Sick With Worry: Kevin is getting Neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
I'm so worried about my baby, Kevin. I dropped him off this morning at the vet to be neutered. She said I could pick him up tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure she mis-spoke because I seem to remember picking up my last ones the same day (because the stress of the vet tends to keep them from eating).

I would NEVER leave one of my own rabbits overnight, just because of that. It's hard enough to get them eating again at home without adding the extra stress of being in a strange place. I would only do it if there were complications and emergency vet care was needed.

I just had one of my buns spayed and spent most of the evening and night trying to keep her warm, because of how cold they get from having a GA. I can devote all my attention to the care of my bun, and I don't know that a vet office would pay as close attention to the needs of my rabbit as I would. Not to mention that I also know my rabbits behavior a lot better, and would be able to better tell if something is wrong. They would do the general stuff like syringe feed if needed and give pain meds, but that can all be done from the comfort of home.

Maybe for a new rabbit owner, or if someone has no experience with neuter/spay after care and is uncomfortable with knowing how to deal with it and get their bun eating again, then maybe overnight vet care might be better. But home is really the best place for them to recover. Plus this is something you already have experience with.

Yeah, they're keeping him overnight and would not let me bring him home. They made me look like an idiot in front of all of the other clients. I won't be going back there. I'm pissed. I took him some more hay and some pellets and glared at them the whole time I was there.

That's odd. Maybe he's scheduled to be neutered at the end of the day, so the only option is to keep him overnight? I'd be pissed too though, the way they handled it. But I'm sure Kevin will pull through, neutering is not a very invasive surgery and from what I remember, the nurses told me my boys did start eating at the vet's after they were neutered.

I have to agree. You should have been able to bring your rabbit home same day. The hospital has dogs and cats that also stay overnight. You can tell your vet that you are willing to sign documents releasing them of liability and that you are taking your rabbit home against vet orders. They cannot force you to keep you rabbit there over night. I had to sign one of those for Bino when I stepped on him and brought him home, but there is no reason for a neuter to have to stay overnight.

Back