telling me I wasn't logged on - even though I was logged on in the rest of the forum. I just checked the Ontario list (as well as the link for the list of vets in the ontariorabbitsorg) and he isn't cited in either one.

I was charged $200 for 3 x-rays (taken over various parts of Raph's body), but initially when he was quoting me prices, he was going to charge $700. His price dropped significantly after I saw him a few times and said I just couldn't afford it. My neighbor stopped going to him with his dog after he thought the vet wasn't confident in his own diagnoses...and he also felt that the vet played on peoples' emotions, charging them more if he felt they were very attached to their animals. I do know that when I was presented with the bill for having Raph euthanized, his receptionist brought it to me before Raph was put down...I was in the exam room waiting for the vet (waited over half an hour for him to come in even though I was the only client there, with dogs barking in the background and Raph lying there...I was not impressed). She asked if I wanted to take care of payment while I was waiting, so I agreed...and when I saw the bill it floored me. I said, "Oh Kim...this can't be right", but she told me that was the going rate. So I paid it through my tears - dealing with losing Raph was so hard, and then to be presented with an enormous bill...$309.00 ...sheesh. A few days later I decided to call a couple of other clinics to see what they charged, and they were both around $120.00. Even when one of my neighbors had his rottie put down, he was only charged $135.00.

Anyway, that's my rant on the vet. And for so many years I had no choice but to go to him...I'm so happy I now have some options. :)

And as for Yofi, today the lump has gone down significantly. It has a scab in the center of it, so whether it was an abcess that drained, or if it is something else, I guess I'll find out on Monday. At least it's not bothering him in any way that I can see. :)

Latest posts

Back