Sick rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a rabbit who is very sick and I need some help. There is NO way I can get her to a vet.

She seems to be constipated or maybe have and obstruction. She poops only tiny hard rocks and no very often.She will only nibble at her food and takes water forcfully. Is there anything I can do?
Is there a at home treatment that may help her?
As I said it is not possible for me to get her to a vet and she is in
pain. she is laying in her pen not moving,lethargic,and shakes when I pick her up.
She is a female-never had surgery-im not sure how old she is beacuse she was given to me.

PLEASE somebody know what I can do????

Thanks

C.C

She is in serious condition and does requirea veterinarian's care ASAP. It sounds like she is beginning to suffer organ failure. She's probably very dehydrated at this point and requires IV fluids.

There's not much you can do at home as far as supportive care when she is in such bad condition. I'd keep her warm and provide calories with Nutri Cal (dog/cat high calorie supplement).

I wouldn't try syringing liquids or food (except for a tiny amount of Nutri Cal on her tongue). The struggling will further stress her and she might aspirate the liquids/food.

Pam

Well

she isnt that bad off-she will eat a bit and she just seems to be having cramps.

there are no vets in my area and its just not possible to take her to one.

im rubbing her tummy and some poo is coming out-what else can I do AT HOME

please

Ugh, she does sound really sick. :(

Normally lots of water, or better yet Pedialyte (or even Gatorade), and canned pumpkin along with tummy rubs and exercisewould be called for, but she sounds shocky so the fluids won't work orally, she needs an 'IV', a needle under the skin with fluids given to her that way.

Where are you located? Maybe we have somebody in the area who can help?

(And Nutrical is good if you have access to some).

sas :pray:

A small amount of baby aspirin can be given for pain.

Keep her warm and give her a little Nutri Cal.

GI stasis can be life threatening, so I am hesitant to advise home treatment in her situation. If she is lethargic and shaking, she's not doing well.

Pam

i live on the ohio-PA boarder and im in the middle of a snowstorm. I'm afraid the only help i can get right now is on the computer. She might not make it but I have to try. Thank you for the help.

When did she last poop? Eat?

Is she looking uncomfortable? When did this start?

Is sheswallowing the water?

She could be having a gas attack, so you have any gas medicine containing Simethicone or are you near a drug store? If you can get to a drug store, baby gas medicine drops maybegood.

Very long, gentle tummy rubs are your best bet, or maybe takeher for a car ride or put her on a dryer or something thatvibrates, that may help break up thegas bubbles.

Don't use mineral oil or meat tenderizer.

Is she in pain?

sas

she pooped little rocks this morning

she wont eat anything but leafy greens she is NOT grinding her teeth oor shaking now she just seems to not feel well and is straining to poop. and she is swallowing the water.

I really wish you could get her to a vet. She might not make it through the night without some fluids.

Just keep her warm (you can put some uncooked rice in a sock and pop it in the microwave then put it up next to her tummy), keep encouraging her to drink and eat those greens.

Does she have timothy hay? Put some in front of her to encourage her to eat it. If you have some apple juce or other juice you can lightly mist her hay which also might encourage her to eat it.

Do you have access to a pharmacy? I would try to get some children's pedialyte and mix it in with her water. That will help rehydrate her.

Are you sure she didnt injest anything like carpet or some other foreign object?

Are you sure she's straining to poop and not pee?

She's experiencing a GI tract slowdown, which is often a symptom of something else. Did it come on suddenly or gradually?

If she's eating veggies, best to soak them in water for awhile before she gets them, the more liquids in her the better. (The mineral oil isn't good because itkeeps any material stuck in there fromgetting hydrated and flushed out).

When you say cramps, is it more of a hunched up thing or is she pressing her tummy to the floor and appearing uncomfortable? Can you hear her tummy making noises or is it quiet?

sas

the only thing i can imagine is that she may have eaten goat food.

I gave her timothy hay but she doesnt want it.this has been going on for 2 days now.Im trying to keep her hydrated.

She is trying to poop=it came on suddenly,she is hunched up.

I gave her some mashed bannana with water and she took that.

im not hearing any loud gurgles-ill try soaking her veggies in water

What's in goat food? That might make a difference.

You're doing a good job. Hydration is the key.has she already been drinking alot? Pedialyte is better than water, can you get some? There may be a home-recipe kicking around, I'll take a look, but the store bought stuff is best.

Simethicone won't hurt, and if she's in pain, a little aspirin, motrin or ibuprofen would be okay, but it really must be given to her with food and water.

Honestly, very long tummy rubs are very helpful.

sas

pellets,corn oats grain,with molasses on it-im not 100% what else is in goat food- i can get the tag in look if it helps.im rubbing her tummy as i speak.

does she have a chance?

if she's eating and pooping even a little, you're ahead of the game, but they can go downhill so fast, and if it's a blockage from something like corn husks, will be a challenge, but still doable.

She may not feel like moving, but it's best if she does move around some.

If she's eating the banana, maybe she'll eat canned pumpkin?? Can you get some? If she's been not eating much for a couple of days, she's going to need a little bit more going through her system, wet fiber in pumpkin would be great.

How much would you guess she's eaten in the last two days?

sas

Yeah the goat food could be causing this. GI issues can come on suddenly though and be very severe.

She definitely could pull through this. Youre doing a great job with what you have.

Just keep her warm, hydrated and eating greens and hay. Id go easy on anything carby/sweet like banana or fruits. You want to encourage things that are high in fiber right now.

If you can, I would definitely run to the store and get some canned (100% pure) pumpkin and childrens pedialyte. If you cant, just keep encouraging hay, water, and dark greens like romaine lettuce.

bunnyluver1991 wrote:
i live on the ohio-PA boarder and im in the middle of a snowstorm. I'm afraid the only help i can get right now is on the computer. She might not make it but I have to try. Thank you for the help.

I live on the OH-PA border also - where the heck are you having a snowstorm at??? As of the 6:25 estsatellite map, there is no snow falling anywhere along the border - except for a little moving into Ashtabula, OH that hasn't made it to the border yet. It's clear and getting cold - but no snow.

We may be able to recommend a vet in your area - I'm North, so if you're up in this area I can give you a couple names.

Pam

I find my guys are more inclined to eat herbs like parsely and dill, I soak them in water and wave them under their noses. Most of the time,they don't wantthem but if I keep waving it and trying to stick a sprig in their mouth, they'll get mad and grab it from me to throw it, and then start munching it instead!

Hope your bunny isfeeling better soon. :(

Here's an article on GI Stasis written by a member here, Naturestee.

GI Stasis: What Everybunny SlaveShould Know

Sounds like that's what you're up against.

sas :clover:

Today

she had a couple lettuce leaves-a bit a of cabbage leaf-a piece of pinnapple

and then the water and banana-she has been eating a bit.

I have her on a heating pad now and she seems to be enjoying the heat.

I hope this benifits her.

And thanks for the artcile on G.I stasis-this Sounds like what she is going through

Latest posts

Back