Sick rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay

thanks again for all your help guys!she is alert and still pretty strong.When lift the skin on the back of her neck it goes back down qickly so im guessing she isnt to terribly dehydrated.

bunnyluver1991 wrote:
... When lift the skin on the back of her neck it goes back down qickly so im guessing she isnt to terribly dehydrated.

For the record, I've heard this is nota great indication of dehydration in rabbits, more for cats and dogs. That said,one of my rabbit vetsdoes do thattoo.

Still, it doesn't indicatefluids in the GI tract, which actually works by pushing water through it, so extra hydration is still essential in stasis. That's why the best treatment is almost always a subcutaneous infusion.

If a bunny is actually dehydrated, though, they tend to not eat, either, and that causes a host of other problems.

But I digress.

Glad to hear she's looking strong. Now to get her pumping out those poops! That's not a lot of food, so still recommending the pumpkin. Failing that,best to soak and mush up her pellets (making sure they're very well soaked) and try and get her to eat those.

(What kind of pellets are they? Would be good to know the protein and fiber counts).

ADD: Mixing them with the banana mush would work, too.I think you're okay with the banana and pineapple,the greatest danger with fruit seems to be sending their gutsinto an imbalance,watch for liquidy cecals (or further constipation) but it's good to give her something with energy, so it'sjust a matter of not giving her too much of it. Her conditiondoessound very hopeful. :)

sas :clover:

Praying for your baby...

Also, a few things:

Pumpkin = canned, 100%, unsweetened pumpkin. You can find it at your regular grocery store.

Thought I would add that, since I didn't know what it was until someone explained it for me...

Hope to hear of continual improvement for your sweetie.....

:pray: :pleaseplease:

And Pam's right, it would be best if you could get her to a good, rabbit-savvy vet...and she could really help you with a good one. :)

:hug: We're just tryin' to help, Hun. :)

Thank you-while im am overwhelmed with all the support you all have given me I simply cannot afford a vet. Im traveling to the pharmacy today and im going to get some simethicone-its not a question of love its a question of money.Im working on her day and night and im not going to give up.

Thank you all for your helpful tips and prayers.

C.c:bunny18

How is she this morning?

Any better?Has she pooped?

(Don't forget the Pedialyte at the store, too!)

sas :clover:

ADD: And you may want to ask on the off chance if they carry 'Lactated Ringers', which is the bag of solution the vet would deliver via the needle and tube set-up, you could actually do your own Sub Q infusion in an emergency.

Well she hasnt exactly improved but she isnt looking much better either.

Mom went to the pharmacy a bit ago and ill be suprised if they have what she needs (its a rinky dink country place) She pooped a bit last night after i rubbed her tum for a while but there isnt anything coming out today yet. Her tummy is making odd noises so a suspect she has gas. Im waiting on the Simethicone-I hope it works:bunny18

I believe grocery stores will carry simethicone - I know our Walmart carries it. (It isn't something you need a prescription for).

Good luck with her - I'm sure many folks are following this thread and wishing you luck.

Peg

Well guys-

I was able to get ahold of some simethicone and she seems to be passing gas now.She has stopped eating but I have been giving her water,soaked bran flakes in water (for fiber),mushed up banana with water,and baby food through a syringe. Im trying not to giver her too much as she pooed maybe six lil turdies-small and sticky-they were rock hard.

Does it sound like im doing things right?

C.c

Edited to add link to the original thread: Sick Rabbit

bunnyluver1991 wrote:
I was able to get ahold of some simethicone and she seems to be passing gas now.She has stopped eating but I have been giving her water,soaked bran flakes in water (for fiber),mushed up banana with water,and baby food through a syringe. Im trying not to giver her too much as she pooed maybe six lil turdies-small and sticky-they were rock hard.

Does it sound like im doing things right?

Ack, actually, no!

Do NOT give her branflakes or any other carb or sugar, she really needs fiber.

THe mushy poos are probably cecal matter, her system is becoming imbalanced.

If you're going to syringe feed her anything, soak and much up her pellets.

Common misconception that bran flakes are fiber. Pellets, canned pumpkin, hay and fresh veggies are fibre. (Can you get canned pumpkin and pedialye?)

What kind of baby food? That can be helpful.

sas

Yeah I agree with Pipp- too many carbs! Seriously, dont give her anything other than hay, pellets (hopefully they are timothy) and canned pumpkin. Dark greens like romaine lettuce would probably be oktoo.

And make sure shes getting lots of water too.

Have you tried belly rubs? You can gently massage her tummy sort of working your way backwards towards her hind legs. I like to very gently lift asI work my way back which also helps release gas.

But yeah, no fruits, nothing sweet or carby in any way ;)

When I first went shopping for simethecone, I couldn't find it. Then I learned that it was called "Oval" which is baby gas meds. And that simethecone was the medical ingrediant.

So make sure that the medical ingrendiant is simethecone. Also, a can of pumpkin is good. You can usually find it in the baking section, next to the pumpkin pie filling. It's important not to feed your bun pumpkin pie filling accidentally!

Do you have papaya tablets where you are? Papaya tablets can prevent these things.

In addition to the above advices, also keep your bun moving. Try to make her run or even walk (motion help the intestines work, the same way as with humans). Also in regard to massage, give it to her as much time as possible, not just in short intervals. Any signs she's in pain?

Marietta

Hey guys

she is doing a bit better today. She is pooing and peeing a bit (still not regular but better) I got her to eat some soaked rabbit pellets on her own.Now she wont drink on her own.I've been giving water to her in a syringe.How do I get her to drink on her own? I gave her simthicone the first night and it stopped her belly noises.Shes looking perkier but not 100% For those of you that have been through this before-How long will it take for her to get back to norm and pooing on a regualr basis?

C.c

I'm sorry...refresh my memory...does she have a water bottle, or a crock? If she's
got a water bottle, you might want to check to be sure water's coming out of the spigot, just to be sure. :)

Another thing you can do is add a bit of apple juice, or flavored Pedialyte to her water (my apologies if this has been suggested before). Another way to get water into her is by giving her pumpkin, or by giving her veggies she's had and you know she's okay with, and making sure they're rather wet (almost dripping) when you give them to her.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back